What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Legally Blonde" Hands down must buy! (1 Viewer)

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Sun wrote:
I thought the film was okay, but I thought Reese's facial cheeks were going to explode from smiling so much.
Good thing you mentioned they were her "facial cheeks"!
wink.gif

Vanessa

Jodee

Screenwriter
Forget renting Election, and just buy it already! :)
It is a great movie, and is definitely a repeat-viewing flick.
I too enjoyed Legally Blonde and found it very refreshing in a summer filled with mega-budget action schlock.
But it is no where near as good as Election which is an extremely intelligent, cleverly biting comedy.
Also the DVD has a very good commentary track by director Alexander Payne.
Now if only Buena Vista would get around to releasing Payne's first effort, the satiric Citizen Ruth.

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
[Reese Witherspoon] ... is one of the most startling
new pieces of Hollywood talent to appear in years.

Funny, that's not the word I was thinking of ...
:)

MichaelG

Second Unit
Matt, after hanging out with some pro hockey players a few years ago, talent is the correct word. I can't tell you how many times I heard "hows the talent?" from these Canadian guys.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, I highly recommend you see The Man in the Moon which was Reese Witherspoon's first film. It is directed by Robert Mulligan (To Kill a Mockingbird, Summer of '42) and looks like something from about 30 years before it's 1991 date. I swear it looks like Technicolor, though I'm pretty sure that wasn't available in 1991. It is fairly predictable, and a major "chick flick" but has become one of my favorites. You can get it pretty much anywhere for $10 so I think it is easily worth a buy. I bought it sight unseen. Reese Witherspoon is just outstanding!
I also second Cruel Intentions as a prime guilty pleasure. Besides, any movie with Sarah Michelle Gellar saying "I Wanna Fuck!" is top notch to me.
[Edited last by JohnRice on October 23, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Like Ron I don't see that many films this summer, but Legally Blonde was really enjoyable. Not only is Reese cute, but it is scary at how effortless her performance is. The concept is hokey, but I find most movie plots pretty lame, so I had no problem here. I have always enjoyed Alicia Silverspoon in Clueless and I was making mental comparision during the film, but Reese is even more effective in her role.
Meet the Parents was dull and boring to watch. Adam Sandler should have had the part. Rush Hour 2 was mainly annoying. Legally Blonde was hot too hot, not too cold but...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks MGM for a fine disc. Although I don't see the need for P&S thanks for at least using a dual layer for the movie and single for the extras.
... and Angel Eyes ain't that bad. They throw the whole kitchen sink in for fun just to see how quick they can get guys to start bawling. Spoiler:What, you accidently killed your family?, you lost your memory?, you lost your passion for life?, and you can't even get yourself to fall for Jennifer Lopez? It's just too sad. http://www.growthspurts.com/image.as...6929110577.gif

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I have always enjoyed Alicia Silverspoon
Silverspoon?
laugh.gif
It's only funny because I find myself doing the same thing (mixing names up) all the time...
I just bought Legally Blonde for my wife for Christmas based solely on this review. She's big into comedies and should enjoy this. Only problem is, I want to see it too, and have been tempted to give it to her early just so I can watch it... :)
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Craig W

Second Unit
Just rented Legally Blonde last night. My wife and I enjoyed it, but we both agreed it was not worthy of owning. Although it was a cute comedy, it is not in the same league as some other worthy comedies.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
My wife and I gave this a rent on Friday night and we both loved it. My wife added it to her Christmas list.
Ron's review was spot on. And I know for a fact I have read revews of DVDs that Ron hates. He is no studio "kiss-ass". The only ass from a studio that should be kissed is Peter Staddon, but that is only because he is a Saint when it comes to DVD.
biggrin.gif

-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on November 11, 2001 at 08:16 AM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Has anybody heard the commentary yet from the director?
I heard he sounds kind of 'preverted'.
Someone says he just says "Oh Reese you look really good here!" and "Reese you look really good in that bathing suit"
------------------

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Just watched Legally Blonde last night with my wife & 19 daughter. We all enjoyed this movie very much. Reese is a treat & as you said a breath of fresh air. I liked two of her earlier films Pleasantville & Election, so I didn't hesitate buying LB. Recommended to anyone, really!

David Judah

Screenwriter
When my wife and I are watching a rented disc that we both consider a good, fun movie she often says, "We have to buy this one."
I shrug it off because we hardly ever do buy them, but with this one she went out and bought it herself the next day.
It's a light-hearted, enjoyable flick. I share Ron's enthusiasm for this film and DVD release.
DJ

RogerB

Second Unit
Definitely a rental. Had a made-for-TV feel. Cute and funny, yes, but once is enough.
------------------
Link Removed

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
It's amusing to read such a glowing review after I passed on this film during a Vegas to N.Y. flight. Everyone else in the family watched it and all of them were surprised at how much better it was from what they expected.

It's still pretty hard to convince me that I was better off buying the headphones instead of those cocktails....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just goes to show that you can't judge a movie by its trailer. Based on the strength of Ron's review and everyone else's comments here, I rented LB and enjoyed it very much! I remember seeing the trailer for it in the theater and thinking it looked AWFUL! It's amazing how misleading a trailer can be (to either make a good movie look bad...or a bad movie look good!) ;)
Gotta agree LB was carried on Reese's performance.
Won't buy, but awfullly glad I rented--as was my family.
Now I gotta start looking for this Election flick everyone is recommending! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks