What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Korban, there's something strange going on with this disc and/or my decoder. I threw the disc in just now and I can't get it to stay in ES Matrix mode. It starts out there, but if I change anything on my setup or go back to the disc menu, it won't go back into ES matrix.

I'm pretty sure I listened to this in ES Matrix, just about positive, but it was ~3 weeks ago and my memory isn't what it used to be... Somebody else will have to give you more certain info, I'll play with this again after work.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Sorry, I haven't had any better luck since this morning. Since I certainly didn't fool around with this disc for more than a few minutes when first watching it, to see whether I'd go DD or dts, I can only presume that like first thing this morning it stayed in the originally detected "DTS ES MATRIX" mode.

There are some other comments on this in the thread. Some decoders detected the ES matrix, some didn't. Mine usually does...as I got the disc somewhat early, I wouldn't have even suspected ES (from the packaging) if the decoder hadn't said so.

[FWIW, my decoder can be picky about what it selects, I call them bugs, the manufacturer doesn't...like, if the last thing you watched was DD 5.1, it remembers you only had 5.1 speakers working, so it won't automatically select any 6.1 mode next time because that requires 6.1 speakers, but you didn't have that many set up for use last time...doh! So I always have to make sure I tell it I have 7.1 speakers working before I throw in any "unknown" disc that might be EX or ES.]

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

When I saw this movie in the theatre (twice) there were many many scenes that ranged from slightly soft, to downright grainy. Most of these were fog scenes, and the DVD is no different. I don't think it's the transfer.

My thoughts on the soundtrack

My system does not detect DD EX or DTS ES for this disc. Unless it really is improperly flagged, these are 5.1 tracks only. Oddly, on my system if I press the "enhanced surround" button while the DD track is playing it decodes it as DD EX. However if I do the same when the DTS track plays, the DTS ES light does not come on, instead the regular DTS light stays and the Neo 6 lights come on as well. I do not know if this is simply how my reciever handles DTS matrix mode as all the DTS discs I have ever played have been discrete, or 5.1 only.

That confusion aside, I could not care less that this is not a discrete 6.1 track, as it simply doesn't matter. It is quite simply the BEST SOUNTRACK I HAVE EVER HEARD. Period. Lord of the Rings was great. This beats it by a mile. When I saw this movie in the theatre, the very first thing I noticed was how awesome the sound was, from the opening seen in the cabin with creeking boards and doors slamming, and footsteps. Incredible. IT NEVER STOPS. I knew that this was a movie I had to have on DVD, and I am not disapointed. I played it for my mother who normally complains that my theatre is too loud, but this time she was too caught up in the magic....And my system is really modest, a 6.1 array Yamaha Sub-Sat combo, and still it sounds better than it did at my local megaplex, and it sounded damn good there.

GET THIS DVD.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Agreed Jonathan. I still see threads with people listing the dts Saving Private Ryan as the best for surrounds and bass, this has that beat.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I have never been a Peter Weir fan.

I get tired of seeing Russell Crowe.

I picked up the movie because my husband wanted to watch it.

I am now a convert.

Russell Crowe is Aubrey. Paul Bettany is Maturin.

I am on my fourth book in the series. I plan to read them all.

- kim

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Kim,

Read on. My wife is an addict too, and read the whole series (21 books) twice already.

We happened to be in the US (Key West) when we saw the film announced. Couldn't see it then (last November), because it opened the day we left for home.

But she loved the film too (so did I and our son) and I'm waiting for the DVD. (Ordered it in time, but it got lost somewhere in the post and the reshipment will arrive this week.)

From the books, my wife likes the character of Maturin best, and she says the story lines are even so much richer than in the film, that she can read the series every now and then again without getting bored in the least.

Cees

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Cees

I watched the DVD, read the first book and then rewatched the DVD. I enjoyed the movie even more the second time because I had a better understanding of the big picture.

I already look forward to reading the books a second time.

Me, I have a soft spot for Killick.

- kim

George G

Auditioning
I almost feel like a criminal buying this 2-disc CE from Hollywood Video's PVD rack for $6 and change. Almost.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Watched this today with some buddies and want to re-iterate what a truly outstanding dvd this is. Of course the movie was great. Deserving of Best Picture too. The images were breathtaking and the audio. Wow! The dts mix is the best dts mix I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks