What's new

HTF REVIEW: Kung Fu - The Complete First Season. (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

I thought so too. Does anyone remember the ferocity and unity of purpose with which the Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory battle was fought on here, without a single person having seen the non-widescreen version? It seems that many no longer really care. How unfortunate.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It is very likely a Kubrick situation, where someone connected with the show specified widescreen. This site is pro-OAR, to the point where advocating a non-OAR release is actively frowned-upon by the mods, but it's different when a creator makes the call.

If it was the WB policy to release older TV shows in widescreen to appeal to people with 16x9 sets, why is this the only example thus far? Wonder Woman, The Dukes of Hazzard, Gilligan's Island, etc. are 4x3.

Perhaps you are correct that some are giving up the fight, since many who bought the set never speculated that it might have been a creative decision and in reality bought the sets not caring that it might have been MARed. But, I believe when and if WB gets back to Randy, these people will be able to retroactively feel less "shame" about having broken down and purchased the set.

I've repeated this a couple times now, so maybe I should shut up. But, I wish someone else besides Randy and I would consider this possibility, even if only to reject it even if it was a creator's decision.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
OK. Even if this was "the creator's" decision, and I'd sure as hell like to know who qualifies as the creator for Kung Fu, I would still reject it. Just like many people object to changes made by Lucas, even though he's the director.

Pure and simple. If Mel Brooks said that he'd decided to release High Anxiety, but in retrospect he thinks it would look better upside down in the frame, with all of the Hitchcock jokes removed and with the soundtrack available only in Mandarin, the fact that he is the director would not lead me to say OK.

And if all he or any other director wanted to do was simply change the aspect ratio for any reason whatsoever, I would reject it.

I am unwilling to accept the (IMO) ridiculous idea that in the early 70s this show was purposely framed for a possible widescreen presentation 30 years later. But I will entertain the possibility that someone in charge decided to do this because they thought it looked better. But I don't care. Even if it's Bruce Lee back from the grave, I want this OAR, and I won't buy it otherwise.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Fair enough. You make a compelling argument for rejecting the releases even if someone involved did make the call. To clarify my idea of a possible "creator," I guess I'm thinking of an executive producer on the level of a Spelling, Cannell, or Bellasario, though I don't know if such a person exists for Kung Fu. As I said earlier, I'm not that familiar with the show. But, you've made it clear you would reject this person's input in any case, and I respect that. And, I also see where it isn't the same as the Kubrick case, since Kubrick apparently framed it for 1.33 during filming.

I guess the one point I want to make is this: though Kung Fu may be a no-sale for many of you, if it was a decision from some kind of "creator," it doesn't signal a new policy of MARing old TV shows on the part of Warner Bros. The fact that every other show Warners is releasing is OAR (to my knowledge) suggests this is the case. Of course, if this set does well, others putting together sets at WB may get the idea that reformatting older shows is the way to go.

Full disclosure: I haven't purchased the set, and I do consider myself pro-OAR. There are many titles I would love to have, such as the Principal or Karate Kid, but I have refused to purchase them since they are full frame only. That said, I probably wouldn't be considered pro-OAR by many in this thread, because I recently broke down and purchased the MAR Remo Williams. I know that's the wrong way to do it, since the idea is to send the message that OAR is the only thing we will support. I had no MAR titles for so long, too. :frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

It will be very unfortunate if that happens, and people who bought the set will have only themselves to blame.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

This is no mystery. Ed Spielman is credited in the retrospectives on the DVD as the show's creator. That's also how most sources on the Internet credit him. He also wrote the pilot movie and many episodes. He explains the genesis of the show on the DVD.

Jerry Thorpe was the original director. His unique look--the "cinematic" feel, variable slow-motion action scenes, etc.--for the show is discussed on the DVD. It's also noted that once he established the show's look, directors of other episodes had to follow it to maintain consistency. This could be a key factor in the DVD's chosen presentation.

Most importantly, Spielman and Thorpe were involved in the making of the DVD.

This is one of those rare catalog projects where just about every major player took part in the making of the DVD--creator, producers, actors, writers, directors, technical advisers, crew and studio executives.

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Randy, I do hope that you (or someone) can come up with the 'definative' version of why the conversion to 16:9. What will be the reaction of the loudest here (not that they shouldn't be loud) if the people behind the show say, "Yes, we were thinking ahead and we did try to compose the show 16:9 in an 'open matte' for TV with the thought down the line that it would be more likely to be widescreen."

What then? Call the liars? Say 'your original vision dosen't matter'?

Randy makes a good point, why THIS SHOW and not others?? I know that "Hogan's Heros" has been shown on HDHet in faux-widescreen (logrimithic stretch) but has there been any mention of this being released that way???

If a portion of the energy being put into wailing about this had been put into trying to find out WHY THIS SHOW, we may have had an answer before now...

$0.02

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, I for one feel no "shame" for purchasing this set. If that means putting a black mark next to my name, so be it. When someone else starts purchashing my DVDs for me, then they can have some say on what I purchase. I've previously explained my position on this particular set and made an informed judgement on its purchase with *MY* discretionary income. If you don't wish to purchase the set, fine by me. I've been watching and enjoying the episodes.

Perhaps everyone could just discuss the set or Warner Bros. release policy on this title without all the smarmy indignation directed at fellow HTF members.

Edit: This post isn't directed at any one individual but towards the tone taken by some in this thread.

- Walter.

richardWI

Second Unit

All MAR'd presentations, unless labeled "director's cut" are a mistake. A consistent and deliberate mistake is still a mistake.

richardWI

Second Unit

Because it's a dangerous new trend that must be squashed before it becomes the norm? Because they made expensive HD transfers of the series and quickly ported out the DVDs from the HD to recoup some of the costs? We can speculate till the cows come home, but we will still be stuck with MARs BARS.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
(EDITED: Taken to PM)

I apologize for my percentage of the thread's hijack.

Continue on...once again, sorry for all the subtext.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Randy:

Thanks for posting your response. Not that it makes the pill any easier to swallow, but I think George nailed it by saying that it was probably thought that Kung Fu fans would be more likely to be WS owners.

Judging by co-workers, friends & acquaintances, relatives, who think "widescreen" is what should be picked up due to the buzz of current WS TV sets and new WS release movies etc., I can only assume most of these (non-enthusiasts) would be only too happy to pick up what they think is the right product.

Thankfully, In the WB statement, they do claim this is not a sign of future TV releases. We can only hope that the controversy generated here on the forum will change any future thoughts of releasing a product that's not of its original aspect ratio - period.

Now, Season Two has me wondering.... :confused:

Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks