What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Scarface: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Went to BB during lunch, clerks said all the gift sets were sold out within30 minutes:angry: . I knew I should of skipped today:frowning:

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine at Circuit City. They had a display rack with the upper half filled with fullscreen and the lower half filled with widescreen. They look exactly the same. I was really confused and almost missed the widescreen titles. There is no hint on the cover. You have to read the aspect ratios on the back.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has anybody checked out the picture quality on the '32 version?

I want that so bad that it hurts, but I refuse to buy a bloated gift set where the primary focus is a movie that I have no more than rental interest in. Anybody that bought the giftset want half their money back. I'll give $25 to anyone that wants to get rid of the '32 version.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
At the local Best Buy, the deluxe box set was sold out, too, with lots of people inquiring about it. Looks like it's not just classic film buffs looking for it.

I have to agree that Universal screwed up by not making the Widescreen/Fullscreen label more visible. :thumbsdown: I accidently picked up the Fullscreen version and had to go back and exchange it, and there were several other people who wanted to exchange it for the Widescreen version as well.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Picked up my reserved giftset at my local suncoast. There must have been over 30 reserved giftsets, i didnt see any in the store , that you could buy . Only if you reserved which i did.:) Plenty of 2 disc versions though.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Went to Circit City and they had nothing but FS.

Picked mine up at Best Buy. I got there at 11am and only 4 more Box Sets were left with 2 people on line holding the set.

I stopped by Media Play on the way back to pick up The Thing for my officemate on VHS (she doesnt have a DVD player)and they had about 20 box sets put aside - all reserved.

Picture looks great.Sound is pretty good (a bit thin at times).I gave my old version to my brother but told him he may as well use it as a shiny coaster and just buy the new release.

I had to turn off the Hip Hop documentary.It just made me sick to watch it.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure to check the spine to see which version you are purchasing!

I just got back from Wal-Mart because I had to return a FS version for WS. Wal-Mart had one giant display with nothing but FS versions, and I had to go to the electronics sections and go through the rest of the displays before finding any WS.

Don't make the same mistake that I did! And BTW this transfer is a huge improvement over the first (which isn't saying much).

Hogan Lew

Auditioning
Hi all,

Quick question... did the two disc anniversary edition come with any sort of booklet or insert? All I got with mine was a promo insert with a free DVD offer. Seems like there should have been something included that at least listed the chapter stops.

TIA.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I just got back from Wal-Mart because I had to return a FS version for WS
Lucky for me, the clerk did the picking.

I wasn't expecting a foolscreen version and thought they were all the same.

Spent a minute or two later trying to figure out how she knew the difference..

Hogan Lew

Auditioning
Thanks Frank.

I find it amazing that Universal would put so much effort into the DVD content and then cheap out by only including a promo insert. At least give us a single page insert with the chapter stops.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Went to Circit City and they had nothing but FS.
I managed to get a WS at C.C. but it was clear that they were really moving. The bottom (WS) half of the display was gone when I got there. And when I looked a bit closer, the guy at the door immediatly knew I was looking for WS and said "If there are any left, there in the back with the other DVDs. Luckily I found one as they were quickly becoming scarce

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
An easy way to check between WS and FS is to check the white security sticker along the top. (At least on Uni titles...)

So great to finally add this classic modern gangster flick into my collection. Flick kinda goes overboard here and there...but only in the most entertaining ways.

Britton

Screenwriter
Has anybody checked out the picture quality on the '32 version?

I want that so bad that it hurts, but I refuse to buy a bloated gift set where the primary focus is a movie that I have no more than rental interest in. Anybody that bought the giftset want half their money back. I'll give $25 to anyone that wants to get rid of the '32 version.
Eric, if you go to FYE they have the box set for $50 with a $20 mail in rebate. It's also available at Coconuts and Strawberries. I think the 1983 movie is worth $5.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up a copy today at Walmart, only 3 Widescreen versions left, they were sold out at BB and Circuit City. About 10 fullscreen versions were left in Walmart, and I was almost duped in getting one as I only figured it out by chance, going through the special features and noticed the little blurp at the bottom. Thank goodness.

Raymond

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Universal has screwed by not releasing both films in a three disc SE. I was looking at this movie at the local Future Shop. I have never seen either version and I thought briefly about picking up the gift set, but I don't care about money clips. All I wanted was both films in a reasonably priced edition, but Universal has decided to go with a "bloat box" edition. $65 bucks was too much to spend just to watch the original version.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
A funny thing happened to me at Best Buy yesterday. I was standing there looking at the Scarface display, and I saw a guy going up to the checkout counter with both the 2-disc set, and the box set. Curious, I moved a little closer to do drop some eaves (I know; I'm a complete geek), and I heard the customer and the clerk discussing widescreen/fullscreen:

The clerk was looking at the box set and saying, "Well it says here it has both widescreen and fullscreen. I guess you get both." I stepped in, and said, "Well the box has the '32 version in there with it, and that's what's on the "fullscreen" disc." They both looked at me with a "Well of course it is" kind of look. The customer said he was just trying to find out if the box had WS or FS or both on the '83 version (maybe he wanted both, and was buying the separate 2-disc to get it).

Anyway, as I was walking away, I saw the clerk looking at the box again, saying, "Yeah, it looks like you have WS and FS in this one."

:rolleyes:I dunno. The customer actually seemed like he knew what he was talking about, and was probably going to get the box set anyway, so I guess it didn't matter. Just trying to fight the ignorance, you know. :D

Doug Fisher

Auditioning
For the Canadian who wanted to know about packaging..
The bilingual paper slip comes off, and I was excited to see English only on the cardboard case underneath. However the keepcase under that is totally bilingual.. What a total waste of packaging costs just to let french speaking canadians know what they already know.. "hey thats scarface!"

the cardboard case is good enough for display in the dvd rack in english only.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
...mild edge enhancement is still visible on occasion. This is a very minor issue though, and the haloing never becomes too much of a distraction.
Am I the only one that feels that there is a LOT of distracting edge enhancement on this disc? I mean, some scenes look better than others, but as a whole, I'm somewhat disappointed by this transfer. I'm sure it's a ton better than the old disc (from what I've heard), but I think that it's still lacking.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in Canada, and my copy had a single semi-slip cover with just French as well.
HOWEVER, upon removing it, everything is in ENGLISH which was a welcome change from universal. The spine is only english (unless you choose to use the reverse side of the sleeve inside, which is for French) as are all the features listed on the back.
This is how bilingual packaging should be done (not that I like it at all). Kudos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks