What's new

HTF REVIEW: Planet Of The Apes (1 Viewer)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Not to get into a debate about the Emmerich/Devlin films (I do agree that their stuff is fluff), but in regards to POTA, I don't think Burton tried to do more than just that: produce a popcorn flick. Apart from a couple of a list actors, the themes of the movie were paper thin ( a simple role reversal with some racism mixed in), and I just thought Emmerich and Devlin could have easily done the same while making it LOOK like $80million+ was actually spent on the production. Burton's films looked bigger than life in his previous films because of the visual style that he employed. IMHO, none of it was really applied to POTA. It seems as though most of the effort in the production was applied to the ape make up.
From a SCI FI standpoint, I was still entertained by the basic premise and controversial surprise ending. After seeing the finished product, I was surpised to see that Burton didn't break any ground at all with the film. It felt like a small scale Emmerich/Devlin movie, but, had they done it, it would have felt like a bigger movie that would have been more befitting for it.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I too am looking to pick this one up as well. It's going to be a busy next couple of months
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Matt_P

Second Unit
Unfortunately, no amount of extras can make me even consider purchasing this title....I thought the film lacked a soul, of which the original had plenty. Albeit, the effects and makeup were extremely impressive--however, this alone simply cannot compensate for a weak plot. And where was Dr. Zaius??? Oh well. I hope it is an enjoyable disc set for all who plan to purchase it.
On second thought, Chuck Heston as an ape passing out ancient firearms may singlehandedly convince me to purchase this......well, maybe not....
------------------
9/11/01 -- IN MEMORIUM
"We will previal." -- President George W. Bush

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
This DVD will be worth buying just for the opening credits! The opening score and credits are absolutely phenomenal!!

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing beats the original. The original ending for the
1969 version was that we see Taylor(C Heston) riding on
horseback with ape girl along the coastline. The expression
and shock of surprise on Taylor's face when he saw the Statue of Liberty buried up to its head along the sand
is one sure mesmerising scene. It was a clssic masterpiece.
Through his expression one can imagine the thoughts that was
going thru his mind. Well I have not seen this re-make &
like some DVD fans is waiting for the DVD release. A sure
buy for me only because of the audio & video transfers, the
2 disc set and all the extra features offered.
Can't wait for the street date !

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I picked this up today, superb picture and sound quality, the menus are fantastic, the movie itself is good, a fun movie but still doesn't even come close to the 1968 classic IMHO.
Now what interested me was on the back cover is the blurb 'over 13 hours of extras', erm 13 hours? Come on, I haven't timed them but how did they arrive at that figure, even counting the commentaries it still couldn't possibly reach 13 hours of extras.
Didn't Shrek have a similar boast, what gives?
[Edited last by Steve Christou on November 07, 2001 at 06:44 AM]

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty much in agreement with Ron on all counts, this DVD is amazing, one of the best ever.
If you're interested in Easter Egg info, complete authoritative detailed specs and/or my take on the disc, you can find it all here.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

I am so tired of these all flash and no substance such as this film. It seems like all the movies that are coming out, are all nice to look at and sound great, but they are crummy films. This one is no exception. I hated the fact that they re-did elements from the original movie, making it even harder to like. I will not be buying this film. I am hoping for films with original ideas and story lines. Music unfortunately has taken the same path it seems, re-doing old songs and making them worse, original ideas have seem to be a thing of the past. IMHO...
------------------
Stephen C. Coghill
www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I extensively watched both discs, and this release is spectacular. From video transfer, to audio and extras..... The Split screen Multi Angle test shots were truly amazing....
One question I have though, in some of the split screen test shots, I noticed music would start to play ever time I clicked on one of the Female apes..... She was the one that did the Shaking Hand Dance on the bed of the Senator. I forget the actresses name. What is this all about??
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Unfortunatley, most of the opinions on the actually films are very subjective, especially on THIS board. I find that many of the facorably reviewed films are ones that I didn't enjoy in the theater. Sometimes, movies are more enjoyable at home as opposed to the theaters and are reflected in Ron's reviews.
I was entertained by POTA in the theaters. I didn't think it was a great film, but a solid movie. I didn't enjoy the original in the theaters as it was intended to be show. Instead, my experience was watching bits and parts of it on TV throughout the last 15 or so years. Therefore, I wasn't as offended with this remake.
The HTF is not a site where I go for film critiques. I expect the reviews to be subjective, focus mainly on the technical merits of the dvd and how it was enjoyed on the reviewer's repsective HT. I like Ron's review because is critique is based on a "J6P" perspective - expectations from "buzz", having maybe seen a screening earlier during it theatrical release, or having no idea of what to expect. I like these points of view because it represents only his perspective and enjoyment of the movie, and definitely is not a breakdown of the film from a professional critique.
For movies that I haven't seen, I generally look at critics' comments from both the press and from discussion boards like this one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Elbert,
I have a limited College education, which
my vocabulary and writing style reflects.
I enjoy writing, but I often feel a little
embarrassed that I don't write better.
I continue writing reviews because I realize
my lack of professionalism is actually a plus.
My reviews represent the common man on this
forum. I am not one who has much technical
knowledge of film nor DVD. I write solely based
on what I see and hear without attempting to
go over the reader's head with all sorts of large
vocabulary and technical mumbo-jumbo.
I write as a member of this forum, for the members
of this forum.
I really appreciate what you wrote. It is
exactly how I look at myself as a reviewer.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I didn't like the remake of Apes but the DVD is excellent. Just got done watching it and playing with the extras of which there are many. Keep you busy for hours!
If you liked the movie the DVD is a must buy.
--------------------------------
My Site: Link Removed
DVD,MOVIE, AND GAME NEWS
now updated every 15 minutes.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
This is actually the first time I have ever seen Danny Elfman
Ron - have you checked the supplements for Nightmare Before Christmas? There's an extensive interview with Elfman as he records the demos for the songs and scores for the the film. (definitely in the long LD version, not sure about the trimmed DVD documentary.)
If you've ever seen Back To School, you've seen Elfman. Oingo Boingo performs live on screen (Dead Man's Party, I believe), and of course Elfman provides the film's score (I think his second after Pee-Wee's Big Adventure).
I loved this film, since it tells a different story. It doesn't feel like a sequel or a remake. In-jokes aside, it stands on its own terms, love it or hate it.
Forget the Grinch on Nov. 20th. Apes rule!
------------------
kdp.jpg

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Ron, I love and hate your reviews. I had no plan to purchase this since I did not like the last 10~15 minutes. The first 40 minutes or so was absolutely enjoyable. I love reading your reviews on DVD and in the movie section. I hate it because it makes me buy DVDs that I had not planned on. FYI, your greatest contribution to my collection is WALKING WITH DINOSAURS. I really enjoyed that one. I'm just so tempted to pick up POTA (available here in HK). If Burton explains the ending in the commentary, I will definetly buy, which I doubt it. I'll pick it up anyway.
------------------

Luis A

Second Unit
I finaly got to sit down and watch POTA today. This was the first time I've seen it, and I have to say I loved it. Great Saturday afternoon action movie. The video is excellent and the DTS track will blow you away. A must own IMO.
Now I'm going to watch How the Grinch Stole Chirstmas. :)
L

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely hated this movie but after reading your review I actually entertained the thought of picking this up (only for a second, though).
icon13.gif
to FOX for releasing this drivel theatrically, but a big time
icon14.gif
for putting so much effort into the DVD release. Now if only we could see this impressive a release on a movie that doesn't make you shudder and cringe every two minutes.
Oh, and great review, Ron.
------------------
Link Removed

Paul W

Second Unit
I loved this movie - I hated this movie - I loved seeing Charlton Heston - I hated (with a passion) the fact that they mispronounced Seamus (Irish Shaemus?) during the entire movie. The plot - well, I was drunk, so I loved seeing this movie!
Regardless - I am looking forward to this set!
tongue.gif

------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

YANG

Screenwriter
(Howling)Aww...Aww...Aww Hooo to FOX!
--------------------------------------
Thats a "Hooo" not "Booo" folks!

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Very nice DVD! Gorgeous picture, aggressive sound, and tons of extras. Minor gripe is that you can't change audio and subtitles on the fly. Thank you Ron for making me buy. The DVD comes with an interesting card titles "TIME DEOS NOT TRAVEL INA STRAIGHT LINE THROUGH AN ELECTROMAGNETIC STORM." This gives a simple chronological timeline of the events that happen on Earth and on the Planet of the Apes. It does not clarify the ending, only suggeting possibilities. I'm going to listen to the commentary and see if Burton explains the ending. Will report back if I find anything interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks