What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I like it when a review has specific examples regarding sound and picture quality issues and not the usual talk.
I agree and this is the ONLY reason I read DVD reviews.

I want to own all of the original cast Star Trek (SE) movies, but I might just wait for Columbia House to get this one and get it for under $10.00.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
This was pre-ordered at warp speed many moons ago.
It's Part Deux of a loose Star Trek Trilogy, ending with 'The Voyage Home', 'Search for Spock' is one of the more enjoyable odd-numbered titles.
A favorite bit is the whole 'stealing the Enterprise' sequence, fantastic ILM effects and great James Horner music add to some great Trek moments.
Christopher Lloyd's batty Klingon Kruge is a fun over-the-top villain, though not on a par with Khan Noonian Singh.

Hopefully it won't be long for the special edition of Star Trek IV-Search for the Humpback Whales.

And than its (hold your breath) Star Trek V-The Wrath of 'God' (and trekkies).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I was going to pass on this one, but a Leonard Nimoy commentary talking about why he changed his mind to return would be more than worth it. Upgrade time again, cha-ching!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I don't give a monkeys about the whole 'odd-numbered' thing. I've always loved Search for Spock, and this dvd looks to do it justice. Thankfully I've held off getting any Trek dvds for the three years I've been into the format (I had the movies on laserdisc anyway), and that looks to have paid off. Although I have got the Wrath of Khan SE with a bilingual cover, which sucks.

Let's hope to be seeing new anamorphic transfers for V and VI on their eventual re-release, with VI in 2.35:1, not 2:1 as on previous widescreen releases. Whether that was director-approved or not, I would appreciate a 2.35:1 transfer to match up with all past and present Trek movies. Nic Meyer, are you listening?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Nice review! I'll be buying to replace the original release. The wealth of extras is the biggest selling point for me. Hopefully "Star Trek V-The Wrath of 'God'" will have really good extras.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
It's Part Deux of a loose Star Trek Trilogy, ending with 'The Voyage Home', 'Search for Spock' is one of the more enjoyable odd-numbered titles.
I've always felt that it was a four-part series, ending with 'The Final Frontier'. ST:IV ends with the crew getting a new ship, the new Enterprise, and ST:V starts with them on the new ship and trying to get it working right. I believe only a small amount of time has passed between the two movies due to some of the references the crew made in the early parts of ST:V. That shouldn't knock it out of being part of the series, though, because a few months also passed between the end of ST:III and the beginning of ST:IV, too.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Since ST-TMP came out, the biggest selling point for these re-releases has been the Okuda's text commentary. Kind of like getting a good film and a good book at the same time. More titles should use this underused feature.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the great review Ron! I also enjoy the text commentaries a lot! They've been a big highlight on the last 2 Star Trek discs.

I'm wondering if there was a difference with the color between the new disc and the old version. I recall that the colors were adjusted some for Meyer's Directors version of Wrath of Khan. I noticed a big difference between the two releases.
Are the colors on this new version of III also adjusted?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Pre-ordered and received from DDD. Thanks for the review, Ron...

As Spock would say,

"Live long, and prosper."

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Finally watched my copy tonight, there is an improvement over the previous release, it might be slight but it's there. Definately going to Dual Layer helped. The extras are a bit dry, I really hope they hire a better producer for these for future releases. The Captains Log show was OK thou. And hey is it me or has Robin Curtis aged really well? She looked better to me know than when she made the flick.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The extra that I found most interesting was the one about the inventing of the Klingon language.

BarryS

Second Unit
The odd-numbered theory is crap. The only Trek movie I really don't like is number 5, The Final Frontier. Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Search For Spock are very worthwile movies.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

I agree!

If CITIZEN KANE were re-released under the title: STAR TREK XI: THE WRATH OF KANE, fans would hate it simply because of the odd number in the title.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
And hey is it me or has Robin Curtis aged really well?
Ditto Dave!
She graduated from the same college I went to a year before I got there... I, however, did not age as gracefully!

And what's with all the hand held camera crap during some of those extras interviews? Are they trying for NYPD Blue, or couldn't they afford a tripod?

They must be saving their money for the re-do of ST V!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
"Why is this thread being bumped?" I'm sure alot are wondering? Well I just got the DC of Star Trek II and then I had to pick this one up. I have only watched (most of) the extras and I just wanted to ask what the hell is up with Shatner? In his interviews he seems like... such an ass for lack of a better term. This is the man who has played our beloved Captain Kirk? I wish he was more like Kirk in real life... damn!
Sorry just venting a little... he just really rubbed me the wrong way in the stuff he said... he also doesn't look very well. But speaking of looking well, I agree Robin Curtis did age nicely. :)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Adam,
Could be that he feels like, hey, I've lived my life, done what I've wanted to do, Kirk is only a character in a show/movie, so GET A LIFE,PEOPLE!;) :D Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Slightly off-topic, but isn't Galaxy Quest great for a hilarious take on Star Trek?:D
OK, back on-topic now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks