What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes - Golden Collection Volume Two (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

You're right on the money. The earlier WB Cartoons are certainly funnier than Disney's, but they were still trying to emulate the Disney style, and hadn't found their distinctive voice.

Avery began the change, and his influence, along with the development of Porky Pig began the entree to what eventually would have been WB's 'golden age'. From the mid-'30s on the cartoons just keep getting better and better. More creative and audacious, and any vestige of "cutsey" was gone by the end of the decade.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

"Well, now, I wouldn't say that..."

Even though the 5 cartoons are flagged wrong, they're brand new transfers. The old masters for the pre-1948 cartoons were ugly and desaturated. All of the cartoons have the same "look" to them... all of them have the visible cel dust, the level of detail, and colors that were invisible in the old versions.

Here's a few other comparisons:

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
This set was a bit of a gamble for me. I am a big fan of animation, but hadn't really thought much of the Looney Tunes given that I'd seen them constantly since i was little.
I found the set for about $10 cheaper than BB, and i figured I'd take the plunge (as this had the Hollywood cartoons and The Dover Boys). What a great set! :)
And just to add some perspective. I think one of the strong points of having a varied selection of cartoons is that now I'm willing to give some of the other characters a chance. I didn't think much of Tweety and Sylvester, but given the new light that these discs shed on the process (and being that the cartoons are uncut), i can enjoy all the Looney Tunes. Well worth the money!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I agree. This set has a lot of really good cartoons directed by him and while Clampett is still my favorite director, I do generally prefer Friz's cartoons over Jones's. Did he not get a Behind the Tunes feature on the first set? If not, I'm sure he'll get one on the next set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks