What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition" (screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Huge fan, absolutely.

Just not receiving Fox screeners anymore.

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
Well I already got this today. I have the original box set, and look forward to the anamorphic transfer. Zooming the old version did not look to bad really. I hope the re-release all of these. I will buy them one at a time if need be. I like the POTA films better than Star Wars or LOTR. They are pretty much my favorite. When they come out on HD-DVD 10 years from now, I will buy them again. I just wish they would make a part 2 to the new series.

So now I have on DVD:

Old movie series
New release of the first one (duh)
The TV series
The new movie with Mark Wahlberg in it

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Fox does it again, Spoils movie in the Motion Menu!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be hilarious if Fox included the Planet of the Apes musical spoof from The Simpsons, or at least include it as an easter egg. :D

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
What season is that from, Richard? 6? 7? Blast the Simpsons for being released so slowly!

For those of you who don't frequent the Weekly Round-Up in the Coupons & Bargains section (and you should!), Best Buy has a 2 for $30 deal on any of the Fox 2-Disc Collector's Editions. So you could get this for $15 along with another great film. I chose The Sound of Music, but the deal also includes the new Alien releases, Fight Club, X2, The Abyss, ID4, etc.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
It would be remiss of me not to at least stick my head in this thread and thank FOX for finally releasing a reputable version of this classic. Especially considering the amount of complaining I have done in the past. I have been waiting since the ooooollldddd days of LD.. remember those? It is, after all, my favorite film. Again, thanks FOX.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I went to pick this up today and had absolutely no luck. Wal-Mart had only full screen (which is odd, even for them) and Hastings had only 1 widescreen and the box was crushed. Crap. Oh well, maybe I'll try again this weekend.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

Same for the walmart near me. I almost picked it up accidentally until I remembered that it was released in both versions. The real irritating thing is that the price sticker was generally placed over the full screen label on the box (although I'll admit there was an extra sticker on the shrink wrap saying full screen).

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Did anybody get an insert with this? There's a pocket in the case that looks like it's supposed to hold one, but all I got was an ad for the Alien Quadrilogy. .

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Yes, there is supposed to be a silver insert in addition to Alien Quadrilogy ad. It's a 2-page deal that lists the bonus features on the inside. On the back, there is the Scene Selection index and the film credits.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
two stores i went to for this, and i had a hard time finding a box that wasn't banged up in some way.
i finally found one that wasn't too bad, but when i opened it, one of the hubs was broken.
oh well, i was planning on taking them out anyway and using a 2 disc slim line amaray to keep it inside the evolution box set.

i'm really happy that Fox got around to remastering this.
i pulled out Beneath a few days ago and it really does look great for a non-a title.
i've seen many anamorphic discs that didn't even look that nice, but the new POTA does kick up the fine detail.
and the film is more than worthy of the effort to get it right.

i won't get time to watch it until the weekend probably, but just flipping thru a few chapters i'm reminded of how much i love Hestons work.
i probably vehemently disagree with much of his politics, but he was a wonderfully humane actor, and he chose parts (especially in his sci-fi phase) that resonate with intelligence and wit and compassion.
even when hes playing a misanthrope like Taylor.

i hope much more of his work gets released and soon.

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody get an insert with this? There's a pocket in the case that looks like it's supposed to hold one, but all I got was an ad for the Alien Quadrilogy. .

I didnt get an insert or the add for the Alien Quadrilogy!!! Looks like its back to Best Buy on lunch today.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yes, there was a silver insert, folded over in mine.
didn't look at it though.

i don't think your missing much of anything.

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to stir up anything here - as this is somewhat minor, but I think one of the screenshots here is a bit of a spoiler.

I only read this review today after having watched the DVD last night... and at the beginning of the movie I couldn't recall the outcome of one of the spacecraft's occupants. Not recalling made it a little more suspenseful; however had I seen this review beforehand it would have spoiled that aspect.

Again, this is a minor point as it relates to an event fairly early on in the film and I'm sure most people are familiar enough with the film that it's not an issue, but since Adam himself hadn't seen the film I thought I should mention it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You guys gotta lighten-up on Adam here. I mean, the guy goes out of his way to get this review up ASAP and goes through all the trouble (and expense!) of loading those screen-captures on his server space. Now...had he fumbled and chosen a screen-cap on-par with the old DVD cover-art, THEN I think we could be singing the blues about "spoilers" and what-not. But all things considered I think the solution is to "scan" over the screen-caps and focus only on the ones that look "safe" to your eyes. That's what I normally do when viewing screen-caps for films with which I'm not familiar...

In any case, great review and BRAVO to Adam for forging the way with screen-caps here at HTF!

dave :)

:emoji_thumbsup:

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
Is the paper(listing the contents) on the back cover supposed to be loose or glued to the back cover? Mine was not glued to the back cover. Please chime in. Got mine from Walmart (widescreen!) in Canada. :frowning:

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

I got mine at a Best Buy here in the States. The back page was glued on, but came off with no fuss. I also found the Alien ad as well as a POTA-specific insert which I haven't yet read.

Just as an aside, there were several full-screen editions of the DVD on the shelf at the store. I had to ask someone to get a widescreen version from the back for me.

Nick

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I went to get mine at Costco (in Canada) and was shocked to find that they ONLY had foolscreen. So I went to best buy and found a widescreen copy.

The back cover of mine was not glued on. I ended up tearing it (accidentally) not realizing that it was a separate page when I opened the cellophane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks