1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

HTF REVIEW: "King of Kings" (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug

2. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

3. RonDanto

RonDanto Member

Getting back to the aspect ratio,I would really like to know if the DVD is going to provide a wider image than the Cassette and Laserdisc did. I happened to catch part of
    KoK on HBO this past Christmas and although they showed the film full frame the credits were wide screen and the
    image was wider than both the laser and VHS.
    RonDanto

4. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
  5. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    [​IMG]

The images to the left are from the DVD. To the right from the letterboxed VHS tape - (approximate from viewing on my Vidikron projector).

6. RonDanto

RonDanto Member

Roland,

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question.

RonDantonio

7. RonDanto

RonDanto Member

I am very much impressed with what I see and hear about the "King of Kings" DVD. Can everybody jump on Warner Bros and ask for half-way descent packaging instead of the cheap
    snap case. I went out and bought plastic sleaves for
    snap case DVD's.

8. Scooter

Scooter Well-Known Member

Scooter
    I have a few versions of this flick on various formats...loved it since childhood. I even have the original RoadShow release souvenir book...hardcover!

As for the age of Hunter...inside Hollywood the movie was jokingly referred to as:

"I Was A Teenage Jesus"

Interesting to note...Ron's screen grabs are nearly, if not completely, identical to the stills in the movie book I have.

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Well-Known Member

Are you serious?
    Roland Lataille, Those VHS shot's look fantastic.
    I am off to see your site.
    Thank's!

Did you notice the difference in film grain between the two formats?

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Well-Known Member

Just back from Roland Lataille site.
    The captures off the DVD & LD should delight fans of this film, and OAR as well.
    Thanks again, RL.

11. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Well-Known Member

I think we often take for granted what goes into presenting a film of this vintage on DVD, especially one that looks and sound this good.

I talked to WHV's George Feltenstein, who produced the DVD (and the soundtrack CD and laserdisc before that), for my write-up about the DVD in tomorrow's newspaper. His comments, only the first of which did I have the space to include in the paper, illustrate the pains that he and his colleagues took to make the DVD something special:

On the DVD's six-channel sound:

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I watched this dvd over the weekend and Warner did a fine job overall with it. Except for a couple of scenes, the picture quality was excellent.

Crawdaddy

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Well-Known Member

Just got through it. Picture and sound are excellent and a great release overall. But I noticed that as was the case with "Ben-Hur" Warners has used a different trailer from the one that was on the MGM LD. And once again, I find myself wondering if I should take up shelf space with the old LD for that reason alone (I really hate these kinds of dilemmas when its for something like this, but that's my history/archivist's mind at work).

15. DeeF

DeeF Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching this disk.

But at the risk of offending the dead, did anybody else find the sound of this movie a little odd?

The beautiful separated stereophonic score clearly displays distortion, as has been previously written about. But other movies of the time don't sound this noisy (I immediately listened to the disk of Ben-Hur, which sounds much better to my ears).

The narration by Welles and center channel just boom out, and in addition, most of the movie is looped, but without ambient noise, so the looping sounds very false, very isolated. Many of the looped lines appear out of sync to me, although this may have been true of the original movie. Some lines were dubbed by other actors, and some by the actor himself. I particularly found Siobhan McKenna's lines quite out of sync.

Overall, I thought the disk was splendidly prepared, so perhaps this is what the original movie was like. I still find it a bit odd.

16. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Well-Known Member

17. RolandL

Roland Lataille

18. Mike Quigley

Mike Quigley New Member

I have only one question about this DVD -- is the final reel in stereo? On the widescreen Dolby Surround laser disc it was NOT, which was rather odd, since the pan and scan video tape was in stereo right to the end.

By the way, Brigid Bazlen (Salome in the film) did NOT marry Nicholas Ray. According to the Internet Movie Database, for a time, he was married to Betty Utey, who did the choreography for Salome's dance.

(And shame for spelling Miklos Rozsa's name wrong in the first message!!)

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Technically, The Fall Of The Roman Empire and Mutiny On The Bounty '62 can be exhibited at 2.55:1 on video.

2.76:1 definately would be nice, but neither film was to be shown at THAT wide of an aspect ratio. They framed everything to fit in the 2.55:1 aspect ratio due to theaters generally not having screens that wide.

Ben-Hur's DVD uses a 2.55:1 ratio print improperly masked to fake a 2.70:1 aspect ratio. Without those masks, you'd see the proper 2.55:1 aspect ratio. Not only that, but when downgraded to 35mm, the anamorphic prints retained the 2.55:1 aspect ratio.

20. RolandL

Roland Lataille

It's all is stereo.