What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

NO I did not. I get tired of repeating myself for you so it will be for the last time. I NOTED that it was a RUMOR. I DID NOT say those scenes were for sure in there! You act like you were part of the production and know for sure they do NOT exist. YOU are the one that is making a definitive statement, not me. Go back and actually read what I said and you will see that.

I hope you understand finally.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Re: The Millenium Falcon

I really doubt you'd find it in the scene... there are hundreds of ships. It was Michael Okuda's text commentary that said the ship is there, but like so many of the little in-jokes designed into the Star Trek films, it's probably too small to be resolved on DVD, or is otherwise partially obscured.

-Scott

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Spinners from Blade Runner have been used in films like Back To The Future II & Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones but you would be hard pressed to spot them easily, so the Falcon may indeed be in there but just like the Shoe used in Jedi it was never meant to be clearly seen.

(Hmm...the Falcon was in Blade Runner as well now that I think about it.) :)

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Since I paid $0.33 for the original release (it was that 3/$1.00 800.com deal, remember that?) I don't feel bad double dipping. It was also the first DVD that made my jaw drop PQ wise... it's amazing how much better transfers are these days (I think the difference in the screencaps is night and day, EE and contrast issues galore in the original). Thanks for the review and caps!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
While not HD video or high resolution sound, the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track for Top Gun was pretty darn good, especially for a dated film soundtrack.

I'm wondering if Paramount didn't get Mi Casa to do Top Gun and First Contact remixes as they seem to be the ones who do a lot of these 6.1 discrete remixes.

If I can find a cheap copy I might have to pick up First Contact... the only non-classic cast Trek film I've liked at all (although I could have done without the Borg queen being a super-villain vamp... kind of took the bite right out of the Borg's sinister, one mindless, driving thought characteristic).

Ugh, purchasing a new region free DVD player and some discs and now this! And here I thought I was giving up on DVD's until HD came out!!

Dan

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If I can find a cheap copy I might have to pick up First Contact... the only non-classic cast Trek film I've liked at all (although I could have done without the Borg queen being a super-villain vamp... kind of took the bite right out of the Borg's sinister, one mindless, driving thought characteristic).

On a surface level, I can see this as just another tip of the hat to Cameron's Aliens. The "Bitch" at the heart of the hive. I can't wait to get this disc, just to see how often Cameron's name comes up. But on a deeper level, what is going on makes perfect sense. People are ultimately SEDUCED into becming part of the collective hence Picard's tortured memories. He gave in. He was rescued but he carries the memory of giving in to this abomination with him. That explains his rage towards the Borg. A great deal of it is borne out of fear, fear that he might give in again. Rather than allow himself to fail, he will kill that which might tempt him again. Like an alcoholic who blames the liquor store and rages against it and wants to burn it down, the true pain is in his own heart. That's what gives Frist Contact bite. The Borg Queen is a perfect visual metaphor for this seductive process, and though on a surface level, sure, she's the hive queen like the queen bug in Aliens, she is far more interesting a character.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What would have been cool (although the timing doesn't work right for when the screenplay was written) is that the Borg queen would have been Seven of Nine's mother who had been assimilated and took over from the older queen.

If you remember from Voyager that Anaka's parents were abducted by the Borg when she was little on an exploration of the Delta Quadrant.

That would have been a neat turn of events, if Voyager had been on the air at the right time, or if they had had Alison Krieg as her mother on the Voyager TV show (as a tie in to the movie) as well as the Borg Queen (which she did reprise towards the end of Voyager's run).

But we are talking about Braga and Berman (oops!) here so I wouldn't expect them to be able to come up with a cool idea such as this. :D

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
However, I think putting a face to the Borg kind of killed the mindless destructive force shown throughout (what is their purpose: to assimilate, why?: that's left up to your imagination)... far more chilling in my mind than a "mustach twirling" villainess. A writing cop out.

Cameron's Queen was cooler because it was an animal with some intelligence, but mainly something that wanted to protect its brude, and was pissed off.

Dan

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I know nothing concerning deleted scenes. Although, I have heard that producer Rick Berman hates gag reels so any outtakes were destroyed via his request.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kain

Here's what you said:

Please show where I made a definitive statement. I most certainly have not.

I understand things perfectly, do you?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Fine by me, Michael.:emoji_thumbsup:

I saw this film opening night at the Loews Astor Plaza in NYC. The amount of Trekkies in full costume was amazing. Klingon's, Borg, Romulans, and a dead ringer for Scotty, big belly and all. The crowd was totally into it. Sadly, those days are probably gone for a long while. I have no doubt Trek will be back on the big screen, better than ever.

Great that this title only retails for $19.99. Should be able to snag it at BB for less than $12.99.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Re: The Millennium Flacon

I remember reading about this back when Episode 1 came out when the Star Wars Insider was talking to John Knoll about hidden ships in Episode 1 and he mentioned the Falcon being in First Contact. I found it years ago by zooming the dvd on my PC but it's so tiny that it's barely recognizable.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Me too, but it must have been an earlier show, because there weren't many costumes in evidence. Theater was packed, though.

M.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just looked at the site with the supposed shots of the falcon in blade runner.

i dont see it.

if those pics are supposed to be the falcone i think that guy better keep looking.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I envy people who cant see edge enhancement. Its like Sony Trinitron CRTs with the horizontal shadow mask lines that are painfully obvious to me, but some people just cant see.

I have a friend that does not know what edge enhancement is. I wish I was him, then I could save money by not having to buy re-releases and complaining about old transfers.

As for this movie, the based on the few screenshots Ive seen, the differences are blatantly obvious to me, so I will have no problems upgrading to the new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks