What's new

HTF Review: Quantum Leap - The Complete First Season (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Well, the Driving Miss Daisy rip-off was a bit blatant, and a lot less subtle than that film. And the mob episode also seemed clumsy next to the Godfather films, or modern TV like The Sopranos. But I still enjoy all the "young star" cameos as they appear, and the Sam/Al camaraderie worked very well from the start.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Actually, that episode aired in April 1989, and Driving Miss Daisy wasn't released until the following December, so it really can't be seen as a rip-off of the film. However, the play had been around for a while, I think.

Anyone have any ideas why "Play It Again, Seymour" has the opening from a later season? Again, not a huge deal as long as the episode is uncut, but I was just curious.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly they produced 13 episodes for the first season but only aired nine and kept four episodes for the second season.

Maybe they just changed the opening to the second-season-style one episode too early.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't think we've gotten a definitive statement from Universal, so there's no telling if each episode's music is identical to what originally aired or if each song is on a case-by-case basis. I haven't gotten to Tess yet, so I can't judge that for myself. I did watch Star-Crossed, however, and the original music sounded wonderful. This episode featured the original versions of Inna-Gadda, American Pie, and Betcha By Golly Wow. I love the Stylistics, so that latter sounded particularly good. I can't imagine how it would be with cover artists.

But, that brings me to the idea that the songs you mentioned probably are as they were originally presented when the episode first aired. Isn't the issue with music rights typically the song itself, and not the performance? I know Bosom Buddies originally had a cover of Billy Joel's My Life, and they lost the rights and had to come up with a new song. I imagine if the Williams estate (or whoever controls the music) had an issue with the Quantum Leap discs, the songs would have just been pulled entirely. I hope that's how it is, anyway. I guess the only way we'll know for sure is if someone has an off-the-air recording of the original episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcore fans at one of the QL sites do have a way to make a comparison.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just finished watching the first season episodes, it was very good to watch. I liked play it again Seamour simply because it had one of the cast members of B5 in it. Claudia something. That is what I like about StarTrek and some of these less known shows, you get to se actrises when they were a little less known.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just finished watching the first season episodes, it was very good to watch. I liked play it again Seamour simply because it had one of the cast members of B5 in it. Claudia something. That is what I like about StarTrek and some of these less known shows, you get to se actrises when they were a little less known.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Can anybody confirm that the Canadian boxset does not have a bilingual cover?

I bought my copy from a US shop but I want to buy another copy as a present - and I can get it cheaper and faster from a Canadian shop.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Can anybody confirm that the Canadian boxset does not have a bilingual cover?

I bought my copy from a US shop but I want to buy another copy as a present - and I can get it cheaper and faster from a Canadian shop.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
The Canadian box set has no french on it. I was suprised actually. Ususally Universal does bilingual covers and to my understanding it is the law.

On another QL note.. did you guys know that there is a QL TV movie coming out this year? I can't wait for this! It says that "Twenty years after the original series left Dr. Sam Beckett "leaping" into the great unknown, Sam is finally reunited with Al, his old mentor and "partner in time." But when circumstances beyond their control send Sam away once more, Al must recruit his lost friend's daughter to pick up where her father left off and hopefully help find Sam again in the process."

And could this daughter be the child he fathered in the second of the three episodes that centered around that girl?

I hope that Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are on board... as well as Gushie.

But shouldn't it be 10 years instead of 20 because?

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
The Canadian box set has no french on it. I was suprised actually. Ususally Universal does bilingual covers and to my understanding it is the law.

On another QL note.. did you guys know that there is a QL TV movie coming out this year? I can't wait for this! It says that "Twenty years after the original series left Dr. Sam Beckett "leaping" into the great unknown, Sam is finally reunited with Al, his old mentor and "partner in time." But when circumstances beyond their control send Sam away once more, Al must recruit his lost friend's daughter to pick up where her father left off and hopefully help find Sam again in the process."

And could this daughter be the child he fathered in the second of the three episodes that centered around that girl?

I hope that Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are on board... as well as Gushie.

But shouldn't it be 10 years instead of 20 because?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if you knew, but the actor who played Gushie--Dennis Wolfberg--has been dead for 10 years now.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if you knew, but the actor who played Gushie--Dennis Wolfberg--has been dead for 10 years now.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

This is an old rumour. I don't think it's a reality yet. I'd love to be proven wrong though, if they can get the old cast back on board.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

This is an old rumour. I don't think it's a reality yet. I'd love to be proven wrong though, if they can get the old cast back on board.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
At amazon.com the boxset is only on place 91 in the Bestseller charts - that doesn't look good. :frowning:

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
At amazon.com the boxset is only on place 91 in the Bestseller charts - that doesn't look good. :frowning:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
My Quantum Leap set just arrived and I'll be watching it later this week. I do have a question for folks who remember watching the episodes or just watched them. I have a memory when I originally saw the episode "Double Identity" I thought that it should have aired after the pilot because of some of what Sam and Al were talking about. Does this make sense to anyone?

By the way this episode guide appears to have a list with each episode of the music in the episode. In many cases it says just who sang the song in question as well.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
My Quantum Leap set just arrived and I'll be watching it later this week. I do have a question for folks who remember watching the episodes or just watched them. I have a memory when I originally saw the episode "Double Identity" I thought that it should have aired after the pilot because of some of what Sam and Al were talking about. Does this make sense to anyone?

By the way this episode guide appears to have a list with each episode of the music in the episode. In many cases it says just who sang the song in question as well.

Neil

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Funny how minds work. You thought of her from B5 and I thought of her as Bill Haverchuck's mom in Freaks & Geeks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks