What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ron, this one I KNEW I want to wait for the big production (rather than getting the current set).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I believe that this is properly called the special extended edition, as Peter jackson said in the supplements on the 2 discer he hates the term directors cut, as it implies that the original theatrical release was not his intended version.
The reviews for this disc are starting to make me mad, because it is several weeks before I can actually get my mitts on a copy. :) The reviews are torture!

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Wow! Fantastic review and much appreciated.
November 12th will be a day long remembered. :D

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I had been trying to decide if I should purchase this in addition to august release. you review sealed the deal. Excellent review, thanks Ron.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A couple questions answered....

If there was one thing disappointing about this review was that there's no picture of the packaging!! Where are all the fold-outs and everything? I'm really interested to see how this is packaged, and though Ron never promised images, it's almost a given that he'll take shots of the sets with any type of elaborate packaging.
New Line did not send out complete sets to at
least this reviewer. I received test discs.
Therefor, I could not take pictures of the final
packaging.

I can't compare this to the original DVD release
because I never bought it, anticipating this release.

Why no HIGHLY RECOMMENDED? Easy question to answer.
I could not fit the words in the subject line.
However, if you looked at the ANNOUNCEMENT box, you
would have seen that those words were attached to
the link since the review was posted.

I also did not add an abundant amount of added
footage screenshots because some of you indicated
that you wanted the viewing to be a fresh experience.
No need to spoil the whole film. Trust me, the shots
above are some of the most important additions.

Now...

You guys must not have been looking carefully
enough cause there are a few minor mistakes in the
review that I have corrected this morning. Steve
Simon got an email to me this morning and pointed
out a few errors -- all having to do with location
names (Mordor should have been Mines of Mordor).

As I stated, so much of this was done from memory
as more than a few months have gone by since I last
saw the film.

In any event, I really appreciate the warm feedback.
It makes the time I spent on this review well worth
it.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ron, I had to skim the review due to the inclusion of all the screenshots, but what I got to read before they appeared (hey, I am greatful of 56k for once! :D ) was great.
One thing, this isn't a directors cut, Peter Jackson has stressed this many times. It's simply dubbed 'Extended DVD Edition' or 'Extended Edition'. You may wish to amend that in the thread title.
Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks Ron for this superb review, took me a long time to read everything. I am glad I waited for this instead. With both DVDs of Spider-Man and Attack of the Clones coming out very soon, so much to see and watch.
The supplements are awesome and look really forward to this one.
One thing though where is the casting video of E Wood as Frodo which prompted PJ to cast him on the spot.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Makes me wish I could be a reviewer getting discs early and knowing that I am one of a few who can say I saw it early. We all envy you, Ron

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

One DVD [boxed set] to Rule them All
One DVD [boxed set] to find them
One DVD [boxed set] to bring them all
And in the darkness [of home theaters] bind them
Is there such a thing as a DVD Wraith?
:)
Mark

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to be a pain, but can someone confirm that the R1 LOTR has burned in subtitles for the Elvish dialogue and the "The Shire 60 years later" caption at the start. The R2 has player generated subs which, as usual, look awful.

I did try a search for this topic, but was presented with about 500 pages to look through...forgive my lack of stamina.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Simon,
I think it would be safe to assume the R1 will have the burnt in subtitles. The 2 disc version did, and yes the player generated subs look like crap.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well.., anyone want to buy LOTR, to help finance my copy of FOTR. I should have waited, I should have waited.:b

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ron,

As usual, wonderful review. Your writing makes me anticipate releases even more. The 1st two weeks of November are going to be the best yet for me (Spider-Man, Band of Brothers, FOTR, and Clones). I cannot wait to load this DVD set into my DVD Changer.

-Dean-

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wow, excellent review Ron. :emoji_thumbsup: I feel better after having pulled the trigger on both the 2 disc and 4 disc sets.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I've sifted through an almost incalculable number of DVD reviews since those shiny 5" discs first caught my attention, and I can say with absolute certainty that this is the most comprehensive review I've ever read of a DVD release. Phenomenal work, Ron, and it's greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks