What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes 4 Disc Golden Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
You know it occurs to me, that I said Tuesday can't get here soon enough and that sentament has been echoed by others. It also just occurred to me that because I have to set my clock back an hour for daylight savings time this weekend, it will be an hour longer wait than normal. I've never wanted to spring forward more than I would rather do that right now.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've been interested in these for a while, but as the date gets closer and I read reviews like this, I am getting PSYCHED!!!!

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Mine arrived several short hours ago!! I've watched the whole first disc and I'm in heaven. There's only a single 'toon on disc 1 that I could do without (One I don't recall having seen before with a baby rabbit) unlike the collections of old, where you'd get two good ones for every three so-so ones.

What a lovely weekend it'll be. :)

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that the Premiere Collection is included in the Golden Collection, but what about the other two releases (Looney Tunes: Reality Check and Looney Tunes:Stranger than Fiction) released on the same day?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 2-disc collection is in the Gold Collection only in terms of content. The two discs in the Gold Collection have tons of extra features while the 2-disc Premiere Collection has a ROM game and a trailer for the Looney Tunes movie.

The two webtoon DVD's are only single-disc purchases. They're not included in either the 2-disc or 4-disc collections.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Nice review.

As mentioned in another thread, I have well over 300 of Looney Tunes on laserdisc (including the "What's Opera Doc" that one poster mentioned). Judging by the review, this collection will be a great addition to my library as there are several on this disc I do not have. This, plus the restoration plus the extras makes it a no brainer for me.

Next week is going to be an expensive week between DVDs and Xbox games.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I thought I couldn't be more excited for this 4-disc set...until I stopped in to read Herb's excellent review.

I expected a handful of worthwhile extras, but wow! I cannot wait to get my fingers on these discs!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
About the webtoons:

I've seen a few of them...and they're OK, but I doubt they're worth buying. The UK Looney Tunes site apparently has the webtoons on the site for free.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks Herb for that very comprehensive review. Your effort is certainly appreciated and I look forward to more great reviews from you. This current set looks sounds really great and I hope Warner Brothers keeps putting it out.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I am so dumb - I didn't know this was coming out! :b

How did that happen?

WHO CARES! GIMME, GIMME, GIMME! These animated shorts are part of the very cultural fabric, as essential as comfortable footwear. To this simpleton, they are Art. Godlike artefacts of once-in-a-lifetime genius that cry with unabashed glee: "AIN'T LIFE CRAZY?! LET'S GET CRAZY AND LAUGH OUR ASSES OFF!"

And why not?

Great review, Herb. Quintessential DVD analysis. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review Herb.

I was on the fence about this (primarily for financial reasons), but, oh well, what's another 40 bucks :rolleyes

I'll be picking this up, but I only wonder though, if this is a success, how are the shorts being organized for future releases? Is their some sort of chronological/season line of reasoning for having them pick the episodes that they do?

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Just wondering....

How does this set compare with the overall 4 box laser collection?

I know that each laser box contained 4 or 5 discs and each box had close to 70 toons per box....

It will be interesting to see if there is any editing on these also...

Looking forward to getting my hands on this set...

Dugger

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I just preorder mine last night on Amazon.com it only 45 bux, I also order Chuck Jones - Extremes and In-Betweens, a Life in Animation. I'm going have to wait a while before I can actually watch either because it from my grandma for my birthday which is Dec. 9th:frowning:

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Actually, it was 5 LD box sets and it will be fun to see if they are indeed "fully restored!"
Got my set yesterday. (Thank you, God)

It's a knockout!

It took the whole day and night to get through all the cartoons and all the extras (and I still haven't heard ALL the commentaries).

To answer the questions above:

a)These transfers truly blow all previous LD incarnations away by a long shot. Each cartoon has been beautifully restored.

There has been no monkey-ing (a la Disney) around with the image. There were proper film restorations done from the original successive exposure masters, and it shows. These cartoons have never looked this great. Of course there's occasional film grain and cel-dust, just the way they were filmed, only sharper than ever. The colors burst off the screen. Truly amazing. Truly gorgeous. Truly hilarious!

b) Yes, every cartoon is complete and uncut. Hallelujah!

A magnificent achievement.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It will be interesting to see if there is any editing on these also...
Chris,

If what I heard is correct, none of these shorts
have been edited to make them "politically correct."

If this is true, I applaud Warner Brothers for
making the right choice.

None of these cartoons should be edited. There
is a lot of history in these Toons that should not
be censored for fear of offending someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks