What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Minority Report" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
It seems the "think tank" is discussed in this piece, to what extent I don't know (just got my shipping confirmation this a.m.). Eric, have you watched this piece yet?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'm pretty sure it was non-anamporphic.

also, i'm pretty sure about there being no "think-tank" piece or even extensive reference. i was looking for it and was disappointed. Ron mentions it in his review, but doesn't mention it specifically in the supplements either.

could someone back me up on either/both?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Watched the movie and about 1/3 of the bonus stuff last night. Eric was 100% correct, the bonus features are non-anamorphic. As far as the think tank goes I guess there isn't a piece specifically about it, but it is talked about in several of the pieces.

The audio on this DVD is quite impressive. I listened to it a little below reference and it was plenty loud. There's a lot of good LFE in there.

Loved the look of the movie in the theater and it is beautiful on this DVD.

Now a little OT question I have; near the very end of the credits there is a credit that reads something like " "E.T." marks courtesy Universal Studios". Does anyone know if and where E.T. shows up in MR.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Well, I'm getting mine in a couple of days, but I'm not paying one red cent for it.

It's a birthday present from my sister-in-law, whom I convinced to buy a DVD player earlier this year. She's been been a widescreen fan for a long time, especially since that's the only way we watch movies at my house.

Is it my imagination, or has this been a decent year for Spielberg and guys named Tom?

David Paymer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Paymer
Well, I didn't get it for free like some lucky folks ( ;) ) but I picked up my copy during lunch today at The Wiz for 12.98. Looking forward to viewing it on the weekend.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I can't believe they have the gall to release a P&S version of this movie, come on! It must be horrid.

I picked up my WS version today. 1 of 5 at my Wal-Mart, the rest of the display was P&S probably 200 of them. Way to skew those sales figures!

Eric T

Second Unit
I just picked this one up at Circuit City. I had to look around a bit to find the WS version, as most of them had sold out and there were just a lot of fool screen copies there. I was further encouraged to see two or three other customers looking all over the place, conducting the same search that I was. I pointed them to the correct spot on the rack and they thanked me :)

Ian Ramos

Agent
I picked mine up at Walmart, they had an even amount of each. This one guy looked at me like I was an idiot picking up a WS copy. Of course, he was carrying a fool screen version. Not only that, but he cut in front of me as I was waiting at the register for the clerk to finish stocking.
Was too good in a mood to start an arguement at 10 in the morning :)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, Ron... you've convinced me-- I'll be renting this one at least. I heard that product placement was a bit over-the-top in this title... particularly Lexus... haven't seen it for myself, but can anyone verify?
The only product placement I had a hard time believing was the Beretta 9000S that John Anderton carried. This film is set 52 years from now. Why would a law enforcement officer from the new and prestigious Pre-Crime unit be carrying a gun that is over 50 years old?

I did, however, understand all the other placements.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Actually Ron, the packaging indicates a 2.39:1 framing, not 2.35:1. Which is notable because I have not seen that explicitly indicated on a DVD before, though that is the correct framing for the theatrical presentation of current anamorphic 35mm films. Technically, per SMPTE standards there is no 2.35:1 projection.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Exactly Scott, and I just noticed this too on the packaging. 2.35:1 simply doesn't EXIST unless it was a film made before 1971 and the previous SMPTE standards were implemented. I wish there was a feature on a DVD explaining this, as I simply cringe every time I hear someone say "This is presented in it's original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1". :angry:
Jason

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
MR was EX in the theaters and I'm understanding the DVD is EX/ES.
Most EX/ES mixes aren't marked accordingly so don't believe the packaging.
Troy

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
The film was shot in Super 35. Those so-called 'fool screen' purchasers are not going to be missing that much. Don't get me wrong, I'm OAR all the way, but the fact remains, they won't be missing that much of the picture.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Just picked this up at Best Buy, and noticed that 99% of the Widescreen copies didn't have the "Bonus CD-ROM" attached to the front (I managed to hunt down one that did), but every FS disc had it. Anyone else notice this? Is this disc a Best Buy exclusive deal? It's just a crummy little computer game, if you didn't get it you really aren't missing anything.

AdamM

Grip
Problem With DTS Sound? I just watched the movie with the DTS 5.1 track and it seems like the voices were digitized or skipping at times in the movie. I was so bad during the Eye clinic scene I switched to Dolby Digital. Did anyone else notice this? Is it a problem with my equipment?
I loved the film. I didn't see it in the theater so tonight was my first viewing. I thought it was great.:emoji_thumbsup:

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Anyone here with a front projection set-up? I just popped MR in to acertain the PQ (saw it in theaters) and while on the whole I think it is an excellent transfer that remains very faithful to the original image I saw in theaters, I'm dismayed to see that Edge Enhancement is present--from the very first chapter. It's not remotely close to the worst case of EE I've seen, and for those of us with smaller direct-view sets or even "regular-sized" RPTVs, it might not be a problem at all (don't go looking if you don't see it). Unfortunately, with my set-up, I'm seeing halos in the usual places--dark objects against lighter backgrounds. Picture size is 7.75 feet wide or around 107" diagonal. I know that DVD File, for example, did not catch any traces of EE present either, but I think the reviewer there wasn't using a front projector. Anyone else seeing this right now?

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Althought I think this DVD looks great, it does seem to be missing some film grain. I saw this in the theater and remember the grain being a bit heavier than what is on the DVD. Anyone else feel this way?

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'll agree Ryan. I rememeber it being much more noticable. I really liked the grain and thought it especially helped with the blending of the CG and real elements.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Eujin,
I've got a similar sized screen, and yes, EE is definitely visible ... as it is on almost every single disc I own. The amount seems about standard for today's transfers, in my opinion.

Concerning grain,
I didn't see the picture in theaters, but the downsampling to DVD resolution will invariably remove a certain amount of grain, it's unavoidable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks