What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm happy to see a rerelease. However, when I scanned the web for best preorder prices, I see that there are 2 edition coming out - one that's discussed here, on 8/20 and a limited edition on 9/24.
The 8/20 release is generally found at less than $20. The limited edition lists for $59.99! :eek: I'm unable to get much, if any, details about the more expensive edition. I've actually only seen conflicting details - Amazon says it's a 2 disc collection, dvdpricesearch.com says it's 3 discs, and bestbuy.com says it's 1 disc. Anyone know anything on this?

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
SOLD!
Pulp Fiction is undoubtedly my favorate film and I have been waiting so long for an anamorphic transfer. No I have it, my life is complete.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Ron
What about the ringing that the DVD File's reviewer mentioned(He has a couple of pictures of it). Did you notice that as well?? Is it as obtrusive to your eyes?? After all he knocked 2 points off the picture for it.
Also unlike you and other reviewers, he did not rave about the audio either. :confused:

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
----------------------------------------------------
the rebate offer for owners of the old disc makes it even sweeter!
-------------------------------------------------------

What is the rebate offer? I own the original disc but would like to get the upgraded transfer and sound.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just a word of warning...from what I've been able to read so far, Link Removed(which is coded Region 0) of Pulp Fiction still seems to be the winner in terms of the best anamorphic picture. I'm basing this on this thread where there is a comparison between the new Miramax region 1 version and the Toshiba anamorphic region 2 version. Since the region 0 Korean disc is better than the R2 (no edge enhancement) than I think it's safe to conclude that it is still superior to the new Miramax release.
I'm holding off on my purchase until I see a direct R0 vs. R1 comparision. But based on the following quotes, I think I'm leaning towards not getting the new one:
This is not to say the new transfer is "crisp". The high frequency video information seems to be rolled off which means the fine detail and textures that should be visible are not. Unfortunate, this is. I consider it a case of too much on a single disc. I feel it was a mistake to put a DTS soundtrack on this disc, as well as all the full-motion menus.
By comparison, the Japanese R2 disc is sharp as a tack. Details and textures like folds and wrinkles in clothing are much more sharply delineated than the new CE. There is, however some edge enhancement in this R2 version, but the other aspects of the transfer offset this, in my opinion. When I watch Pulp Fiction, I will still watch the R2 version.
Finally, by way of comparison, I turned on the bit rate meter on my player and watched the first two sequences, "the diner" and "Jules & Vince". The bit rate on the R2 disc averages about 25 - 30% higher, and in the opening shots in the diner, as much as 50% higher. The formatting of the R2 disc is the movie, a single 5.1 track, a single 2.0 track, and a subtitle track. That's it.

Jeff

MatS

Screenwriter
Peter if I am not mistaken the 3 disc version you are seeing listed is one of those specially created packages with the soundtrack included and some other fluff promo materials.

I can't remember who puts these out but I'm pretty sure there was one for some Kubrick releases (ACO, FMJ, 2001)

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Just to point out. I seem to remember people complaining about the audio on the Korean release. Is this true? Didn't the Korean release have a lackluster audio track, even when compared to the older Canadian and US releases? Anyways, I thought I would at least bring the audio aspect up as this new release has a very nice dts track.

FWIW, I think this new release looks outstanding. It blows my older Canadian release away. The opening scene with the mini-blinds in the background is terrible on my Canadian disc as it is riddled with moire, however with this new transfer the blinds are rock solid. Not to mention you can actually see buildings and cars passing by out of the window. There are other things that I was able to notice in the background throughout the movie that just didn't ever stand out before in my older dvd and laserdisc. Check out the scenes that take place in Jack Rabbit Slim's. EE wasn't distracting to me, of course I am watching on a 50" RPTV so I'm sure the front projection crowd can weigh in more conclusively. Overall I am very happy with it, YMMV.

And of course this new release has more supplements if that's your thing.

Just thought I would add to the topic.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Many thanks, Mat. I still can't quite determine whether the actual dvd content & features are the same as the 8/20 release, but I think I'll just buy the Collector's Edition. $50 for fluff is a little too steep for me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The packaging on this and Jackie Brown is just great.
Its been a long wait but looks like it was worth it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What about the ringing that the DVD File's reviewer mentioned(He has a couple of pictures of it). Did you notice that as well?? Is it as obtrusive to your eyes?? After all he knocked 2 points off the picture for it.
I haven't even read the DVDFILE review, though
I have much respect for the opinions of Peter
Bracke (if he authored that review). All I can
say is that my review speaks for itself. I was
very happy with the video presentation and even
more satisfied with the audio presentation.

THE DIGITAL BITS also gave this disc a
satisfactory review on both audio and video,
so I can't be too far of in my assesments.

The final word will come from those of you
who receive your copies in the next few days
and you can all chimed in as to whose review
most closely resembles what you saw and heard.

Enjoy!

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I passed on the oringal release and have been waiting for for this one. Im so glad that they did it right, can't wait til midnight 12:01am tuesday to get one of my favorite movies done RIGHT on DVD:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for the great review Ron
Matt

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Didn't the Korean release have a lackluster audio track, even when compared to the older Canadian and US releases?
I don't find the audio that much different than the original R1 releases, but what is different is the center channel. In some scenes, mainly ones with shouting, you do get some crackling.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Can someone confirm if the film's MPAA rating is anywhere on the discs or packaging, and if so, where exactly?

Thanks, this is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
These sound like great discs, but I do have one complaint. And I guess I should be thankful that it is a relatively small one, however, has anyone else noticed from the scans of the packaging that Miramax is using the same annoying, impossible to remove coupon-sticker that Dreamworks used on Shrek?
To make matters worse, these are cardboard cases, so I fail to see how you could hope to remove it entirely without damaging the packing. It's a real shame someone had to ruin these attractive cases with this coupon-sticker. Couldn't they've done a coupon insert instead, like with New Line did with LOTR? :angry:
--
Paul Arnette

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I don't find the audio that much different than the original R1 releases, but what is different is the center channel. In some scenes, mainly ones with shouting, you do get some crackling.
Unfortunately, I noted some crackling on this new release in certain louder dialog passages as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks