What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
For my first viewing of Volume 2, I saw it in a double-feature with the first film. It worked for me to watch them, essentially, as one film. The first film is all hyper-kinetic, but then it slows down to enjoy the characters. Yes the two films seem to vary wildly between styles, but then, as Rob said, the first film varies wildly in style from scene to scene.

Great films.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Heh heh :)

No, the lines in question were not in the theatrical film (about the cooking and about Bud buying back the sword). Believe me, the dialogue has become etched in my brain! :)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I actually liked KB 2 better but as a whole, I'm a little disappointed because Part 1 & 2 just don't match. Kill Bill 1 is more like a Hollywood fantasy movie which I just couldn't believe in, as far as realism. Especially when you have scenes where people in the back ground are carrying swords. It also just doesn't seem like a Tarantino movie at all. Part 2 is more "down to earth" and isn't nearly as far fetched. It also has a much more Tarantino feel to it, having a more Americana style. On this basis, I don't think these movies should be edited as one. I think they are better left alone, as two movies.

No it was never there. :) People always "dream" of lines they thought they saw in the theater.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Although "Filmed in Panavision" is supposed to indicate that a film was shot anamorphically, often the phrase is occaisonally used incorrectly such as in the "Kill Bill" films. I have seen "Filmed in Panavision" on a few films that were shot at 1.85:1 as well. I have seen anamorphic films use "Cameras and Lenses by Panavision" as well. Widescreenreview.com has "Kill Bill" listed as being shot in Super 35. They are generally more accurate than IMDB.

I have heard that QT has said that he does not really care much for Super 35 (as for why he keeps using it.........) Maybe he wants to believe he shot "Kill Bill" anamorphically

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe I saw some circular lens flares which would suggest that at least those scenes were shot flat. I'm pretty sure that the first film was not actually presented in "Shaw Scope", either. :)

Regards,

Greg S

Supporting Actor
OK checked this film out last night (rental) and all can say is .... That's 2 hours and 17 mins I lost from my life I totally cannot get back! (Flame suit is on so blaze away -- also before pot shots get taken I am 33 years old with a wife and 2 kids and like all types of films so please don't label me as a punk kid who doesn't get movies (thanks)).

The transfer and sound were quite good and everything looked top notch but my gosh what a BOOOOOOORRRRRRRINGGGG movie.

I typically like Tarantino stuff but both KB1 and KB2 have soured me on his efforts. KB1 was nothing more than an excuse to splatter blood all over the place (nice action but good grief the amount of blood was just stupid). KB2 was a long drawn out, predictable, and boring. Both movies were so full of ridiculously unbelieveable stuff I found it hard to watch. For the most part when I watch a movie I can suspend disbelief but most of the things in both of these films had me chuckling going "Oh give me a break!"

Anyway I know I won't be the popular opinion on this but oh well. Normally I also won't comment too much on a movie in this manner but I just had to get this off my chest -- Sorry.

Thanks

Greg

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I don't think this has been mentioned, but I just wanted to say that I thought 60's/70's biker and B-movie regular (and director of the bizarre MAD DOG TIME) Larry Bishop gave an absolutely priceless performance as Larry Gomez, the unrepentantly sleazy strip club owner. Sometimes the best roles in Tarantino's movies are the small ones.

Supposedly, Bishop's writing and directing a movie called HELL RIDE starring himself, Michael Madsen and Quentin Tarantino. Could be fun...

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I personally enjoyed KB2 far more than KB1.

And I agree with many others that the parts are completely different from each other. It is very hard to see how they would go together.
- KB1's world is a fantasy world where people carry swords onto airplanes, splatchy and colorful. Very much like some asian action films. It also has a very episodic structure, with different looks for each section. (even one animated one)
- KB2's world is gritty and felt like a Western, and it has a very "unified" feel.

But the biggest reason I far prefer KB2 is because of David Carradine.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
The only thing that really bothered me about KB2 was the scene(s) with Budd at the strip club. Yeah, we learned a bit about Budd's lot in life, but whoop-de-doo. Honestly, the only thing I was wondering was "When are we going to get back to the plot?!!" It all seemed like perfect Delelted Scene material.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The only thing that really bothered me about KB2 was the scene(s) with Budd at the strip club."

Actually I liked that scene with Budd repeating, "there aint no one here" and his boss breaking his balls. "there was ur name"crossing it off with the marker:laugh:

My problem with it is the last 30 minutes.After Elle dies, it all goes in the crapper.

Also the managers comment about needing a asshole on his elbow makes me laugh, as its a nod to his friend Roger Avery, who used that line in Rules Of Attraction.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I loved the movie, and this DVD wa better than the last. GREAT musical number by Robert Rodriguez... I am happy with it.

Ryan

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

And I revise what I said earlier about the only scenes bothering me were with Budd. I hated the scene with the bride and that old guy friend of Bill's. I had no idea what was going on there. It was sooooooooo slow and it just kept leading to nowhere. I couldn't even figure out what the guy was saying most of the time. If I had the choice, I'd keep in Budd's stuff over that guy without question.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Count me one as liking KB2 better than KB1. The character development, dialogue, and score (Morricone rocks!) is just much better.

8^B

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't take one frame out of either volume of KILL BILL. Well -- actually, the only moment that drags for me a little, no matter how many times I've seen it, is near the end where The Bride is lying in bed watching TV with her daughter, and the lethargic version of "She's Not There" verrrrryyy slooowwwwllyy droans on. Other than this moment, everything's perfect to me.

Another thing about "editing this as one film".... I think we should remember that it IS one film! This is not KILL BILL and its sequel; it's all one movie. The entire thing is called "The Fourth Film By Quentin Tarantino," not the fourth and fifth.

At the very end credits of Vol. 2, the title reads:

KILL
BILL

--period.

So, this is essentially one grand epic, one total piece, a la BEN HUR or THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw Vol. 2 for the first time last night. I already love the film, but I believe its going to take me multiple viewings before I can really appreciate it. For me, Vol. 1 was much easier to digest after the first viewing then the second film.

I totally agree. I might have enjoyed this scene much more if I could understand half of what the guy said.

One thing that totally took me out of the film in the beginning was Samuel L. Jackson. Its my own fault really though. The entire time he was on the screen, in my head I heard: "THAT'S SAMUEL L. JACKSON! THAT'S SAMUEL L. JACKSON!" I know damn't. Does he have this effect on anyone else?

As far as the actual look of the films, I love the color used in both films. In some scenes its as if the colors are popping out of the screen. I did feel most of the desert scenes were washed out and lacked detail however in Vol 2. I think this is probably done intentionally though.

After finishing the saga of Kill Bill last night with Vol. 2, I have more appreciation for Quentin Tarantino then ever before. When watching a QT film, especially Kill Bill, its so obvious that every aspect of the movie has been thought out. The music, effects, color, dialogue, framing, choreography, and everything else is integrated in a way that perfectly emits the emotion or "feel" of each scene. Kill Bill is already one of my all time favorites.

Haden

Supporting Actor

No, I didn't dream it, because those lines are in the script of the film and I've never read the script until last night just to confirm that the dialogue wasn't my imagination.

As for the comparison between KB1 and KB2, I'm another one who liked KB2 a lot more. I was so looking forward to KB1 but felt disappointed after seeing it for the first time because it wasn't what I expected from a Tarantino film. It was all action... very little character-driven story with witty dialogue like I've enjoyed in Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown. KB1 has since grown on me after 3 viewings, but I still think KB2 is the superior film. After seeing KB2 the first time I left the theater feeling completely satisfied. Rarely have I felt like that after a movie. THAT was what I hoped for and expected with KB1, and KB2 redeemed it. KB2 is much more of a Tarantino-esque film, so I think those who prefer it over KB1 are probably the hardcore Tarantino fans who love Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown... and those who prefer the simple plot and non-stop action of KB1 probably don't like Tarantino's previous work as much.

Overall I love both movies as one great epic. An instant cult classic.

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have trouble playing this disc? I've been having trouble playing the deleted scene on my Denon 2800 II without it freezing up. And I've found the movie itself freezes a bit sometimes. Thinking it was a defect, I just exchanged it for another copy...same problem. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks