What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sleeping Beauty SE (Disney) --VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Just to be clear, my post wasn't meant to have anything to do with Simon's posts, just the framing of the DVD vs. laserdisc. I don't have sufficient access to or knowledge of SB film frames and animation cells to comment with any certainty beyond that.

Based solely on the known 2.2:1 or so aspect ratio of 70mm prints derived from Technirama elements, it seems pretty clear that both transfers are cropped, and they are cropped slightly differently.

Regards,

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm not sure, but someone might want to check out the Walt Disney's Nine old Men book to see if there are any frames of sleeping beauty in the book. I know they have 35mm strips running throughout the book, but I can't remember how Sleeping Beauty was shown.

Adam

richardWI

Second Unit
As a quick reference of how much of the image may be missing at the bottom of the frame please refer to the MPAA logo in the main titles.

RAH
That's real interesting, considering I referred to the same thing on the "restored" Touch of Evil DVD.

(I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just hoping that people will notice this important point being made by RAH.)

Touch of Evil Laserdisc

Touch of Evil DVD:

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Simon, if it's possible, be sure to note on your scans the size of the 35mm clips. If they're positive clips from reduction 35 (four perforations tall for vertical passage through a projector), corrected for Technirama's anamorphosis, they'll represent the correct reduction print sent to theatres, where some further, minor masking might take place to hide scan lines, etc.. If it's a positive print of the original eight perforation 35mm Technirama negative or other original eight perf element (measured horizontally in this case, not vertically, as the 35mm negative image passes horizontally through the camera when recorded), then it'll better indicate what 70mm audiences would have seen in theatres.

It may not be possible to determine this from your cells, Simon, I dunno. But figuring out just what we're missing, if it's anything appreciable, from a reduction print and just what we're missing from an original 70mm presentation of the film should both be of value for collectors. :emoji_thumbsup:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Discussions like this remind me of just how great a resource HTF can be for film enthusiasts everywhere. Contributions from experts and novices alike.

This is why I'm proud to be part of this great HTF community! (obligatory tear comes to eye and I can hear Copland music playing in the background...)

:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
blind buy for me (tho DaViDs rave helped) and after watching the Grand Canyon short and '4 Artists Paint A Tree', i can say is the money was well worth it.
i originally became interested in this title because of the association with Eyvind Earle, and it was great to see how much of the supplmental material references him.
am waiting to get my projector in before i actually watch the film, but so far it looks like a real winner!

TedD

Supporting Actor
The Universal globe doesn't look round on EITHER image. When one gets a screen cap in from a DVD, one must be very very careful, because DVD pixels are not square, like computer pixels are.

If the proper correction is not applied, results will be indeterminate!

Ted

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
For me, I am just thrilled to see SB in widescreen. After watching the P&S tape for years, this new DVD is a revelation. So much of the beautiful artwork can now be seen. I also love the widescreen to p&s comparison. Now if only I had a tv that can do the dvd justice!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The scene in question appears on the PAL UK R2 dvd at 1 hour 6min 42 seconds, and there is no zoom, pan or movement of any kind in that exact shot, except for the smoke & flames.
No, there is most definitely a zoom. Just watched this myself. On the R1 DVD at 109:06, Maleficent "lands" in front of Prince Phillip at the end of the thorn forest and it zooms in.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Yes there is movement you're right, but the 'actual' shot the cell is from, there is no movement when the wicked Queen is fully transformed.
This is the frame/cell background I have used as an example of cropping.

The 35mm non amamorphic film clips I ordered have arrived & as I thought they are from the trailer which crops the full horizontal 2:20:1 or 2:35:1 width down to about 1:85:1, what is deeply dissapointing is they show a fair bit of vertical picture information that's cropped off on the NTSC laserdisc & the dvd transfer.

Once I have the best ones scanned I'll put them up on my page for all to compare.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
I've got mine on the way and can't freakin' wait. I'm also glad Disney decided to step up their Platinum release schedule.

BTW - used DVD's for sale by clicking on the link below.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I don't have this title yet and have read all the posts but I can't find how the movie is on the disc 3 times. Wide, p&s, & ?

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched this yesterday and I was blown away by the gorgeous backgrounds and unique artistic style. This is a truly beautiful film with an outstanding restoration (aside from the framing issues).

DavidSchPT

Auditioning
I'm curious about this...

On Sleeping Beauty, both the fullscreen and OAR versions are on the same side of the same disk. Yet, the Spanish and French soundtracks are exclusive to the fullscreen version --- and the commentary track is exclusive to the OAR version.

Why couldn't all the audio tracks be available to both of the aspect ratios? Was this a decision made by Disney folks, or is there some technical reason why a given soundtrack couldn't be assigned to either or both of the visual files?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
David, it's caused by what layers the soundtracks are on. The WS version is on one layer, along with an English track and the commentary, and the full-screen is on another layer, with the Spanish and French tracks (and presumably an additional English track).

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They could have put all audio tracks on all versions, but that would have taken up more disc space and hurt the video quality.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Haven't checked myself (can't play a P/S image on my 16x9 TV :D ) but I'm wondering if the P/S image shows more or less vertical information than the WS image???

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks