What's new

HTF REVIEW: LOST - the complete first season - ADDICTIVELY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fair enough - though the fact that you found every character boring undermines your stance.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Of course I didn't find every character entirely boring, nor did I say so. "I find the characters boring" is a pretty straightforward assessment of all the characters' appeal as a group.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

It's almost midnight and I've been packing all day for my trip and haven't had a chance to wade through the bonus features yet...

:frowning:

But when the disc streets post your own impressions here! Then when I get back I'll do the same and update the review. Be back in a week!

:)

Agreed. That would be my primary criticism of the show. Not a deal-breaker, but I hope that writers learn to let-up on the need to contrive constant strife and misunderstanding between the characters...after a while it causes the viewer to stop taking the conflicts seriously.

Still a great show faults and all...but that would be one area I could see improved.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I picked this up at BB earlier today and the set is certainly deserving of the rave reviews it has thus far received. It looks and sounds fabulous!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I do have a gripe, though. Way back when (last March) when TVShowsOnDVD posted the official Touchstone press release announcing the first season DVD, the release played up the fact that this set: Unless I am missing something, I do not see it indicated anywhere on the packaging. Can someone confirm that this feature was dropped, and if so, why?

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Its probably because its not much different from the finished product. Theres only like 3 scenes cut with some things in the crash sequence edited differently and the sound FX for the monster is different, plus temp music instead of Giacchino's score.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I've never seen the show and I'm still undecided whether it's worth a "blind buy" or not, but I found it humorous that no less than 3 people bitched about this being "Widescreen" while I was at Best Buy today and demanded to know where the Fullscreen version was.

After the last person walked away from the clerk (leaving 'Lost' behind because it was Widescreen), I told the girl - things would be much easier if they just stopped making Fullscreen releases, period. She agreed and said that she sick of hearing people complain about it.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure whether to get this set or not. I've only seen one episode. However, if I get it through Netflix, I will never catch up in time for season two.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Check out the first one or two disks via Netflix and if you like it, you can buy the rest of the set. That's probably what I'll do.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Finished the first episode - the picture and sound are great! Especially during the engine and wing collapse sequences.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I read today that they are going to make a movie with all the cast. It's interesting. The final episode will be a blockbuster movie instead of a TV episode.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
The question is whether to buy this set now, or wait for the blue-ray/HD-DVD/whatever the next DVD format is release?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Why? By the time that happens the show will have finished its 5 or 7 year run.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm Netflixing this to watch it again. I enjoyed the first half of the show immensely probably because I had them all taped and had a marathon. Waiting for new episodes kinda seemed long and a lot of the time, they seemed a bit disappinting. I guess it largely depends on how much you like each character since each episode has a different focus. I personally didn't care much for Boone & Shannon, Sawyer (though there was some intrigue), and Kate (except for her first central episode).

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I got disc 6 today from netflix. I'm currently DVR'ing episode 20 on ABC in HD. I'll have a nice marathon this weekend. I couldn't wait, plus ABC was skipping too much. Anyway, I popped in the disc and watched the previously on for Born to Run, and wow the video quality was DAMN good. I can't believe it's this good and they still got approx 5hrs of video on one disc.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
But won't you still miss episodes 18 and 19?

I was on a Lost board and saw this.

"
I found an Easter Egg in the Deleted Scenes section. On the first page, if you scroll the dot down to the last scene and then go left a few times the dot will appear floating at the left of the screen. If you select it you'll see a scene similar to the deleted one with Charlie and Shannon after the mountain climb when they talk about Drive Shaft, but this time they're talking about LOTR. It's hilarious! "

I had heard about the Lost credits and orange smile easter egg but not this one.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I was up until 2am last night trying to get through Disc 2 - only made it through "The Moth" though. The shows really cool, I love the atmosphere, though I'm surprised they didn't lose alot of audience on the TV run when they started having episodes that were mainly ONLY character and far less "weirdness and mystery" (like "The Moth").

My only grip is the spindle holding the last disc (the extras) has two broken pieces on mine, so the disc doesn't generally stay on the spindle very well. I'm not sure if Best Buy would take a return over such an issue though, and not sure if it's worth the trouble to return it anyway, seeing as how with my luck I'd get a replacement with two broken spindles.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really really annoyed at how Best Buy has marketed this. First they tempt pre-orders with a $10 coupon. Now that it's on its way already, they're offering a bonus DVD which my package may or may not come with. AND they're offering $5 off. If I don't get the bonus DVD then I will feel totally taken advantage of, and I will send a nasty letter and never buy a DVD from Best Buy again.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Unfortunately, I think the company line has pretty much always been that BestBuy.com is run independently of the B&M store. Best Buy is certainly not unique in that approach either, but it can make for a confusing shopping experience. Many other stores routinely have "web only" sales or specials. It seems like the Best Buy B&M does a better job of price matching the web offer than the other way around, though. Don't forget that your BestBuy.com order can be returned to any BB B&M for a refund or replacement if it is not what you thought you ordered... unless, of course, there is no BB close to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks