What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Return of the King Extended Cut - Absolutely Recommended (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, David, well done. I agree with everything you say, particularly the Gimli material (which detracts from the overall effect of the EE), and the DTS center-channel information, which is jarringly softer than the more action-oriented sound of the battle sequences. I had to grab the remote on several occasions to either turn a scene down or up. In any case, great review! :emoji_thumbsup:

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but DVD reviews are starting to read like wine reviews.

"A rich and sultry bouquet, yet strong and aggressive. Nutty with a hint of fruity decay and naturalness, leaves ones palette both airy and open, experienced with ease and aplomb. Oh, and a kick-ass LFE track."

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY appreciate the reviews and thank you (all of you) for taking the time to provide us additional data points to assist/educate and sometimes amuse us home theater fans.

By the was David - hat's off to you on this comment:

"Without knowing what the real mix is supposed to sound like"

That usual doesn't stop people from complaining about how something "should" sound. Good for you :)

Thanks again.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
David - you have to get the rear center channel. In fact, the LOTR films in dts-es justify the purchase of the center speaker. I'm not too taken with the rear center myself, especially in the instances of Dolby EX when the only thing that the sound people are doing is just simulating a matrixed Rear Center track behind you...a philosophy not too different from the Dolby Surround processing of old...but dts-es...when you hear The Ring whisper in FOTR, the sound coming out of your back rear channel like a whisper in your own ears...you're going to stand up and salute and say, "I love my rear center speaker!"

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
David, this is by far the best review of the first two discs for RotK:EE I have seen online. Your attention to detail is "absoultely" appreciated. After your point-by-point comparison of the two audio tracks, I wonder what's going on with other online reviewers who have said that there is little difference between the two.

Very much looking forward to your Part Two update.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Man, I bought my copy but can't watch it yet because my projector is in the shop! :angry: Maybe I should have held off to eliminate the aggrivation of having it and not being able to watch it, but I just couldn't let it wait.

Oh well, it will be just that much more glorious when I get my PJ back up and running again.

Great review David! :emoji_thumbsup: Very in-depth, and to think that about a month or so before LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring opened I didn't even know what the hell this story was or what it was about! Now, i'm totally engulphed in Tolkien's world, and this last film is the greatest.

Truly one of the great one's of all time. Yes, it's sad that it's all over, but these three wonderful films are free to take their places in cinema history...together.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm... Good review so far, look forward to the rest. Regarding the flesh tones (please don't throw-up), it's interesting that in your Mary Poppins Review you noted It's interesting; how similar are the (possibly) unintentional orange/green shifts of Mary Poppins to the (plausibly) intentional shifts of of LotR:RotK:EE? I haven't seen either yet (need to wait at least eight more sleeps). :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
For the record: In-phase data in DTS-ES Discrete is also incapable of being reproduced in all three rear channels at once, just as it is in DD-EX. To maintain backwards compatibility with DTS 5.1 or 6.1 matrixed DTS-ES systems, the sounds from the sixth discrete channel are also matrixed into the left and right surrounds. During DTS-ES Discrete decoding, the sound from the sixth discrete channel is comparatively SUBTRACTED from the left and right surrounds during decoding. So if the decoder sees that the sound in the sixth discrete channel is also in both the left and right surround channels at equal levels, it subtracts it from those channels. That way, they can still steer the sound precisely between speakers by using varying levels of that sound in the left and right surrounds (which would then not be subtracted by the decoder and would blend with the sixth discrete channel so that the sound images between your rear speakers). Much like DD-EX, this is a compromise to maintain compatibility inside their given format. The biggest difference is that DTS-ES Discrete gives more precise control over the placement of sounds across the rear soundstage.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

And the 3 part film is longer than any film you've seen. So lets see we follow 4 Hobbits from the beginning and continue with them for 9 to 11 hours(depending on which version) but we think it should end before we see what happens to the Hobbits hmmm. Maybe in a 2 hour film this might be ok.
Actually the most dissapointing part of the EE is that they didn't extend the endings when there was more filmed many of the other characters still do not have an ending for their character like the books did. The endings although great were too short and too rushed.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

How far do you live from DC? Want to join in my movie-marathon?

I'm planning a LOTR movie-marathon...might spread it out over a few days for folks who don't have the stamina and I could be convinced to take off the 27th myself and host a little marathon for the dedicated. In any case, it would be so cool to have an "HTF LOTR movie-marathon" at my place (106 inch screen...106 inch screen...). I can fit 6 in chairs with a couple more on the floor so space isn't too generous (studio apartment) but would still love to do it. I'm currently planning one such movie fest the weekend of MLK (January 15/16) for a few local friends who've expressed interest (if there's room some HTF members could gladly join then too) but would be totally willing to host another event at a different time to accomodate some more viewers.

Anyone up for it?

Heck...I'll even buy a center channel for the rear! :D :D :D

Jeremy, thanks for your technical assistance with the differences between DD EX and DTS ES. I'll make the corrections (and Brett I'll correct my mispelling of Rivendell)

Mike,

thanks so much for you thougtful comments in the feeback area. I'm touched-more than I can say (and you know how I typically can say a lot... :D)

Help with Center Rear Speaker...

folks...help me decide. I'd like for my LOTR movie-fest to be a full-fledged 6.1 extravoganza. My sofa backs up against the rear wall of the room...so there's not really any room "behind" the seating area for a center rear (why I haven't bothered thus far). Now, I could mount a speaker over the sofa on the wall...would that make sense? I've got the Rocket dipole surrounds on the sides currently...and Rocket (see them at av123.com) mains up front. Should I get another pair of dipole for the rear wall? Or direct-radiating? I'd imagine that dipole speakers would be good given being mounted right above folk's head on the wall would be less "beamy" if they were dipole.

What do you think? Oh yeah...and are you coming over for the LORT movie party? (email me if interested...totally serious about this). Did I mention that I have a 106-inch screen?

-dave :)

Manus

Second Unit
Anyone know where a poor non-U.S. based Lotr fan could acquire the U.S only (Why?) keepbox for the 3 Extended sets ?

M

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Great review, David! Just saw the first half last night. Wow! I prefered the DTS track, and did notice a bit more dynamic range between dialogue and other elements - this is a good thing.

Cheers,

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My setup is similar to David's. My sofas are against the back wall so a rear center speaker would be difficult to get the real benefit from. I guess it could be pointed down but then I fear that it would be distracting.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
David, nice review.

I have a pair of direct-radiating speakers for L+R Center as well as L+R Surround (this is a 7.1 setup, not 6.1). From the description of your setup, I would expect you to mount your speakers over the couch on the wall.

When you watch Gladiator in DTS-ES, you'll duck a few times. :)

- Steve

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
David and Tim, at my last residence I had the same couch location as you - back against the rear wall. My surrounds were to the left and right on the sides and I was able to effectively mount 2 rear surrounds directly above the couch and pointed down. The effect was realistic and immersive. Unfortunately, my current apartment will not allow so many rear speakers because wiring is a problem (at my last apartment, I just ran them under the carpet, here I don't have that option). If I could, I would do this setup again, but I had to use wire channeling and it won't fit more than 2 wires to the rear.

Absolutely!

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Me and my bro-in-law are having a marathon as well after christmas. Anyone in the Dallas Area interested in getting together for one of these marathons?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
David,

Very nice of you to set up a party, I'm sure it will be a success.

On the other issue ...

Get a center rear speaker or save money towards a larger apartment ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks