1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ben_Williams, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Travis_S

Travis_S Well-Known Member

Travis
    Am I the only one who really, really liked this movie and preferred it to the original?

I thought so.

2. DavidPla

DavidPla Well-Known Member

I'm with you. And I assume so does the general public as it is not only the top grossing film of the year but on pace to be the top selling live action DVD of all time.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    No offense guys, but "the general public" also likes "The Simple Life" and "American Idol". [​IMG]

As for me, I'll put "Dead Man's Chest" at a 4 and "Curse of the Black Pearl" at an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I liked this (not as much as the original) but I'm confused how anyone that liked the original and hates this one. They're pretty much the same movie- one just has bigger, crazier crap in it than the other. [​IMG]

5. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I watched this for a second time recently and I do think the first movie was better - however, I still enjoyed this again.

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Easy, the second one has none of the charm of the first and the Jack Sparrow character is the prime example. In this one he is just a selfish jerk.

Then again, I thought the first one was a 6.5-7/10 at best and lacked any depth that necessitated repeated viewings.

7. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Well-Known Member

well, I also think the first one suffers from some of the same flaws, but it was "fresh" and "new" and so it cut against all our expectations.

Plus, this one really isn't a continuation of the first (a la Star Wars) so it doesn't really offer any new or continuing revelation.

8. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed and audio glitches in the beginning with the thumping of the heartbeat? I had a crackle a couple of times in the beginning. Player seems fine. Did not watch thru the home theater system because wife was asleep at the time.

9. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Well-Known Member

Forgot to post this before. I bought the single-disc version and the disc says "DISC 1" on it. I'm guessing that means its literally the same disc as the DISC 1 in the two-disc version.

10. Chad R

Chad R Well-Known Member

Chad Rouch

11. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Well-Known Member

If nighttime indoor scenes are one black blur, the display needs to be calibrated. The "Brightness" setting controls where the darkest black is - if you can't see anything in dark scenes, this is set too low. The "Contrast" setting controls the level of the brightest white - set this too high and you lose detail in the bright areas and things become overly bright or saturated, and set too low everything looks hazy.

12. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Well-Known Member

I saw this on opening day in the theater with my wife - we both had a great time, with lots of action and laughs. I got the DVD for Christmas, although I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Of course the movie wasn't perfect, but it's ironic that people crap on this movie so much and go on to praise some really crappy movies (by any standard, except maybe "amount of bass").

13. RogerH

RogerH Well-Known Member

I got this DVD for xmas and watched it for the first time on Sunday. I really enjoyed it the only thing is with that ending I can't wait for the 3rd movie. What a way to end it.