What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sin City - RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Wheres the love Alexis Bledel? She was great in the movie! I'd rather a box cover with her on it, they could of used her instead of Brittany Murphey, who always comes off as drug addled to me, and couldn't pull of the dialog that is admittedly hard to sell as an actor. ("you fool, you damn fool!", her reading makes me cringe and laugh everytime I see it!)

I can't wait till I get my hands on it! I'm waiting a few weeks to get it cheap previously viewed through my video pimp connection, seeing as it's a guaranteed double dip with the SE coming out.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

right here !

oh and where is the love for the dts track ? i have a twin sub system and the dolby is harsh on my subs.
the dts is more refined imho

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I know this is the dvd review thread but all the women in Sin City are NICE. :b Not sure I want to have any intanglements with Me-Hoe or whatever her name is. She might slice something valuable off. :crazy:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Here too! Much more to my taste than the "main" women, and really, it *was* about the women, wasn't it? Had to make do with the Jessica Alba cover.

What a gory movie :D !

Used the dts track. Considering it was mainly dialogue, hard to go wrong. Very clear, no noise or "static" here. The minimal effects were short and undistracting, as are appropriate for a "comic" (i.e. make the point, but are not the whole show).

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I thought they were adapting "To Hell and Back" with Johnny Depp as Wallace. I don't see how they can do it without serious abridging. You have everything from other comic book heroes to ED-209 (from Robocop) in that one.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I'll admit, there are some pretty women in this film, but... Devon Aoki? She looks like Little Face from Dick Tracy! *shudder*

-Lyle J.P.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
No she didn't Lyle.

The female at the beginning is called "the customer" and is played by Mary Shelton. Alex Biedel played Becky, the traiterous prostitute. Harnett's character, who kills 'the customer', ALSO kills Becky.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, she's asian, Lyle, and has a classic asian look that I just find very appealing, she's sexy as hell IMO. As for Alexis Bledel, she's okay I guess, she looks a lot like Robin Tunney.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Ah, sorry. I figured it was a typical "show the end at the beginning" Tarantino type thing, particularly when we see the assasin meeting Alexis Bledel (who you know is marked for death) in the elevator at the end.
My mind just told me she must be the girl from the beginning. Alas, I only saw it once.

-Lyle J.P.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor

Thank you!

I just sat down to watch my copy and once I hit this particular moment, I immediately checked out the forums to see if anyone else noticed it.

Stephen (et al), you're not alone.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I know she doesn't do it for me. :D There are many Asians much more attractive than her (IMO). In all honestly, I think she looks like an extraterrestrial. Or a celestial goldfish.

Of all the women, I like Alba the most, but it's a shame she's not a good actress. Gugino is nice too. :)

BTW, what's with the flaming icon on next to this thread's title?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I post this not to say that we shouldn't have a critical eye towards DVD, but that too often we throw around terms that simply aren't relevant. I can think of no good reason why a video engineer would have applied Edge Enhancement to Sin City. 9 of the last 10 times I've heard of EE being complained about on this forum have simply been examples of ringing, which sometimes cannot be entirely avoided in high-contrast video images when using MPEG compression.

-Lyle J.P.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Lyle, you are correct. But I believe there ARE some transfers without ringing. SW ep.2 is also a digital to digital transfer and it doesn't appear to have any. Titanic which was even non-anamorphic doesn't have any.
I'm not saying the EE was applied consciously like some obvious examples such as "Gangs of NY" but I did notice SOMETHING here. In the credits it's VERY obvious.

but what do I know... :)

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Dave here. There is *SOME* EE in Sin City.

While it's not capriciously applied throughout the film, to turn a blind eye to it in favor of the otherwise-stunning visuals (and overall hype) of this preliminary dvd release is disappointing. Furthermore, to hear EE accredited to ringing, halos, bad calibration, or other nonsense is even more disheartening. With that said, this is otherwise a beautiful transfer. Before we launch into a massive debate, there are only a FEW instances of EE that I've noticed in the film.

Cheers to an even better SE later in the year...

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I watched it on my Panasonic Th50PhD7UY plasma last night (calibrated by Gregg Lowen) and this transfer is the best I think I've seen on a dvd. The dvd player is a pioneer elite 59AVI. It is so close to HD on my plasma I bet most people would think it WAS HD. I watch ALOT of HD on this set and thinking back this dvd holds up very nicely against HD movies I've seen. It's a definite reference dvd for me now when friends are over...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

We have the exact same set-up(50" 7UY and 59 AVi) and I agree that the Sin City DVD did look extremely "HD-like". You have good taste in equipment, my man. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks