What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Minority Report" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic review there Ron. Enjoyed this film immensely in theatres. Probably my pick for one of the best films of the year. Still waiting for my Amazon order to ship, hopefully it will arrive before XMAS.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Paul/Seth/Adam/Sam/et al, please hash out the plot holes in the "Official Minority Report Discussion" thread. You'll quickly see that this ground has been covered in great minutia in that thread.
Let's keep this specific thread about the DVD's content/quality, and not about the film content (lest we spoil the film for new viewers of it).
The most current plot hole discussion posts have been moved to this page. Please go there to continue on.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Great review Ron!! I am getting this one for sure. I am waiting until Christmas for it, just like BTTF. Sounds like a great set!!

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
If I could only buy one DVD this year, and Amelie was not ever made, this would be it :)
A truly awesome film that pays homage to the great classics.

NickWR

Auditioning
I loved the movie, but there is one thing that bothered me so much while watching the movie and maybe if somebody could explain it to me I could appreciate the movie a lot more:

How could it be possible that Anderton goes off to kill his victim by seeing the precog's vision? He goes off to kill his victim JUST BECAUSE he saw this vision, and would NOT have gone off to kill his victim if he HAD NOT seen the vision. Does anybody have a reasonable explanation for this gigantic plot hole?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The Best Film of 2002, so far, and one of Q4s Best DVDs.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw it twice in theater and still don't like the "eye doctor scenes"; just too gross for me. But really liked the movie and will get the dvd and hope that sequence has it's own chapter to skip! :)

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
this was probably my favorite movie of the year. CAn't wait to get this on DVD. THanks for the excellent review.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, Ron... you've convinced me-- I'll be renting this one at least. I heard that product placement was a bit over-the-top in this title... particularly Lexus... haven't seen it for myself, but can anyone verify?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I greatly enjoyed this sci-fi film when I saw it in the theater. I did, however, find the overly-grainy texture and high-contrast lighting to be distracting rather than complimentary to the subject matter. Sometimes "more" is always better.

Regardless, can't wait to pick this DVD up next Tuesday and see it again. This is definitely a movie where more than one viewing is necessary as it's a busy, busy plot.

Excellent review.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Does the "Minority Report" DVD have DTS-ES/DD-EX soundtracks or just DD/DTS? Thanks.
Got my hands on this flick last night. I was definitely getting sound out of the rear channels. I don't have the packaging in front of me so I'm not sure whether or not my reciever was interpolating the rear channel or if it was true EX/ES.

I purposely didn't see this movie in the theater because I prefer my HT, but even still it is obvious that the over-cranked film processing was intentional. I have to agree though, that the look is a little distracting. Speilberg did a similar treatment with AI (to a MUCH lesser degree) and it bothered me there as well. One thing it definitely does, though, is help integrate all the effects shots with the live action since they're both blown out with the same treatment. To me, neither of those stories (MR or AI) are "gritty" enough to justify the treatment.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the disc is 5.1's (no ex)
what i found weird was, all the docs on disc 2 were matted in 1.78:1, but non-anamoporhic, yet the menus were anamorphic :P
also, i don't think anybody mentions the whole 'think-tank' phase of the movie's creation (if someone did, it was just in passing). i'd have thought they could have devoted at least a 5 min. piece specifically on this (for those that don't know, Spielberg invited several future-thinkers and respected scientists for a weekend at a hotel to think up ideas of how the future would be like).
for the poster who asked, the grain of the movie is consistent to the very end.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
EricW is correct, the disc is not ex. I don't know if the packaging I have is correct (because it's not a true final release) but I actually looked at my reciever's status LED's and sure enough it was simulating the rear channel.

Was the movie "ex" in theaters? I've noticed that sometimes movies that are ex in theaters aren't given the official stamp on DVD, but the rear effects seem to be able to be extracted anyhow.

I watched the movie again and the extreme film processing distracted me less than the first time, but I still think the story would have been better served with a more straight-forward look.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
personally I'd hoped the movie instead of ending it the way it did, would be to end
to have them, at the conclusion of the murder/mysery aspect would have then panned out showing him still in the tube with that thing letting him think he'd done all that to solve the mystery, but in fact, it was the hallucination of the device they put on his head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks