What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

I watched this movie last night and I thought it was a huge disappointment. The visuals for the most part bugged me. Mainly the soft-glowing lighting. I know they used soft-glowing lighting in the 30's and 40's films (B&W) to show contrast but they stopped using this method when films started to be made in colour. It was ok for a little while but it just got annoying. It was also hard to tell what was happening in the dark scenes like the professors office.

I also thought the story was pretty weak. It seems like Conran tried to cram an every serial story line he could think of. First you got the robots (from some other world?) showing up and laying waste to NYC, than we go the mad scientest routine (Why is it always the most brilliant scientest that always go mad?), and then we get the Lost World mythos thrown in for good measure. I am sure that there are some people who love these kind of serial movies but I am not one of them.

My next problem was with the acting. I know it is hard to act in front of a blue screen with just a tennis ball on a rod for motivation but good god would someone please stop giving Angelia roles. Where the hell is that acent from? Sorry I just can't stand her.

I also hear people saying that this movie is the first of its kind and a breakthrough. I have seen to other movies that mainly just use blue screen and I enjoyed them much more. One is a French film called "Immortal (Ad Vitam)". While the story is a little lacking most of the CG is very good. Another film is a Japanese one, "Casshern". IMO this movie is better than both Immortal and Sky Captain for its story and wonderful CG.

richardWI

Second Unit
I rented it, and I'm glad I didn't blind buy it. I think everyone should see it at least once.

Random thoughts:

The fast paced editing seems at odds with the asethic decsion of making an "old timey" movie. I don't see the logic in creating these beautiful, painstakingly wrought vistas that will only be shown for half a second. I wish we had been given the time to let our eyes "drink in" these wonderful worlds. (I had the same problem with The Phantom Menace, but that's another can of worms.)

The interview material was fascinating to me because it revealed the creators to be mainly "low energy" geeks: people not that visibly excited -perhaps burned out- by the project. I expected Tarrantino levels of geek enthusiasm, but these are guys that spend years basically sitting in front of computers, pushing pixels around. Conran lacks the strength of personality (for lack of a better word: confidence) needed to helm projects with this level of ambition. I hope a real director mentors him soon, because he seems like a promising guy.

I was extremely impressed with the professionalism of Angelina Jolie. She just really seemed game for the project and performed with enthusiasm while others seemed extremely self-conscious. Those are tough conditions to perform under, and she shines in her small part. Ribisi was quite good as well.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I really think some of you would appreciate "Sky Captain" more if you've seen a few classic serials. Just in my own opinion, I don't think I would have liked it if I didn't enjoy stuff like The Adventures of Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, and Flash Gordon.

Dare I say it, I think you could enjoy any of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films more with that additional viewing (although, that doesn't seem to be a problem).

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Correct, Patrick. Also, The R2 single-disc version is barebones. No extras at all.

Personally, I think the R1 video transfer is reference, for this film.. A sterling audio mix, and a generous selection of extras, of which R2 gets no more than you do.

Crikey.. I'm growing tired of the griping about what you're getting. It's not as though Paramount have pulled a Fox, and given you a single-disc with slight extras, and getting ready to double-dip you in six months. You're getting a splendid film, with well-made extras with substance.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Y'know... I must take a different approach than many when it comes to evaluating DVD extras.

I evaluate what is there... not what isn't.

If you evaluate based on all the "could have, should have" you'll never be happy. Ever.

I have no complaints... two commentaries, a couple of featurettes, deleted scenes, gag reel... and Paramount sucks for including them? I'd much rather have a few quality extras than a whole extra disc of fluff, which tends to "fluff" the price, as well. And when it comes to the transfer... sort of the most important thing... the disc is near reference.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I wish I could find a different cover for the dvd. I would love to find a different cover for it that uses the artwork of Jude Law in the plane (with the goggles) or something else...I always thought the movie posters they came out with in theaters never lived up to the great art direction the movie had....

CharlesD

Screenwriter

The lady from The Weakest Link I think :)

I think this is a love it or hate it movie. Personally I enjoyed it a great deal. Sure the story is far fetched and over the top, but then so were the story lines of the old serials. Its not that far beyond the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies which also owe some of their inspiration to the same genre.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
As one who grew up watching serials I can tell you, that this movie fell way short of even coming close to the fun that those real serials were.

One thing that really bugged me was the way Giovanni Ribisi's character just miraculously reappeared without even an explanation of how or why he was in that position in the first place.:thumbsdown:

HarryB

Auditioning
I liked this movie. I will readily admit that the story is somewhat disjointed but while it is not something to aspire to, it is somewhat more forgiveable in a movie like this than in something that was meant to be a serious thought-provoking drama. Visually I thought it was stunning but then I have always been a big fan of the "Brothers'" Superman cartoons from the '30's. I went into this movie expecting "Brain Candy" and to be entertained and that is what I got. The only thing that really detracted from my enjoyment of the movie was Ms. Paltrow. It's nothing personal. She may be a very nice person, I have just never cared for her screen presence. In my opinion they handed much too much of this movie to her character. Now I knew ahead of time this was going to happen or else I suspect she would not have done the movie but it was still dissapointing. THe feeling I had after watching the movie was that it really should have been called "The Adventures of Intrepid Reporter Polly Perkins and Her Largely Ineffectual Boyfriend Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow". I guess that doesn't fit on a poster so well.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I'm going back and forth on getting this "blind". Right now leaning towards yes again, with PQ putting it over the top.

Count me among those who absolutely loved this film -- both in the theater and on this beautiful DVD. I wouldn't recommend it as a blind purchase -- opinions obviously run both ways on "Sky Captain's" merits -- but it was my favorite film of 2004. I loved its art-deco vision of a futuristic 1939, the numerous film-geek references, and the serial-inspired storyline. It also has my favorite final line of dialogue of the year -- all two words of it.

:emoji_thumbsup:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I think she came off the best, among the actors in the film.

I think how much you get out of it is how much you expect from the film. If you take the approach that this is the guy's first film, and the plot isn't particularly strong, you can get some real enjoyment out of the film. If you buy into the hype that this is a "groundbreaking" film, and it will rock your world, you will probably be disappointed.

Considering this is Conran's first film, I actually think he did a really good job considering. Sure, not everything worked, actingwise, but he certainly seemed to have a knack with visuals, and he does hold some promise. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with "A Princess Of Mars".

Jason

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
Just grimmaced my way through it. Was Paltrow even trying to act? She looked like a high school acting class flunkie, absolutely no emotion to match the situation. Gun pointing in her face? Vacant stare. Looping in a plane? Vacant stare. Giant robot kicks a car at her? Vacant stare. Just awful work on her part.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just popped in to see the reactions of those who'd skipped Sky Captain during its theatrical run.

Pleased to say I'm most definitely on the THUMBS UP! side of the fence on this movie. After seeing it three times now (once theatrically, once on a plane(!) and once just now on DVD), the thing just keeps growing on me.

Yep, there are plot holes and logic lapses. Yeah, sometimes the actors seem more than a little bit lost or overwhelmed by the technology. No, it's in no way a flawless film.

But I think it's just wonderful. One thing I did NOT expect from a flick this beholden to high-tech gimiickry was such a clear and omnipresent LOVE for the old-time movie magic. It was a ballsy experiment, and one that Paramount probably won't be trying again soon. (Movie cost about $110m including P & A. It made about $38m domestic and less than $18m overseas.) But I'm sincerely thrilled by this movie, consistently and quite pleasantly.

I suspect it will slowly grow its own passionate fanbase, not at all unlike equally-deserving sci-fi greats like Dark City and The Iron Giant.

If this movie's not your cup of ginseng, I can certainly understand that. I've read many, many well-argued and (IMO) legitimate complaints about the flick. Me, I'll watch it at least two more times in the next week.

(For more aimless blathering about Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to my original theatrical review of the film.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks