What's new

HTF REVIEW: "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Mr Blake, my Criterion Robin Hood is a CAV edition. It has the following extras:
1. Behind the scenes home movies & (on audio track 2) Erich
Korngold at the piano.
2. The 1948 reissue trailer.
3. An excerpt from the 1922 Robin Hood with Douglas
Fairbanks.
4. An excerpt from the 1952 Ivanhoe.
5. Robin Hood thru the ages.
6. Film soundtrack on audio track 1.
7. Audio essay by Rudy Behlmer on audio track 2.
I've never seen the M-G-M issue that Mr Kittel refers to in the link in his post. The Criterion version I have is one of the most beautifully transferred films on LD that I own or have ever seen. I would recommend it if you have a chance to buy it somewhere.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The video presentation of this dvd exceeded my expectations and I've never seen this beautiful film look any better than when I saw it on my Pro-710 this past Friday.:emoji_thumbsup:
Crawdaddy

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I watched this DVD yesterday.

The tranfer is unbelievable. It looks like it was shot yesterday. It could not have been any better if Criterion had done it.

The film itself is also excellent, featuring beautiful photography by Winton Hoch and one of John Wayne's best performances.

I would highly recommend this DVD.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
can anybody give me a link to the Kinowelt release
The Kinowelt release for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon can be found here: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...325658-8586416
The Kinowelt release of Fort Apache can be found here: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...325658-8586416
Both have the original English soundtrack and subtitles can be switched off. I suspect that Kinowelt used the same source as Warner for She Wore A Yellow Ribbon because the quality is truly amazing.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Danny
Thanks for the link. I have one question though, you mentioned that this dvd has an interview with John Ford of over an hour. All it has is the trailer. I went to the www.Kinowelt.de website and I was not able to find it there either. Where did you buy yours ?

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Oscar,
I bought mine at www.amazon.de from the exact same link I posted here :). The site may not mention it (coverart there is wrong as well - it's for the VHS) but the DVD does have an interview of an hour with JF in English with subs that can be switched off. See also this link http://discshop.com/dvdwelt/product_...pf%5Fid=203669 which does mention the interview as an extra. I've never used this e-tailer though and don't take the badly compressed screencaps there as an indication of the picture quality of the dvd. See my profiler link for the actual coverart: http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=hitch_fan (under She Wore A Yellow Ribbon of course ;)).

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Jeff,
Yes, these are R2 PAL discs. Fort Apache has good quality picture and sound though the picture quality is not as stunning as SWAYR's. I would compare it qualitywise to Artisan's R1 of Rio Grande. No other extra's than the German trailer on Fort Apache :frowning:
Kinowelt's other releases of John Ford have some interesting extra's. SWAYR has the 1hr interview with John Ford. The Quiet Man has John Ford's 30 minute short "The Rookie Of The Year" (didn't buy this disc though as the picture quality is reportedly as bad as Artisan's R1) and Rio Grande has a 45 minute documentary about John Wayne with interviews with Howard Hawks and John Ford ao.
It's a pity John Ford's work is so undervalued on DVD and especially on R1. It amazes my that nearly every Hitchcock movie available on DVD is a special edition of sorts and John Ford who is one of (if not THE) the greatest American directors, only gets the "cheap" treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks