What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
I'm finding the DD to be well-down. Good dynamic range, but with a slightly muddy low end. I have not tried the DTS yet. I like the punchiness of the DD so far tho.

The 35mm print I saw was stunning,

but I hold out little hope that they'll get rid of the filtering or edge enhancement for the Special Editions; if they can't fix I will likely hold out for the HD-DVD / Bluray version.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit

Boredom is the price of a lazy mind. If you are listening to the director on the level he is "talking" to you, you won't be bored. If you do hear him and it's just not your cup of tea, put on another film, or wait until you're in the mood.

Don't criticize a film for proudly being what it is.

NicolasC

Grip

I've been unable to play this DVD with my Pionner DV-563A. I had to watch it on my puter :-(
Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I didn't like Vol.2 as much as Vol.1. Vol.2 does flesh out the characters quite a bit more and allows you to understand why things have been done. The battle between B. and Elle Driver was pretty disappointing but it was clever that it happened in the mobile home where there wasn't enough room to draw a sword from it's scabbard. The B. v/s Bill battle was downright pathetic... a couple sword swings from a chair and the five-finger-palm-exploding-heart-technique within about 30 seconds!! This is David frikkin' Carradine we're talking about. The man in a martial arts god yet we don't get to see it. I agree that the only saving grace to the film was the Pai Mei training scene. (especially where he leaps onto the sword)It takes you straight back to the kung fu flicks of the 70's. The story rolled along really well then just fizzled out near the end. I gave Vol.1 4 stars and had to let Vol.2 sit with 3 stars.

On a side note, I did notice for the first time the sign in Japan in Vol.1 for Red Apple cigarettes. It would seem Tarantino has a thing for that brand of smokes.

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
I really loved Kill Bill volume 1. The pacing music everything. I was dissapointed in volume 2. It did seem to drag way more then the first. The picture was also a lot softer at least compared to the Japanese DVD.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
There seems to be a strange little attitude here about people who don't like Volume 2. I wasn't crazy about it - and some here would have me believe that it's because I don't "get" what Tarantino had in mind. Hogwash. I just don't like it (I enjoyed the first Volume) - I found the dialogue not-so-hot and it just sort of rambled and ambled along. There were bits and pieces I enjoyed, certainly, but really, folks, there really is no reason to have this "superior" attitude - different strokes.

However, the one thing I absolutely cannot understand is why everyone is saying this transfer looks great. It's so soft at times it's almost out-of-focus. It certainly wasn't that way in the theater. I thought the first Volume's transfer looked better, frankly. I'm watching on a Mitsubishi 56inch widescreen TV, and everything I've been watching recently has looked pretty great and that includes the new Village of the Damned DVD, which is sharp as a tack and gorgeous. Nope, I'm afraid the Kill Bill 2 transfer is not good, especially for a new film, and no amount of anyone saying it is is going to make me feel differently. I have really good eyes and this thing is SOFT.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

This is what I feel people are missing, IMO. This epic is not supposed to be only a straight "martial arts film and nothing more". Many people seem to be expecting nonstop sword fighting.

Everyone thinks VOL. 1 is so much more exciting, but if you really watch them both several times and get more and more familiar with them, you'll see there are "slow parts" to VOL. 1 too. The animation sequence moves slowly, the whole Sonny Chiba sequence is not exactly "action packed," and there are lulls all over. I think the reason many people believe VOL. 1 is better is because the memory of the House of Blue Leaves bloody battle is what sticks in their memories the most. But the whole movie was not like that.

None of this is meant to suggest that I don't like VOL. 1 ... I do. In fact, even I was sour on VOL. 2 the first time I saw it because it seemed to pale in comparison to the sword fighting of the first initially; but when I approached it with a different attitude later on there was just no comparison, and 2 is far superior to me now. And BOTH volumes, edited together as ONE, is masterful.

As for the "soft" transfer, it was the DVD of KILL BILL VOL. 1 that looked like that to me. I thought 2 was a little better.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it's just the end battle that makes the difference. V1 also STARTS with a big fight, so it brings the viewer into its violent world quickly. V2 doesn't, and its fights are also shorter.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

If you're talking about the Vernita Green fight, it didn't really last that long either. It's around the same length as the Elle Driver fight. It really is the end battle in V1 that makes the difference.

Erin Chilcoat

Auditioning
IMHO V2 is this years best film so far! I loved V1 but,for overall emotion V2 is for me the clear winner.
I nearly lost it when I spotted Sid Haig in the titty bar also w/the snake-suitcase gag
. QT has made another cult classic masterpiece.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
FWIW, here's my breakdown of v2:

(spoilers just in case)

b&w recap: good
wedding rehearsal: way overlong
Budd & Bill: overlong
Budd at work: irrelevant
Bride vs Budd: v good
Bride & Pai Mei: excellent
Elle & Budd: overlong->good
Elle vs Bride: v good
Father Figure & Bride: completely useless
Bride, Bill & daughter: way overlong
Bride & Bill: overlong, boring
Bride vs Bill: v good
Bride & daughter: pretty much useless
End Credits: v good

IMHO a lot of scenes needed heavy trimming, but were worthy of inclusion for the odd piece of excellent dialogue or performance (usually from Carradine). Unfortunately nothing tops the Pai Mei sequence, which is so good it almost ruins the rest of the movie (in the same way as the Hopper/Walken scene did in True Romance).

v1 is a much more solid movie from start to finish. However I still enjoyed v2 a lot, and with better editing I'd probably prefer it to v1.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, the pai mei sequences were about the only thing I liked about volume 2. It brought back some of the humour and style of volume 1. I can't say I hated volume 2, but it was a big let down after volume 1. Some people seem to want to put people in the boxes, of enjoying violent fight scenes of the first one and of enjoying the dialogue of the second one. I don't think this is the case at all, volume 2 just didnt have the right dialogue to captivate the audience. I don't like the way some people are trying to claim themselves as being more intelligent for preferring volume 2.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Whether one considers the VG/Bride fight to be a "big" one or not, the contrast with the start to V2 remains. V1 began with a fight - big or otherwise - while V2 didn't. This isn't a complaint about the open to V2 - it was totally appropriate. Just as the starting fight in V1 set up the kind of over-the-top movie it'd be, the beginning to V2 established its tone as well...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Today I watched VOL 1 and VOL 2 back to back for the first time. A masterpiece! When both are edited together properly, minus credits and the cliffhanger, this will be one of the greatest films ever made, and I mean it literally.

Like any epic film, there are peaks and there are valleys. Some characterization and dialogue, then some slam-bang action highlights. I think VOL. 2 works wonderfully when joined with the first part. After the House of Blue Leaves showdown, you're about ready for things to settle down again for a bit. In fact, Part 2 actually flew by this time, while watching the whole story all together!

Remember, folks - the film is KILL BILL, not Kill Bill Vol 1 and Kill Bill Vol 2 :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Rodney, are you sure you don't mean it brought back the martial arts of VOL. 1?

What humor and style was there in V1 that wasn't in V2? The second half of the KILL BILL film (which we'll call V2) had tons of style, cinematography wonders and humor.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Joe, you really ought to stop questioning people about why they didn't care for Volume 2. I didn't care for it all that much, and let me tell you you are no more a film buff than I. You obviously revere this film - for you it works perfectly. That's marvelous. But for others, myself included, Part 1 worked fine and Part 2 didn't work nearly as well. Mind you, I don't love Part 1 either, and IMO to call this film one of the greatest ever made is so hyperbolic as to border on strange.

I posted about this yesterday but not one person has really responded to it: How can anyone say this is a great or even good transfer. It borders on being out-of-focus on anything but the close-ups. I have never seen a new film transfer of a new film look like this. I've heard complaints galore about Volume 1, but it is perfection compared to Volume 2.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't like KB2 as a film or dvd then why keep hanging out around here and spoiling people having a good time like Joe. Go where you belong and troll in the Princess Diaries or Aliens vs Predator forums and bother them.
I for one think KB2 is borderline perfect, and is not strange. I love it so much. 10x better than vol 1.
Joe keep spreading the joy .:emoji_thumbsup:

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Is this a forum about having a good time? I believe this thread is about Kill Bill 2 and its DVD release. I believe there are many posts here both yay and nay. I really think it unnecessary to be insulting. I'm apparently a LOT older than you, have seen a LOT more films than you, and take your "troll" insult as being totally obnoxious. And for your info, I have never seen The Princess Diaries, and I have no intention of ever seeing Alien vs. Predator. Everyone here, I believe, is entitled to their opinion and has the right to state that opinion. Sorry, fellow, but it's not me who's the troll.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Ok fine you're entitled to yours...and so is Joe so leave him be. He's not questioning other people as he is just interacting and giving them a different angle that perhaps they didn't see. What's wrong with that? He did not insult anybody or put them down.
So stay if if wish but you should practice what you preach.
It seems you're the one having a problem with all the people who loves KB2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks