Rated: NR

Length: 10 hours, 35 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English Mono

Closed Captioned in English

Special Features: None

SRP: $30.00 USD

Release Date: September 7, 2004

In 1978, a giant egg dropped out of the sky and landed in Boulder, Colorado. From it hatched an odd man with with a manic personality, wearing a red and silver space suit. His name was Mork (Robin Williams). A misfit on his home world of Ork, he was sent to Earth with an assignment: observe the customs of Earthlings and report back to his Orkan leader, Orson.

Mork is befriended by a lovely young record store clerk named Mindy (Pam Dawber), who takes him in and lets him stay in the attic above her apartment.

This is a fish really out of water story, as Mork tries to fit in with humanity, week after week.

I must say that, as a ten year old in 1978, I was a huge fan of this show. I made it a point to watch it every week, and would howl with laughter at Robin Williams’ antics. Somehow, Mork & Mindy doesn’t have the same effect on me as it did back then. Either my sense of humor has grown more sophisticated, or the show is simply too dated to be funny anymore. I think it’s more of the former than the latter. Sure, I chuckle at it now and then, but I’ve lost the need for knee-slapping guffaws.

In the interest of full disclosure, I viewed the following episodes for this review:
The Mork & Mindy Special
Mork Moves In
To Tell the Truth
Mork’s Mixed Emotions

Video
Mork & Mindy is in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1.

The picture is surprisingly sharp, for the most part. There are a few scenes that seem a bit soft and grainy, but it seems a fault of the original photography and not of the transfer. There are no obvious signs of sharpening or compression artifacts.

Colors are dead on and deeply saturated. Contrast is excellent, blacks are strong while maintaining detail in the shadows. Whites are bright, without blowing out the highlights.

Blemishes on the prints are surprisingly few and far between, given the age of the show, at least on the episodes that I viewed.

Audio
The episodes include the original monaural track. There’s not a lot of low end, here, but the dialog is very clear. Music doesn’t sound bad, either. The sound seems to be free of hiss or other artifacts of age. I wouldn’t expect any better from source recordings of this age.

Final Thoughts
There are no special features in this set - only the original 24 episodes from the original season. The audio / video quality in this set is very nice, so if you’re a fan and a child at heart, $1.25 per episode would be money well spent.

John KB

Second Unit
Got mine today. I've only watched the pilot so far. Glad to have it, but I agree, it is a bit dated.
I met Robin Williams on the set of a movie he was shooting here in Winnipeg this summer. He signed my Mork doll, so that was cool. He was very nice.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
How did you get a copy of Mork & Mindy before it was released John KB?

Does the pilot really include Henry Winkler and Penny Marshall? Never seen these episodes.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
What was Mork & Mindy a spin off of?

I know it was a spin-off from somewhere I think?

I could be wrong.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mork first appeared on an ep of Happy Days.

or it could have been around the same time as the debut of M&M.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
If they do the final season on DVD at some point, I hope they include the intended 3-D version of GOTTA RUN PART 2.

Yes, that's right. Most of the second to last episode of the series was shot in true stereoscopic 3-D. It never aired that way, though, as the series was being cancelled and ABC didn't think it was worth the bother and expense of promotion and distribution of glasses.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Again, for JohnKB... how did you get a copy of M&M before it was released comercially?

Beau

Supporting Actor
Wasn't sure if I wanted to buy this or not since some reviews I read said it's dated now and not as funny, but took a chance anyways, and glad I did becasue I think it's very funny. Though I've only watched the first episode so far. Havent seen this show for so long, glad to have it on DVD.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how good the sales were on Season 1? Can we reasonably expect further sets of this show? Any info would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks