What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Minority Report" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Why do you suppose that the three 'pre-cogs' can ONLY envision murders within the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area?
The mind being limitless in it powers, so it would seem, I wonder why the pre-cogs are limited solely to their home environs. Doesn't make much sense.
Why not L.A., NYC, or Vegas? They'd really be busy predicting slayings if this were the case. :)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
DC has one of the largest crime rates in the US. (I guess banning guns really does work :frowning: ) I assume it was chosen as the setting for it's monuments and since it is the US capitol.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the premise of the film is that the precogs could only sense what was in relatively close proximity to them. That's why at the end of the film they were in the middle of nowhere, thus they weren't sensing any murders
. Just my guess.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good guess Carlo, I thought the same.
Excellent film, very well done. It made for a great blind purchase.
Peace Out~:D

Doug Smith

Second Unit
This one is in EX My new Marantz kicked on the EX label and sound through the back speaker when in DD. However in DTS it is in 5.1 - no ES! There is nothing on the box indicating that it is EX.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
i liked the movie to, just got one problem with it, how come a secure unit where such research occurs would'nt block access to a ex-employee who is expected to commit murder? Tom cruise's character walks straight back in to secure areas and the computer system (which identifies him correctly) lets him with no trickey, i found this aspect of the movie ridiculous.

michael freeman

Auditioning
Has any one else experienced a problem with the disc early in the film when the pre-crime unit makes it's initial raid? We've tried the disc on two players and one skipped backwards during this scene, and the other paused like it was processing a layer change the first time, then subsequently showed signs of pixelation.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
how come a secure unit where such research occurs would'nt block access to a ex-employee who is expected to commit murder?
I can only speak for the computer industry, but whenever we lose an employee...everyone is too lazy to delete their account(s). Granted, it's a little different when the ex-employee is wanted for a future murder, but it's an explanation none-the-less.

As for the problem that Michael noticed...I've haven't had any problems with my Tosh 5700 or my 2109.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Ummmmmmm...I just watched this film on my KV-34XBR800 (Sony XBR 34 inch widescreen HDTV) and the edge enhancement was VERY visible. I feel sorry for those watching this film on a large RP or FP display.....

What's the damn point in using EE???? Doesn't help anything, just cut it out. This was most definitely not present in the original print.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Same here. I just bought a 65" SONY 16X9
and the EE on Minority Report is very noticeable. And extremely disappointing.:frowning:
I never noticed EE before on my 32", so this was a bit of a shock. I dread to think how many more of my DVD's have EE that I never noticed before.
But I do love my new set!;)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
I finally watched this disc last night and found it as enjoyable as when I saw it in the theater.

I had some trouble in Chapters 7, 17 and 18. In 7, a slight pause and then kicked back to the opening credits. When tried again the player jumped ahead about 30 seconds. Slight audio stutter for about 1 second during line delivery in 17. Chapter 18 acted like chapter 7, but didn't kick me back to the beginning. Slight pause and skip ahead in chapter 18 when TC is in the hotel lobby at the front desk and then again once TC confronts Leo Crow. At all points I had trouble, the player wouldn't FFW or REW properly.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Tino, have you calibrated your new set yet, especially for sharpness? If not, you're doing your own EE and making matters worse.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this flick a couple of times on a 92" screen and didn't notice any extrordinary EE. Perhaps you should make sure that all of the devices in your chain aren't doing sharpness processing (your DVD and/or your dispaly.)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I have my 38" 16:9 tube ISF calibrated with SVM turned off - and i see some pretty bad EE on this title still.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
Did you see a theatrical print? It's my understanding that the transfer is dead on. (I didn't see it in the theaters.)

I would have thought the same thing about A.I. had I not seen it in the theater.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...the DVD transfer was definitely dead on with the theatrical one. It's odd that we are seeing different levels of EE...on my 53" Panny, I saw very little.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well i definitely saw no EE in the theater...i see it on a lot of scenes on the dvd, BUT NOT on the whole thing. It's strange - one scene will have rather pronounced EE, and other scenes look rather clean.

BTW - the A.I. dvd didn't have any obtrusive EE, and that movie has the same sort of harsh visual scheme as Minority Report, so I don't think it's my tv.

I'm using a Panasonic RP91 in progressive mode.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
if this movie's EE bothered you, how do the major-EE movies make you feel? :P
discs like Tombstone SE, Phantom Menace, Pearl Harbor DC...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks