What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Singin' In The Rain" Special Edition (with screenshots) (2 Viewers)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
A new release? That figures. I just bought the original release about three weeks ago. For those of you waiting for MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, I am considering buying an unopened LD version. That should initiate the DVD release.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
One of the best things about these reviews are the utterly fantastic screen caps! Dvd MAY write better, but there screen caps (or hidious lack thereof) are always tiny and often cropped to 4:3 or 16:9. all those grogeous caps in Ron's review make me want Singin in the Rain more than anything in Dvdfiles review. Not to be mean to dvdfile, they do the best and most consistent job of reporting news and reviewing tons of product (more than any other site). But I always prefer Ron's reviews for the screencaps (and IGN DVD for the captions :D)
Man if Only, if only I had the money to get all of these, but I'll have to wait two or three months and get all five as enrollments from columbia house (and probably grab Doctor Zhivago at the same time to make number 6), sigh...
but at least that way I'm only spending 30 bucks on five amazing dvds rather than something closer to 100.
It is going to be agony waiting though, Singin in the rain is my second favorite musical ever, right behind Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (please please please we NEED a special edition of that movie!). Everything about it so wonderful!
Adam

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I think the framing issue is really a non-one. First of all, the film )as well as others of the era) when shown in theatres was never exactly framed. Some spillover was always present and still is in almost all modern film presentations as well. Sometimes DVD's contain more info, sometimes they don't. Since the film was shot at 1.37:1 and standard tv is 1.33:1 there is a slight loss of info , perhaps 1/2 of 1%? Also, many tv's share a common condition called overscan. I'm not going to stay up sleepless over this and nobody else should as well in my opinion. Robert Harris goes over this situation in one of his recent columns. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Peter, you're probably right, but we aren't talking about the difference between 1.37:1 and 1.33:1 here, we're talking about the difference between the framing on the previous DVD and this one. It always makes me a little apprehensive when I see lost picture informaiton.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Rain, Let's just wait and see I guess. You know it's possible that the earlier DVD had picture info that wasn't supposed to be seen! In any event I'm really looking forward to this. By the way, in an article about the film that Roger Ebert wrote for its' 40th Annivesary, he starts off by saying who can forget Gene Kelly, in "his yellow slicker" dancing and singing in the rain. Say what? Never happened (except for the opening credits and he's with Donald and Debbie). :b

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Let's just wait and see I guess.
Well, I'm still getting it.

I just thought Ron might be able to comment if he has the old disc for comparision.

It could very well be that just the screenshots themselves are slightly cropped (which is sort of what I was hoping).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Rain, I think the comparisons on that page are cropped slightly. On of Ron's screenshots are also on the comparison page, but with different framing. Ron's image has more open framing.

This DVD looks beautiful. I'm going to have to admit it, but I have never seen Singin' In The Rain before. I'm going to have to buy it now...plus, I can't resist properly transferred Technicolor!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ron, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard after reading your review, thanks.;)
My favorite musical by miles, its a must have, a must buy, a must whatever, it's mine, mine, MINE! [cue manic laughter]
Lina Lamont: People? I ain't "people." I am a.. "a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament."
Lina Lamont: You couldn't kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy weensy bit!
Don Lockwood: Meet the greatest actor in the world! I'd rather kiss a tarantula.
Lina Lamont: Oh Donny you don't mean that.
Don Lockwood: I don't... Hey Joe, get me a tarantula!

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Folks,

Just a word on the restoration of "Singin'."

I attended the September 5, 2002 restored digital presentation at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at which the welcoming remarks from Academy President Frank Pierson included the statement that what we were about to see was NOT film but newly installed, state-of-the-art digital projection (DLP?). The academy audience broke out in aplause at Pierson's remarks.

Prior to the screening, program host Michael Feinstein said that, during a trial run that afternoon, the image was so clear that you could see the crows feet around Gene Kelly's eyes! He was absolutely correct!

Re the sound: "...the 5.1 was created at Chace Prod. by combining the original mono composite soundtrack and adding stereo separations derived from two single channel music "angles." The angles were protection tracks, optically recorded to allow for later versatility in mixing. The original mono track remains intact in the center channel of the 5.1 mix, with stereo sweeteners, derived from coincident material added to side and rear audio channels."

To make a long story short, the sound in the Samuel Goldwyn Theater (along with its projection) is one of the best in the world. AS presented, it appeared that the center channel was overpowering the left and right stems. And, there appeared to be little if any surround elements from my siting position.

Tim RH

Second Unit
I'm going to have to admit it, but I have never seen Singin' In The Rain before.
Patrick, I'm shocked! :eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Patrick's only 18 years old, so its forgiveable!
Strange I always thought Patrick was much older than that, his posts and love for olde animatione belie his age, and thats not to slight all the teens on the forum.
I think it'll be safe to say that I'll be the only one in Fannin County with a passion for silent cinema. I'm probably also the only one in the area with Singin' In The Rain. :D Most people at my high school think a great movie is xXx. I like to expand my movie viewing beyond popcorn flicks. (Please...any Fannin-ites speak out if you can!)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Can you only live with one kidney? I'm thinking about selling mine so I can afford all these wonderful DVD's coming out in the next 2+ months.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If you look closely at those screenshots from DVDAuthority, they are from slightly different frames...look at Debbie Reynold's hand in the "Good Mornin'" sequence...and the umbrella in the title song sequence...close, but not the exact same moment, so hopefully the framing is correct.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Those screenshots have GOT to be the best ever placed in a review thread @ HTF!! Absolutely incredibly clear, vibrant, and colorful! Beautiful!! Now, like the rest of you, I must have it! :)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I hope that Warner will continue to put out the MGM musical library with such care.
And in Lina Lamont's words, I hope the dvd makes "more money than Calvin Coolidge...PUT TOGETHER!"

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Wow.

What a beautiful looking disc. Every bit as impressive as North By Northwest.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks