What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Jeepers Creepers" (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I finally got to see this flick. All in all, it was an okay horror movie. Not great, but okay. The creature was well done (and pretty damn freaky!), and I liked that it broke a few of the typical conventions of the genre.

However, I would've liked a little more backstory on the creature itself, rather than the quickie wrap-up they give you via the psychic Giselle. They introduce a lot of interesting concepts (the House of Pain, "every 23 years for 23 days he feeds", etc.) but then never follow through with any explanations. So while I enjoyed the downbeat ending, I still felt like there was a potentially more interesting movie we didn't get to see here. And while the director does some very interesting camera work, the editing is patchwork and choppy in many places, which was quite distracting.

The 5.1 soundtrack was pedestrian, and surrounds often sounded very flat to me, especially the shootouts in the police station where gunfire is coming from the left surround.

Overall, this is good B-grade schlock, but not much else. But then, the last horror movie that really did it for me was Guillermo Del Toro's MIMIC... and Jeepers Creepers is certainly no Mimic.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Lou S, I agree. I just rented this movie over the weekend. The first 30-40 minutes of the film was fantastic! Just plain creepy. The scene when they drive by the church and you see the big dude launching bloody sheet covered bodies into that pipe is just plain creepy. I was not expecting the film to be a monster flick. That's why I disliked it. I thought it was about a mysterious human killer. Oh, well. Sound wasn't great and the film was grainy in spots. Great extras!

Kevin M, what's the story on Mr Salva's past?

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The first 30 mins are spooky, then the film descends into post-modern teen horror conventions.
:thumbsdown:

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed this film up to the point where they hit eileen Brennans home. Until that point I found it to be a good thriller. From then on though I felt it was a joke.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Y'all have convinced me to rent Jeepers Creepers but to keep my expectations low. I'm in the camp that's tired of mortal serial killers...give me a good monster any day!
BTW, I understand Jeepers Creepers is under development as a TV series.
Jan

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I can't see how anyone could possibly respect this film. The very idea of them going back to the church was so utterly ridiculous to start with. I mean, only the most stupid people would go back.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Great Review! Did you get to the little extra Suprise at the very end of the Credits? You Have to wait For it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks