What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" w/ tons of screenshots! HR! (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Lest we forget that "The Haunting" sucked as a film, but many people (including myself) bought it for the earthshaking DTS LFE soundtrack?

I wanted to see LXG in the theater but never got around to it. From everything I've read about it the movie sounds like one of those that the critics hate but I'll like a lot. If I'd read that the transfer was crap and the sound was lacking, it'd be a rental only. Knowing the pq and sound are great means it's a purchase.
Steve,

Well said...I feel the same way.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I just saw this at the dollar movie theatre last night. It was just awful. A boring, boring movie that completely betrayed it's brilliant source material. What a clunker.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Umm...NO! You put on bad movies with great sound and picture and watch VERY specific scenes as Adam pointed out in his review...the exact spots to hear the kick ass BASS! That's why I'll pick this disk up, sight unseen!
Well, at least Dennis understands me..... perfectly. :)

RobD

Second Unit
Saw this one last night. A decent transfer and the bass was indeed good, very wieghty but without the boominess of films like Matrix Reloaded.

I thought the film was a silly but good fun.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Recommend a sub-par movie for it's great LFE? I heard Gigli had a great DTS track so off to Best Buy I go!

:thumbsdown:

Pete

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

I appreciate your honest review and I totally get where you're coming from. Occasionally, a DVD excites me for a particular reason (like Lion King did with picture for me) and you just got to share it. If the sound was truly that good in your experience of the DVD then you've got the right to present the review the way you want to. You qualified exactly where you were coming from, didn't trick anyone into buying the DVD and were completely up-front about how bad the actual movie was. If you're *still* that enthusiastic over all about the DVD then IMO that really does say something about just how good the sound must be--and go ahead and give it 6/5 stars...it's your review!

dave :)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Recommend a sub-par movie for it's great LFE? I heard Gigli had a great DTS track so off to Best Buy I go!
I guess some people just don't get it.

I have a wicked system, see? I have people come over all the time for demo's, see? I am ALWAYS on the look out for great demo material, see?

I am no Roger Ebert. He has allready let you know that the movie stinks. I am a DVD reviewer. I am not recommending the movie, I am recommending the DVD, see?

If you guys don't have a stupendous system, and you didn't care for and/or hated LXG, then I don't recommend the DVD. I have allready stated this over and over.... or at least I thought I did.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the movie. Maybe, since I wasn't expecting anything great since most people have panned it. I think the concept of getting all of the literary heroes(& villians) together was very original and cool. I know they have made big changes & additions from the comic. Which, I didn't mind. The story needed changes. I have heard they are doing a sequel. With everyone recast except Peta Wilson. Which I don't understand. Seeing that the only person who they would have a problem hiring again would be Connery. And from what I read it was the director he had a problem with.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I quite enjoyed this :) It's not a great film, mainly to do with the lack of character development and fuller story; but nevertheless found it very entertaining.

I would've showed a little history for each of the characters when each of'em are introduced onto the screen

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I rented this the other night. Terrible movie. I did like the characters, but the script and story were just awful.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It's not a great film, mainly to do with the lack of character development and fuller story; but nevertheless found it very entertaining.
My feelings exactly. It isn't an undying masterpiece, and it has more than a few things in it that don't work very well, but it was still good fun. Just seeing all of these literary characters together was a treat. The only two missing were Sherlock Holmes and Baron Frankenstein.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Rented this also.I wouldn't recommend this for blind purchase for any reason,including sound.There are many better ones out there already.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i watched this movie for the first time on DVD last night and enjoyed it. maybe it because everybody's been crapping over it since it came out, and i was expecting Batman and Robin. but i was pleaseantly surprised. in terms of movies with stupid stories (which this is), it's still much, much, much better than other movies with stupid stories (like say S.W.A.T.).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
EricW,

I agree. I watched this yesterday expecting complete crap and was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's not the best film, but it's not even close to being the worst I've seen. It thought it was a fun and entertaining 2-hour "escape".

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this DVD last night and watched it. I gotta admit I enjoyed the movie. It's not an Oscar worthy type film but I found it to be very enjoyable and what I expected from it. The subtle thunder was very nice during the movie.

Sten F

Second Unit
I haven´t seen LXG... yet. But I saw The Core and Dreamcatcher. Those two movies were awful and must rank among the worst movies of 2003. Surely, LXG can´t be as bad as the two mentioned movies.

I guess, it all comes down to ones expectations. But judging from peoples opnions my expectations to LXG are low. So when I finally get around to watch LXG, maybe I´ll be fairly entertained anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks