What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: King Kong (2005). Very highly recommended (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just bought it without seeing it before. Loved it, especially the camera work in the last 1/3 of the film.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

This is the reason I picked up the 2-disc version. Unlike the Lord of the Rings films, I have no interest in seeing an extended version of King Kong. I already have the Production Diaries, so this will be enough to hold me over until the HD on a platter release.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
For me, as much as I was a fan of the Production Diaries on line, I feel they're more filler than anything. I've always been more of a fan of the look back (ala Lord of the Rings) style documentary put together AFTER having completed the film. So it was the single disc for me this time, and definitely the Extended Edition in the future.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I went on a King Kong spree yesterday! I picked up the 2 discer, the PD, the original King Kong and the 70's remake of King Kong, both were only $9.99 a piece.

Plus I got 3 bucks off the 2005 film AND a King Kong movie poster that Coconuts was giving away with every purchase! I made out pretty well on that deal. :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, Posten, when it comes to the subject of OAR, I am never hesitant to admit that it makes me happy when a studio releases a film in it's OAR only.

It's as it should be IMO.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm right there with ya, I always ask innocently why people want to miss half the movie, often times they arent even aware of what they are missing. Open matte is another issue of course.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was going to speak up and try to make conversataion about widescreen to the kid, i've done that on a couple of occasions at Best Buy, but this kid was big and mean looking and he looked like he could probably kick my ass so I kept quiet. :b

MattHR

Screenwriter

A word of advice when attempting this: Check the knuckles. If they are scarred or have open sores, they've been dragged for too long. There's nothing you could say that would make any difference.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There was a snippet of that scene in the trailer. The group in a boat as something slithers through the water toward them.

Actually, now that I've watched all the post-production diaries, there's a lot of scenes that didn't make the final film, including some of the pick-ups. What's the point in shooting a pick-up, then not using it?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They make a point of mentioning on the Featurettes and the PPDs that a large portion of the trailer has been changed or cut. Blame the awesome power of non linear editing combined with a director not afraid to adapt his vision for the film until its finally done.

Sam

Frank_T

Auditioning
I'm surprised no one is bothered by the Volkswagon ad right there on the main menu of the DVD.

I could care less if it's featured in the film in some way or not; it really cheapens the whole "special edition".

Reminds me of the "Earthlink" nonsense on the Meet the Parents dvd (the 2nd edition that came out).

At least we can now skip the commericals on most DVD's.

Frank_T

Auditioning

Well - what's next: lets see -- Volkswagon could pay a little more for a larger chunk of real-estate. Maybe pay a little more to throw in their logo. Maybe pay a little more to run the commercial right before the movie starts (and you can't skip it).

Keep giving a little bit. When it's too late, you won't know what happened.

---

I think it cheapens the quality of the product.

Imagine if they had done this to the Lord of the Rings SE menus.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd rather have it in the menus than forced viewing the way Disney and other studios have done.

Like it or not this is not the theater business we grew up with, and there are some experiments in alternative financing we will love and some we will hate.

All in all, this one seems benign to me!

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
As long as they stay off the actual coverart and menus, I'm fine. Hell they could include a full catalog for their 2006 lineup, I could care less, it still ends up in the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks