What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sports Night: The Complete Series" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Can someone who did please indicate (without giving away the details of what happened) if they managed to wrap things up, story-wise? Or, did the show just end without forewarning, not giving the writers the chance to wrap things up?
I'd say that the final show wrapped up the storyline pretty good.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Certainly looking forward to this release. Only seen a few episodes, but I liked what I saw. Comedy Central doesn't seem to be airing them anymore (or if they do, not with any frequency).

No extras kind of sucks, but it's not as big of a disappointment, since it's a pleasant surprise for the show to get DVD release.

I really hope this (and the other 2 11/5 BV sets) sell well, and we see Home Improvement next year.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Comedy Central still airs sports night but the airtimes are terrible.

weekdays at 3:30am and sunday mornings from 7am till 8am.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Comedy Central still airs sports night but the airtimes are terrible.
One word: Tivo. ;)
At least that's how I managed to catch up on all 45 episodes, in order, over the span of a few months. Unfortunately, I was one of the reasons the show was cancelled: never watched it while it was on, didn't realize how great it was until I started catching the reruns on Comedy Central.
One of the very best sitcoms ever.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
NFM's MegaMart here in Nebraska had the set for $39.98 (MegaMart regularly has new releases of movies for $15 or less)...they also had the set of the first season of the excellent show "Once and Again" for that price. That price was good for the two complete seasons of a "Sports Night".

"Sports Night" had a tough time finding an audience on third place ABC. When it aired, I too thought it was going to be a slapstick SportsCenter spoof.

I was surprised at how clever the show was. I was impressed when they used the shows poor ratings as a significant plot point in season two. In those episodes, William H. Macy guest stars as a ratings consultant.

I don't have HBO, but when I heard this show might be picked up after its ABC run I would have subscribed.

Unfortunately, it was not.

It reminds me of the clever comedy on NBC called "Scrubs" -- the two are completely different, but refreshingly well-acted and well-written. People either get the show or they don't -- in both cases.

I am happy to see the trend of less successful series on DVD. It rewards the loyal following who may in the future have no other way to see these great shows.

Sure, I like "Friends" and own the DVDs, but I will likely be able to watch that show in syndication forever.

Shows that I hope to see in the future on DVD: Monk, The Dead Zone, The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, and thirtysomething,

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'd say that the final show wrapped up the storyline pretty good.
There were some indicators of where things would go in a third season that weren't resolved, but the MAJOR story arc over the second half of season two was indeed resolved.

By the way, I've been skipping through episodes on these discs for the last seven hours. I'm positively giddy to see this show on DVD. I think it's one of the best things I've ever watched on TV.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
my set will be arriving tomorrow i cannot wait!! I think the airings on comedy central were edited abit but that is common for a cable network.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up this set today at Best Buy, matching Target's $39.95 price. I'd never seen an episode, but I'm halfway through the 2nd disc and already have gotten my money's worth.

How can television this good only last two years???

Extras would be nice, but this is still a great set.

Troy Sutton

Auditioning
I think the airings on comedy central were edited abit but that is common for a cable network.
Yes! This happened to SN, and in at least one case, the edit removed the one of the best lines of the episode. (Imagine the third episode with the last 10 seconds removed...)
So glad to see this series (my favorite TV Comedy) finally on DVD. I can retire my VHS Comedy Central copies now. ;)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
My set finally arrived today. :) Just watched the first 2 episodes. It's nice to finally be able to watch these episodes uncut, commercial-free, and without any ABC/Comedy Central "bugs" in the corner of the screen.
Can't wait to watch the remaining 43 episodes the same way. :)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Laugh track or no laugh track? I'm sure the episodes I watched didn't have a laugh track... I can't imagine the show with one to be honest!

~ John

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Season 1 episodes had a laugh track (on the DVD, not removable). Season 2 episodes didn't have the laugh track.

I agree that this is 1 show that definitely does not need a laugh track, but I can live with it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I agree i could do without the laugh track on season 1. But compared to other sit-coms it is very subtle and half the time you barely hear the laughs.

John CW

Supporting Actor
I hope you're right, I like the sound of this DVD set.

Thanks for the info!

~ John

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
WOOHOO!!! my copy is here!!! now excuse me as i sit down, pop in a dvd, and relax for a few hours...:)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
just watched "pilot" and "the apology"...took me a bit to get used to the laugh track, as i watched very little of the first season beforehand. it still makes me cringe sometimes, thank goodness they got rid of it in the second season. man, it's great to watch sports night again...and sabrina lloyd! :D

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
So far I'm almost finished with disc four (season two) and I noticed that Dan's (Josh Charles) new love interest Abbey (Jayne Brook) was also in Don't Tell Mom's The Babysitter's Dead in which her and Josh played brother and sister. Ewwww....

I got my Sports Night set today. I opened it to find all 3 volumes are Volume 2!!!!:frowning:
I was wondering if anyone else wound up with this assortment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks