What's new

HTF REVIEW: "One Hour Photo" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Thusfar, the reviews that I've read regarding the soundtrack have definitely been love/hate. The March 2003 issue of Home Theater Magazine describes it as "disappointing" and "poorly mixed and focuses so heavily on the film's evocative score that the characters' lines are difficult to hear at times." Yet another review (in a magazine that I can't remember) simply raves about the surround sound, and said something along the lines of never hearing another DVD that uses the rear speakers to powerfully and wonderfully.

Regardless, this DVD has and will remain on my "WishList" and will be coming to my Home Theater soon. Just LOVE those thrillers!

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
I can imagine there might be people that could be bored with the ending of this movie. Without spoilers, I can't say much but I would like to add to those that were VERY impressed with the performance, cinematography and editing. It ain't Hollywood!

Just a first class piece of cinema! And I found it spooky as hell and the ending absolutely perfect. The revelations of Sy's character all match: Williams increasingly agitated behavior, plot background I didn't expect, and all the final wrap-up touches. It's rare that I can't complain about plot or character inconsistencies. This is really something.

(it's a shame I can't let my wife see this - it would creep her out seriously)

Margo

Agent
I just got done watching this and came here to check out what Ron had to say... I was surprised that this one didn't get a "highly recommended." The whole thing was just brilliant from beginning to end. Love the cinematography and Williams performance. :D

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
WOW! Saw this at a friend's house yesterday! Brilliant movie in every way. Now I want to order it for myself. Does anyone know if I order from "North American DVD" (A Canadian store) if it will have a bilingual cover or not?

Also...I'm not quite sure I understood the ending. You know, The photo of the family, and Robin Williams was in the picture. Why was that? He never took any pictures with them,

Aside from the confusing ending, I think, this is one of the best films I've seen this year.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watched this film for the first time tonight and must say that agree with just about everything you said Ron...almost.

My gripe is with an odd shaking in a lot of scenes throughout the film, as pointed out in another thread it looks as if a slight earthquake were happening while they were filming the movie.

I'm surprised you didn't catch this, Ron, it's very distracting at times.

Outstanding film otherwise. Robin Williams gives his second best performance for me, his first and still best being Good Will Hunting IMO. But he was chilling in this film, big time!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
My gripe is with an odd shaking in a lot of scenes throughout the film...
I didn't notice any shaking whatsoever on my copy. A great-looking DVD in fact. Colors are wildly vibrant. The SavMart scenes give one the impression of a "Hospital Zone", everything is so bright & clean. :) Excellent!

Anybody else not experience the "shake factor"?

Great film. I thoroughly enjoyed Robin's spot-on performance. It felt truly like Robin could be living/working next door to any one of us here. Eerily realistic performance IMO.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if I order from "North American DVD" (A Canadian store) if it will have a bilingual cover or not?
I don't think it'd have bilingual art.
It's a FOX DVD. You're much more likely to get the French cover if it were Paramount.

But I don't think FOX does bilingual covers, do they? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I had read there was a scene that had the "shaking" so when I watched it I looked out for it and it does indeed happen. It's during the scene in the canteen where his boss asks him if he has any vacation time left. It only happens a couple of times and it seems to be the same camera angle.

Still ... a very good movie. I agree that the ending is a little disappointing, but overall a good flick.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...the "shaking"...I looked out for it and it does indeed happen. It's during the scene in the canteen where his boss asks him if he has any vacation time left. It only happens a couple of times and it seems to be the same camera angle.
Glenn .... I just re-watched the scene you pointed out (it's Chapter #10; "Christmas Fantasy"). And you're right. There is some shaking in the 2 widest shots in the scene. The close ups seem to be shake-free. Funny, I never even noticed the shaking when first viewing the DVD.

Is the shaking present in any other scenes? Or is it confined to just those 2 Wide shots in Chap. 10?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
We just watched this film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually liked the ending since it was more consistent with Sy's character than the expected ending would have been.

The only nit I would pick was a brief line of dialogue near the end when Sy reveals that he was forced to perform sexual acts while his father took pictures.
It seemed like dime store psychology to me, and was unnecessary IMHO.

Very fine, creepy, sad film.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks