What's new

HTF REVIEW: License To Drive - Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hi Guys

You are right - I made an error in my review. The aspect ratio is 1.85:1 rather than 2.35:1 as I indicated. I missed that error completely.

I apologize for any confusion I may have created.

The disc may be available in some places. The original press release mentioned April 19 as street date. I wrote May 3 to reflect the Anchor Bay website...as I imagine that would be more up to date...

Mike

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I picked up a copy today at a mart that will remain k less. :) The lady in the video dept said it was a new release. I also picked up Bye Bye Love for the wife. I am glad that Fox is letting Anchor Bay release some of their titles. Otherwise it could be a while before Fox would get around to releasing these themselves.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Mike, sorry for taking long to answer . I currently dont have internet access , i go once a week to a friends for my internet needs . Im far away from Kastoria, im on a small place called Chios, its a half hour plane trip from Athens.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Watched this one with my roommate the day before yesterday. He had never seen it, but wound up loving it. A decent DVD, for sure and a funny film.

...and I had just gotten that damn Billy Ocean song out of my head, too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up for nostalgia and was expecting the worst but ended thinking it was OK. It's still a fun 80's movie. Not brilliant filmmaking but I never thought it was:)

I was pleasntly surprised by the 'alternate sequence' that they cut out of the movie. Good thing they cut it because Corey Haim trying to be a badass didn't really work.

Nate, I have been humming that song for nearly a week now too:)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Must say thank you to Anchor Bay for doing a job well-done on this release. Especially thank you for the insert/booklet, I wasn't even expecting one.

I love this movie and have been waiting for it for a while. Now the only movies left on my, Not Available on DVD Yet list are Yellowbeard and Robin Hood Men in Tights (Region 1 of course).

Anyway, I actually was disappointed with this transfer...I thought the film quality was a bit grainy/washed out and even though it was widescreen 1.85:1, it seemed like the sides and sometimes the top was cut off (reminiscent of the Back to the Future DVDs before the rerelease).

Also there was a lot of "jitter" (what's the film term when the film doesn't stay perfectly still in the center of the screen?)

I'm curious to find out if the original film was actually 2.35:1 and things got cut to fit 1.85:1? I'm also curious to find if anyone else agrees there might have been a matting problem sometimes to the left and to the top like in the Back to the Future DVDs.

I also could've sworn there were two lines that didn't show up in the DVD that were on the original (I have the LaserDisc, so I'll have to pull it out and check it).

Just curious what others have thought.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Well Scott, I am sure heather graham would rather forget being in this film IMHO, since she has worked with more "prestige" actors than the two Cory's. LOL

Brian-W

Screenwriter

This movie (IMO) was never 2:35:1 and if anything, was matted after filming to get the framing. Any of you that have the laserdisc (or video tape), the scene where Feldman "rides" Haim home on his bike is a giveaway. On the DVD, it looks convincing. On other versions (the "pan and scan" open matte versions), you can clearly see the trailer/dolly the bike is riding on top of (ruining the gag).

Also, something else struck me as odd yesterday. A couple of scenes have had the music switched. I forgot which other scene had the music changed. But the scene where he picks Heather up for the date, it's playing "Trouble" (can't remember the group). The original movie it was playing "New Sensation - INXS". I verified it with my laserdisc last night.

Anyway, that's all I have to add.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I think the laserdisk wa the one with changed music, I never rember that song during that scene, veen when i saw it on TV

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I saw it on TV (FMC) about six months ago (showing in 1:66:1) and it also had the INXS song.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I bought it finally.

One of the TV spots has what the public had to say back when it came out.

LOL.. the 80s were a crazy looking time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks