What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: First Contact - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Personally, I'd say that the first transfer has a lot more EE & excessive grain, plus the contrast seems to be pumped up. I'll take the new transfer any day.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The original looks overly enhanced with too much grain to me as well. A minor, and mean MINOR ammount of cropping is not enough to detract me from getting the CE. If the cropping were more severe, maybe I would be upset, but we are talking MINOR here. I think everything else with this set (less EE, sharper picture, DTS, commentaries, extras) should more than compensate for less than 3% cropping on the left side of the screen.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The original looks like it's been oversharpened. Collector's Edition all the way.

Thanks for the review.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
All looks the same to me, depending on the equipment you have and your settings, the two versions might look better either way. I can't believe some people are on the fence about buying it now because of a few screenshots. As a part-time trekkie and big fan of this film I would have happily bought the extras disc for the same cheap price.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have put off buying this for the last couple years. Once they started with the double disc sets of the original trek movies, I knew this was coming one day. It has been a long wait, and by god I cannot wait for it.

This will be a day long remembered.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I was tempted to upgrade on this but I think the old disc can hold me until an HD version shows up. Thanks to all for the comparison screencaps.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

That doesn't mean anything. There are always different versions of scripts. Only the filmmakers know for sure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Do you have a copy of the script that you are referring to, or are you just repeating a rumor??

And I have more than one version of the First Contact script, given to me by Jonathan Frakes btw, and these scenes are in none of them, so I am confident that these scenes you are referring to do not exist, nor were they filmed.

Can you prove otherwise?

GregK

Screenwriter

Tino - Are there any scenes in the workprint that were cut from the final version? And if so, could you elaborate?

Thanks!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And just so people don't think I am BS'ing, my brother and I did some research for Jonathan Frakes during his last year on Star Trek The Next Generation. He thanked my brother and I by inviting us to the set.

He gave us a personal one hour tour of all the NG sets. He was extremely likeable, down to earth and a helluva nice guy. We were also invited to visit the Voyager set a few years later on an episode that he was directing, again giving us a private tour.

He invited us out once again to visit the First Contact set, but I was unable to go but my brother did and he had a great time.

He personally has sent my brother and I copies of many variations of all the Trek scripts since Generations.:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not saying 100% that this rumor is absolutely false, but you can see why I seriously doubt its validity.

Can you tell I am a huge Trek fan?;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I haven't watched that workprint since the premiere, but as I recall, I don't think there were any extra scenes, and certainly none of the ones being discussed. I will did up that tape, watch it and report back here.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I am just saying that unless you PERSONALLY WORKED ON THE FILM, there is no way to know whether or not there are deleted scenes! You shouldn't go by some script! I even noted in my post that it was a rumor! Someone on this forum said that Frakes wanted a DVD with the deleted scenes on it.

I was always under the impression that EVERY film has deleted scenes because no film can be made PERFECT and fine cuts can be made for pacing improvements AFTER filming.

And Tino, unless you can prove that there are in fact NO deleted scenes, don't ask the same of me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kain

YOU are the one saying there are these scenes, so the burden of proof is upon you.

Sorry, I just don't buy into rumors without hard facts.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Btw, we are NOt talking simply about deleted scenes, we are talking about specific scenes referring to the Hawk character as being gay, and those scenes being filmed and deleted.

GregK

Screenwriter

Excellent! Thanks Tino. I'm sure there are many on this forum who are also quite interested in hearing your report.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I thought we were talking about the scene in which Hawk picks the leaf off the tree - I KNOW they shot that one! :laugh:

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Great review--and I learned something..The Millennium Falcon is in the opening battle?

Sam--can you get a screencap of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks