What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
May 20th is a Thursday, i'm sure it is just a typo. I haven't heard any news to state it is moving from April 20th.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I think I may make this one of very few blind purchases I make. I've heard excellent things about M&C and by your review, sounds first-rate. I also love getting my hands on any extras pertaining to sound design.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is that Weir, Crowe and Bettany hit a home with this movie. It really captures the essence of the Aubrey/Maturin series, with the exception of Maturin's alter-ego as a Naval Intellegence officer. I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

As for the books, I recommend them as well. I started reading the series last summer in anticipation of the film. I'm currently on book 14, the aforementioned "Nutmeg of Consolation", and it, like the whole series, is a great read.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Looks like a must buy for me. Like Adam, I too dislike Russel Crowe at times, but his movies are great. I love Beautiful Mind, Gladitor...and Quick to Dead! And this movie falls into one of my old loves...exploration from the middle ages. :D Thanks for the great review, Adam. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Excellent review. Master and Commander was one of the best sounding films I have ever heard in a theater (and should have won the Academy Award), so I'm pleased that this DVD will give a good representation of it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
You gonna' hang out with the guy or watch his movies?;)

The D-Theater version should use the same superb transfer, so I'm looking forward to it.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I still haven't seen this, but I can't wait to my copy. As always Adam your reviews take forever to read, but are full of great info.

Cheers.

lakshmant

Agent
please see how they made the sound mix for this film
very interesting article
mixonline.com/ar/audio_master_commander_far/index.htm

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that the single disc version would be full screen only.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

this is my bad. Actually, I started the review with April 20th, but then I saw the banner for it on Hometheaterforum homepage having it as May 20th. So then I changed it. I should've checked Amazon.com.... DUH! Thanx Ron.

Guess I should've trused the Fox date that came with it. I think I changed it since "In America" release date is May 11th, and it made more sense for it to me May 20th since I got them both 1 day apart.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

Please do not take my screen shots as how the presentation looks exact. I switched to a brand new computer, and the screen shots look like crap compared to how it actaully looks at my calibrated Sony Wega.

I cant use the 128MB video card hardware to its fullest, because it has a TV out, and with it hardware enabled, the copywrited DVD's will not play. Therefore, no super accurate screen shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks