What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Masters of Horror - Joe Dante's Homecoming (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
2_ _ [b]

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yep, that's the cover. I didn't know what the heck it was when I opened the box, until I looked at the back :)

On a funny side-note, the PR company shipped the screener in a package with an "I Voted!" sticker on it :D

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I picked this up yesterday. I haven't watched yet, but I was curious if anyone knows why they decided to stray from the uniform "Masters Of Horror" design for the cover. Even though the spine is done like the others - it says "Homecoming" (in the same font as on the cover) instead of Joe Dante.

DVDEmpire.com shows the original artwork on their page, done like the othere entries in the series.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmmm, that's interesting...I hadn't seen the original artwork. I think most of the directors' portraits look like crap, but I like continuity in the packaging. At least the spine are the same.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Almost...It says "Homecoming" (in the stencil font) instead of Joe Dante.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I have the MOH releases in alphabetical order by director's last name. It looks awful having the Joe Dante disc that says "Homecoming" in the stencil font (instead of "Joe Dante" in the same font as the other MOH releases). It breaks continuity of the "Masters Of Horror" series on my (and sure many others) shelf.

I was thinking that perhaps, since Homecoming received a lot of press, Anchor Bay decided that it might get more attention if they de-emphasised the fact that it's part of the "Masters Of Horror" series and rely on it's buzz to generate sales. Or, since July 4th was just last week - maybe they wanted to use it's "patriotic" imagery to go along with this time of year. Whatever the reason, I disagree with the decision. I also think the original artwork looked much classier...

SeanC

Agent

I completely agree with you! I liked the old look so much better, this just looks like a cheap Photoshop job to me. I'm dissapointed that Anchor Bay decided to change it. It's going to mess up my collection too! I get that the feeling that the change has something to do with sales and trying to sell more copies.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
Wow I hate that coverart. Anchor Bay obviously spent time and designed a box that looked like the rest of the series as seen in the DVDEmpire link. I just wish that they would have used it. I have no intrest in this title now. Bad episode and bad art.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I just finished watching Joe Dante's Homecoming and I absolutely loved it. It had a very powerful message and said a lot about the current situation with the war in the middle east and the republican-controled government here at home. I don't understand why this was received so poorly by so many. This is without a doubt the best MOH episode I've seen so far (I missed it on Showtime, so I've only seen the 7 films that have currently been released on DVD).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK, there is a war and there is a government. But let's not proceed the discussions along this line, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks