What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Kill Bill Vol. 1 (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad Tarantino doesn't have a diaper fetish! :D

But on a serious note: Does anyone else seem to think Uma's character "The Bride" is a bit on the jittery side? Specifically when in the scene opposite of the stone-cold O-Ren Ishii, The Bride appears to be vibrating like a chiuahua that had one too many espresso drinks.

Is this supposed to express something of her character, because i figured a professional assassin bent on revenge (accent added because its a cool phrase) would have nerves of steel.

Good flick at any rate.:emoji_thumbsup:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Not to change the subject too much, but am I the only one who didn't recognize Vivica Fox? When they showed the credits, I was stunned.

As for the toe thing, what I don't get is Uma has no ass, has some weird looking feet, has skeleton hands, yet I am still very attracted to her!:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Forget Uma, Julie Dreyfus is HOT! Wow what a beautiful accent she has too(as heard in the doc). I think Uma's beauty is extremely overrated, but that's just me. Julie Dreyfus is more my type. ;)

About the B&W sequence, to me a lot of the blood gushing looks like water, as in the 'blood' looks too transparent or light-colored to be blood. So I don't understand the theory of that sequence being shot in color. I guess I'll have to see it for myself eventually. At any rate to me it does work stylistically to keep it B&W. I think seeing that sequence in color would seem odd now.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Right you are about Julie Dreyfus, Gary->dee. I thought she was crazy hot in this movie.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I agree with you about Julie Dreyfuss. I love accents too. And I also agree about the blood. When I saw this in the theater for the first time, I really took notice of that. Not that it affected the way I felt about the movie, I still loved it!:)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Julie Dreyfus is plenty hot, I concur. But who besides Uma coulda gone through as much as she for these films (hideously finger-like toes aside)? Honestly, I kinda don't care about seeing a full-color House of Blue Leaves sequence on DVD. I'm much more interested in an extensive, colorful chronicle of the films arduous making.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

the THX recommended viewing angle is about 30 degress...which translates into somewhere around 1.5 screen-widths back. Personally, most DVDs aren't mastered well enough to look good from this distance (unlike HD) and most digital projectors reveal artifacts of their own at this range (like screen door or pixel structure) so I prefer to sit about 1.75:1 screen-widths back to help the image "come together" as an analog whole. From that distance, WELL MASTERED DVDs look positively stunning and any casual viewer would say "looks better than the theater!" though a discerning videophile *might* notice a slight lack of ultra-fine resolution compared to a pristine 35 mm film print. But in any case from 1.75 screen widths back GOOD DVDs look positively terrific. It's only over-filtered DVDs that look like they're missing something in the way of mid-far ground detail.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

This is exactly why I won't get anything bigger than my 55" Mits until HD DVD is a reality. With my current setup I'd say that at least 80% of the movies I view look great with minimal flaws. If I had a projector I fear I would be heartbroken at the number of films I would watch that would distract me with substandard video.

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
DaViD Boulet However, for me to being expected to have knowlege of whether a Japanese DVD is available that has sequences in the movie that differ in content both from what is on the current DVD *and* from what was shown theatrically in the U.S.? Plleeeeeaaaasse.

You're the fan who scours the net all day reading rumormills from every obscure site regarding the titles that you love. That's your area of expertise therefore it's YOUR job to let us know these things--not mine. That's the beauty of reviews at HTF...they are the genesis for discussions where information exactly such as this can be shared by those who know with others so HTF visitors can make an informed purchase decision.

That attitude is why I say your review is so bad. It's a lazy/sloppy review. If you are truly a fan of the film (how can you be?) and the DVD format, you'd already know about an uncut version and tell your fellow DVD followers of this. If it's far too much bother for you to look at several Tarantino interviews or numerous posts on HTF then that's your call.

You can speak (obviously) at great length about packaging, image and sound. I'm sure a robot script could do that. When I click on your link (as a movie fan, a fan of Tarantino and DVD) I expect an honest appraisal of the Tarantino film. You haven't given that. As I said in my first post you are either ignorant or arrogant. From your reply above it looks like it's both.

I love movies just like you guys but I like facts about those movies. Not tech saturated 'reviewing' and nothing about me being shortchanged on the actual film. Especially when that can can be easily had elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Daniel,

Stop this nonsense immediately.

You made your point early on in this thread and
your remarks have become tiring ever since.

We all realize how you feel about the uncut version,
but that's no excuse to throw personal attacks at
Mr. Boulet who has been doing an outstanding job of
reviewing product for this forum.

It's not possible for any of us to absolutely know
about any other region releases of this title. Even
I wasn't aware that this title was being released
uncut elsewhere. And you know what? Most of us
don't really care to the extreme that you do.

I would have gladly let you vent a little in this
thread about not getting an uncut release here in
Region 1, but you extended that venting into attacks
towards Mr. Boulet, and I am simply not going to
allow that. Mr. Boulet's review is thorough and
representative of the product he received.

Your venting is over. Thank You.

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies if you think my attack is personal, it certainly was not intended to be taken that way.

I was merely making a valid point.

What the Japanese got ww.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10523

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Battle Royale was great. A question for other genera film buffs: Where was the Master of the Flying Guillotine music cue used in Kill Bill? I was trying to figure out. The "master's theme song" is on the soundtrack, but I don't recall hearing it in the movie. I do think that some of the "attack" music cues from the Go-go fight scene were lifted from Flying Guillotine however.

Anyone know for certain?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Rob - excellent post!

Although perhaps the following room is a more accurate depiction:

(click here if image doesn't show)

;)

Ron,

I'm glad you stepped in. Not only that, but even if you, David, or any other HTF reviewer was aware of a non R1 alternative version of this or any other DVD that should still have no impact on how an R1 release should be reviewed. Besides, isn't there a specific forum on HTF to discuss multi-region/non region 1 DVDs?

David,

Excellent review, and you get extra kudos for keeping your cool.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

do you mean after she just killed about 200 people in the ,what was it called, house of blue leaves?

i might be shaking just a little too after that.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Or maybe it was a little cold outside since it was snowing and she wasn't wearing her outer biker outfit. ;)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

I am still not clear on what these means. Do you mean Uma's picture shoul take up more of the front of the DVD Case?

And can anyone tell me exactly how much more there is in the R2 version of the movie? Any plot or just a few graphic shots of The Bride killing people?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I don't have the DVD, but maybe he means the insert is smaller (lengthwise unfolded) than the amarary case, so when the case is closed there is a black border of case around the insert?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks