What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Reservoir Dogs" Tenth Anniversary Special Edition (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ash Atchison

Agent
At about the 28 minute mark, when Pink says "Is he dead or what?" and White says "He ain't dead", on my old vhs tape it has White also saying "I think he's just passed out", but it's not on the DVD.

A mistake in the sound mix maybe? Doesn't bother me too much, but wanted to make note of it anyway.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
That line of dialog is on the old DVD!
If a revision to Jackie Brown can come out
to fix a subtitle info track, how can an audio
mix problem that drops a line of dialog be allowed
to go without a correction??
Maybe they could address the video black level at
the same time.
We can wait for a correction if it is done right,
an example was the long awaited correction for
Dinosaurs.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I thought about buying this blind but with an obviously piss poor transfer, NO WAY will I fork over money for this.:thumbsdown:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The line is *DEFINITELY* missing from both the 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks on both the widescreen and fullscreen discs, although it *IS* listed in the closed captioning! On top of that, there's a *VERY* unnatural pause where the dialogue is missing that will drive you crazy once you know of the omission. Anyone who wants to confirm for themselves can go to approximately 28 minutes into the movie, turn on the CC and see for yourself. If the subpar transfer wasn't enough to get Artisan to recall this title then hopefully the missing dialogue will be.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
The old Live DVD has the line at 28:33 in the audio
track, in the subtitles and in the closed captions.
The line in all three forms is in the w/s and the p&s versions.
I am so glad I kept the old DVD!
How long will it take fix?
Someone has to let Quentin know!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At about the 28 minute mark, when Pink says "Is he dead or what?" and White says "He ain't dead", on my old vhs tape it has White also saying "I think he's just passed out", but it's not on the DVD.
Is this a universal problem or just a bad batch somewhere? Seems odd that so many fans would have had this disc for 2 weeks now and this is the first mention of the problem.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that different lines are looped at different points of the film's release.

I can't cite a specific example, but there was a documentary on some film a while back where a line was one way, then changed on either its second release or on home video (VHS) then changed back again to its original line on DVD.

There's also a Star Wars example where Luke says different things to R2D2 about either "not tasting very good" or "lucky to get out of there" when the swamp creature spits him out in Return of the Jedi. Those more knowledgeable in SW can chime in here.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the dialogue changes in the SW films, there have been quite a few over the years. Various versions of the original SW either had or didn't have Threepio's speech about the tractor beam in the Death Star's control room (where he and Artoo hid out), and the "Close the blast doors" comment from the Stormtrooper wasn't in all prints either. The line that Carlo mentioned was the example of this in "Empire", while the SE of "Jedi" changed Han's line while trying to help Lando into the Skiff on Tatooine (I can't remember which one was which though). In addition, there were two occurrences (Threepio saying "There's nowhere to go" in TESB, and Lando saying "We're sure in the middle of it now" in ROTJ) that were added back in with the Special Editions of those films.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Missing/changed dialog, vastly changed transfer, different framing... if this isnt recalled, or officially explained by the director or Artisan, I'm going to be EXTREMELY angry... in the meantime, I'm definately holding off on a purchase. :angry:

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I sent a quick email to the following web sites
about the dropped dialog line. I hope they make note
in the DVD reviews or better yet, they try to contact
Artisan.
DVDJournal
DVDReview
DVDFile
DVDAuthority
Currentfilms

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
K, despite all that was posted negatively on the Spec Ed., I picked up Mr. Brown's version. The DTS mix was the first selling feature...
As far as POOR transfer suggestions, I agree the suggestions this is screwed up are highly exagerated. (sp?)
I think the transfer in video quality is very good. I watched the film with two noobs to the film, and there was nothing remotely close to statements such as "Stop It!... This Picture Quality Is Driving Me Mad!!!"...
...indeed, they were captivated on the storyline;)
Although I've yet to see all the extras (thanks for pointing out they are different from disc one to two), I must point out that the interview with Lawrence Bender is an excellent addition. If you haven't watched it, flip the disc in (on the W/S disc).
The DTS transfer was "pretty good"... the upside was the dialogue's subtle background sounds.
I found that the highs and lows were pretty broad though. The opening music sequence "Little Green Bag" was powerful, but as I love that cut, I let it go. When it turned to restaurant scenes, I had to dial up the center a bit. When there were "disagreements" that lead to yelling, I had to dial the center back a bit.
They could have done much more with the DTS (as pointed in the review); other than background discussions, helicopters, and droning sounds within the warehouse, there was not much in the way of effects. Certainly the chase scene could have been dramatically heightened for effect(s).
Simply put, if you are a QT fan, get the special edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks