What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Ronald Reagan: The Signature Collection (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

I thought this was an excellent film, too. To my mind Reagan was solid, and Ginger Rogers excelled in the lead role. Agree with you about the way the KKK was portrayed though.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I've never been a football fan, so this was my first time watching Knute Rockne all the way through. It was quite enjoyable thanks to Pat O'Brien and I can finally see why Reagan's small role made such a large impact. The Teddy Roosevelt short was one of the most enjoyable historical shorts I've ever seen; not to be missed.

Amidst all the heavy drama of the other films, I really enjoyed The Winning Team. Sure, it's Hollywood fluff, but I'm a baseball fan and Doris Day is in it. What more do you need? There are some emotional scenes here, but it was pretty uplifting and the old baseball clips are fun to watch.

All in all, Warners did a stellar job with picking out the films for this set and doing the restorations/transfers. Each of the films is very enjoyable in their own right and merits repeated viewing. If sales warrant a Vol 2, let's hope some of the classic service comedies/adventures (Voice of the Turtle, Brother Rat, Desperate Journey, etc.) will find their way in that set.

Steve

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I am really pleased with this set. I've always thought STORM WARNING was an amazing film that no one knew about. I was wrong, because people have been talking about it here on this forum for years :)

It looks sensational in this new set, and has occasionally been the case with WB, this is another rarity that never had a VHS release, but that has made it to DVD, and bravo to that. I recently read that Lauren Bacall was slated for the role eventually played by Ginger Rogers, but Bacall turned down the film. Ginger and Bacall are about as different as two actresses can be, but it seemed more logical for Ginger to be an older sister to Doris Day. Reagan's not the STAR of the movie, but he is very good in his role, and it shows that he really was quite good at his craft as a film actor at Warner.

People here have mentioned that KINGS ROW looks great (I concur) but have also expressed their concern over occasional moments of 'frame jitter'. To my eye, it seems this new transfer has come from the original negative, or a newly minted intermediate element made from it, and these occasional problems are likely inherent in the o-neg, with WB or the restorationists doing the best they could to limit what seems to be shrinkage and buckling in the camera negative. Compare the new DVD to the old laserdisc or VHS to see how improved the new DVD is.

I believe it is the best film in this collection. A true representation of Warner pictures of the '40s, and filled with great performances. Yes, it may be a bit of soap-opera at times, but that's what makes it all the more fascinating.

KNUTE ROCKNE is genial, and fornulaic, but Pat O'Brien does a great job in this picture, even if he was the second choice over the studios originally intended Cagney. As I have heard Notre Dame had such control over this film, that they nixed Cagney as Rockne because of Cagney's politics....

I agree with others here that both THE HASTY HEART and THE WINNING TEAM are thoroughly enjoyable, even if the latter might be considered a little bit of Hollywood fluff

There are a few nifty extras on thie DVDs in this box, but my favorite in-joke was the inclusion of the PORKY PIG cartoon on KNUTE ROCKNE, as a lot of folks don't likely know that Reagan started his 'career' as a radio sports announcer. Warner is cleatly on their game.

A great set for a great price. I highly recommend it.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

In terms of story material, I think Kings Row seems a little more like an MGM-type movie of the time, e.g. the vaguely similar Green Dolphin Street from '47, another grand sweeping period piece/melodrama. Although maybe that's not the only factor you were referring to, in terms of its being representative of Warners movies at the time.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That's very interesting; I've never heard that. Quite ironic considering Cagney's contribution to Americana via "YANKEE DOODLE DANDY" a couple of years later. Obviously the powers to be at Notre Dame never heard O'Brien's language on those Warner blooper reels. In the end though, I think O'Brien was a better choice. He looks more like a football coach to me.

Good call on the Porky Pig cartoon connection. I've heard some old timers who heard Reagan in action as a sportscaster marvel at how good he was at that. Working at a mega watt radio station in those pre TV days, his voice carried all over not only the midwest but the nation as well. He was already a minor celebrity before making his first movie.

There's an "in joke" in Hasty Heart which the commentator didn't mention - Reagan refers to going back home to Dixon, Illinois which was his real life hometown.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks