What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pearl Harbor" The Director's Cut (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Michael Bay is an excellent director. He has a style that typifies mainstream Hollywood filmmaking, but gives it a kind of glossy grandeur, and certainly packed his first three films full of pastiche and irony. His first three are made entirely from an audience's perspective - Pearl Harbor is obviously a far more serious work, but, alas, that isn't Michael Bay's strong point, one of the reasons why the film doesn't quite work, but to be fair, I can't think of any director who could do any better.

Randy van Rijn

Auditioning
What about Paul verhoeven? He made 'Soldier Of Orange' in Holland and it's still my favourite WWII film. I think he's very capable in combining violence, realism and believable characters... Just look at 'Soldier Of Orange', 'Flesh + Blood' and 'Robocop'.

Randy

KlausWinkler

Agent
Regarding the "historical inaccuracies"...
It's always amazing, how this is brought up to critize some movies, but totally ignored for others.

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the "historical inaccuracies"...
It's always amazing, how this is brought up to critize some movies, but totally ignored for others.
Well, maybe rightly so for PH. The director complains that so many people these days don't know about what happened at Pearl Harbor, yet states in the audio commentary "We fudged history a bit here..." .

Or "..back then we didn't have spy footage, but I added it."

And "..those books said Roosevelt knew, but I don't believe it, that's my personal opinion." italics mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks