What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Scarface: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Aaron,

In regards to your post #129

Check out the beginning of chapter 28.... I have been trying to figure out what to call this effect for some time now...is it shimmering, compression artifacts, or what? I am viewing the film using a progressive scan dvd player (Sony DVP-NS715P) and it is hooked up to a 50 inch Widescreen LCD Rear-Projection HD set (PT50LC13. This effect is present throughout the film and I have always seen it on dvd's but on newer transfers to a much lesser extent. I'm just looking for what this effect is called here. It's sort of like the picture is shaking. Thanks!
My personal opinion is that you should get rid of that player ASAP! I had one hooked up to my Tosh 50H82 right before I settled on the Panasonic CP72, and I noticed the shimmering effect you mention on many discs. Without getting into too much detail, I would rate this player as terrible when compared with others within the same price range. In fact, even my wife was happy when I got rid of the Sony, and she could care less about picture quality (despite my preaching ;)) !!!

I should mention that I auditioned several Toshiba players (the 3800 and 4800) and I thought both of those were better than the Sony NS-715P as well. At one point, every component in my HT was made by Sony. Now none are...go figure!

To each their own though! All that matters is how happy you are with your system.

Regards,

Jason

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
For the longest time, I thought "She's On Fire" and "Push It To The Limit" were made up songs on GTAIII. How appropriate.
I bet GTA3 will be selling again because of the Scarface DVD. Either that or people might pull it back out and start playing it again just to hear that funky drug dealing music while playing the ultra-violent game. I know I might! :) I was thinking that it's just too bad that GTA3 doesn't take place in Miami like its sequel does. With the Scarface music and the Miami setting it would be for an almost complete Scarface interactive experience.

Btw I picked this up at Costco and as some of you might know when you get a DVD at Costco it comes in that additional long cardboard sleeve. I was thinking of keeping it actually but I ended up throwing it away. My mother hates this movie with a passion but she still ended up buying it for me because she was buying other items from Costco while I was visting her last week. Hey I offered to pay for it! :D

I think Scarface is a cultural phenomenon.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of GTA, I never realized, until seeing Scarface again, that the mansion of that Kingpin guy in GTA: VC looks very similar to Tony Montana's House on the inside with the 2 staircases that lead to the office door at the top in the center. It is obvious the Scarface was a big influence in the making of GTA: VC

Jack Walsh

Auditioning
I have to agree about the sound on this DVD. It sounds exactly like my widescreeen VHS.

But I'm a little confused. Was this movie ever in stereo surround to begin with? The end credits do not have the usual Dolby logo at all and say nothing about the sound system used. I had read somewhere that this was one of the last films with MagOptical prints made for it (Dawn of the Dead was mentioned as well). If it was, did those prints have surround channels? Maybe the sound was 2-channel all along and the "new" 5.1 remix reflects that. There is hardly any surround action at all.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the sound history of this movie?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching this the other night - after waiting forever to get it in. I am pleasantly surprised by the picture quality. Colors and sharpness were strong - some artifacts more noticable in some scenes, but I was very happy with it, overall. Most of it looked filmlike.

I do think the picture would have looked even better if the DTS track was NOT included. This was a pure waste of space especially considering this is nearly a three hour movie. The audio, overall, was lacking, but I didn't find it to be a huge issue considering the age of the film and that it never sounded good.

It's very nice to have one of my favorite movies to look respectable. The previous release should have never passed quality controls.

Curious of Universals lack of trailers?

While a nice set. It is rather irritating that studios seem to ignore trailers recently despite being included on the original Scarface release!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I agree with this! I'm usually a DTS proponent but there are some films where the soundtrack is just not worth having a DTS track. This one is one of them not just because of running time. Because the sound mix is so poor that it provides no benefit over DD. Very much like the BACK TO THE FUTURE films wouldn't have benifitted with a DTS track. The mix just isn't dynamic enough!

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
"did the two disc anniversary edition come with any sort of booklet or insert?
All mine had was that promo insert."

No promo or any kind of inserts in my dvd. Did anyone with the Canadian version get any inserts or booklets?:frowning:
If not, at least they could have chapter listings inserts. how much can that cost espec. considering all the french packaging? Another mistake for universal studios esp. for a SE dvd.:thumbsdown:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm in Canada, and my copy had no insert what-so-ever. With a movie of this length, it would've been nice to have a list of chapter stops. It looks as though they are becoming a thing of the past....unfortunately.

I'll be honest, this past Sunday was the FIRST TIME I had ever seen Scarface. What a great movie!! I couldn't take my eyes off it for a second. The acting was incredible, and talk about suspense! How I could have gone all these years without seeing this is beyond me. But I'm glad I now own it.

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the chainsaw scene, in the documentary I think that DePalma stated that they had fake limbs hanging from the shower curtain rod (still pictures were shown), but he didn't film them. The 'shock' he wanted to display would come from Pacino's face, the blood and the sound of the chainsaw.

Also, I was wondering who was dubbing the interrogator's voice; that's Charles Durning alright. By the way, which character's voice was dubbed by Dennis Franz?

DePalma - One the Masters of Widescreen composition. Can't wait for Mission: Impossible SE.

AndyC

Auditioning
I heard a rumor that the LFE info is missing on the SE dvd. Did any one notice this or verify this? I have to admit to not noticing it on my dvd mainly because I don't think the film relied on LFE all that much originally. Was there supposed to be low frequency sfx added?? :)

Any and all comments welcome! :)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
My box set is still on backorder from DDD. I wonder if they will ever be a 2nd run of the boxset. I went to check my order status and it lists the ship date as 11/18. Hope they are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks