What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Jackie Brown" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the camp who prefers Jackie Brown. I also feel that Jackie Brown's transfer is slightly better than Pulp Fiction.

I feel that Jackie is more furthered by plot and thus more engaging...certainly more linear. As a matter of preference, I like both and Pulp is more daring and hard-hitting, but I think Jackie is the better and more skilled film.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Dean --

It is rumored that a major electronics chain will have both for $15.99 each with a $5 rebate (possibly instant) if you buy both. Oh, and a free From Dusk Till Dawn DVD.

Ned

Supporting Actor
PF is a great movie but Jackie Brown is even better. It lacks much of the whizzbang of PF though so most people just find it less impressive.
Long in the tooth? Ugh, come on Ron :frowning:

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Your reviews are just great and really helpful, but I'd like to ask you one thing... can you include in the audio section if there are subtitles/captions of any language ? I know its more work but you'll be helping more than one here. ;)
Thanks

Brett C

Second Unit
I love both of the movies but in my opinion Jackie Brown was a better movie and very much had a better sound design hence the difference in budget between the two films. Can't wait to pick these discs up thou :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll be more than happy to talk about subtitles
in all my future reviews.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
It's unfortunate "Jackie Brown" isn't regarded as highly as "Pulp Fiction". It's a more mature & satisfying film that only seems to get better with each viewing. Grier's & Forster's performances are what engage me most.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I picked up the DTS laserdisc last year and was floored by the audio and video quality. The soundtrack on this film is great. While it may not be the most active in terms of surround sound, you have to keep in mind that most scenes consist of people hanging out and talking. The acting and dialog are the stars of the show.

I love the wild ride provided by Pulp Fiction, but I think Jackie Brown is a better piece of storytelling. I'll be picking up both on Tuesday.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I liked Jackie Brown alot more than most of the people I know who saw the film. Its not super fast, but the story is interesting and entertaining, along with the good acting and dialouge. I like it and look forward to owning it :) I've waited a long time to see it on DVD. Man, I haven't even watched Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown in widescreen yet since I saw Pulp Fiction in the theatre. Can't wait :cool:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I put Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction on the same level. If you would force me to make a choice, I simply couldn't. Jackie Brown was just so good and watching Robert Forster at the top of his game was a thrill and a half.
Bruce

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Jackie Brown is my personal favorite. I'm on my way to pick it up right now. :D
Later Haywood :cool:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
According to the review at thedigitalbits.com there is a flawed pressing where the subtitle trivia track doesn't synch up to the film itself. You can call 1-800-723-4763 to get a replacement. Unfortunately, the copy I bought this morning at Circuit City has this problem. I plan on calling as soon as I get off the internet, hopefully it's not too big of a hassle.
UPDATE: I called the number and they didn't seem to be aware of the problem. Regadless of whether they were aware or not, it definitely exists. The first instance of the trivia track not synching up w/ the movie seems to occur at 1:01:16. In this scene, Jackie Brown is meeting with ATF agents Dargas and Nicolette. At this precise point in the subtitle track, a trivia subtitle pops up that is related to Melanie watching "Mad Dog". Approximately 52 seconds later, Melanie is actually shown watching "Mad Dog". Everything from this point on appears to feature the same odd synch: the trivia appears approximately 52 prior to it's appropriate visual. Anyways, I gave the Disney rep the number on my disc (I don't remember the exaxt number but it as on the bottom of the disc, it started with "X" and had a .1 suffix. I imagine that if or when a replacement is released it will have a .2 suffix) and they were helpful and said they would check into it and get back to me.

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
Once again Ron, awesome review! :emoji_thumbsup: I myself have always liked the story of Jackie Brown better than the one of Pulp Fiction, but I think that the style and dialog of Pulp is far superior to that of Jackie. But, hey I'm not complaining, both are great flix, and I was able to pick up both for under $28 after tax, and I still have the $5 mail in!:D
On a side note, Patrick inquired what had happened to Tarantino as of late. Well, he has Kill Bill is to be released on Oct. 10 of 2003. Imagine a martial arts revenge film (aren't most martial arts movies about revenge :D ) with the style and writing of Tarantino. If that is not enough it stars Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, Sonny Chiba, Vivica A. Fox, Daryl Hannah, Lucy Liu, Michael Jai White, and Woo-ping Yuen. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
This pic actually went into production a few years back, then Uma got pregnant. Instead of replacing her, Tarantino decided to wait for the actress to play the lead.
Sorry I got off the topic a bit, but once I get on the topic of Tarantino I tend to ramble. Back on topic I still have all the extras to watch on PF and JB so I have a few hours of viewing to do.

Ron_L

Second Unit
Just to let Canadians know that these Dvd's ( Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown ) have been postponed to Sept 3.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Is everyone experiencing the sync problem with the text commentary? Any official word from the studio on a replacment disc yet?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Just some FYI.
I went to Best Buy yesterday and they had a special where if you buy both "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown" Collector's Edition ($15.99 each) you get an additional $5.00 off along with a free copy of "From Dusk Til Dawn".
3 DVDs for less than $30.00 (keep in mind that 2 of them are 2 disc collector's edition) is not bad. Actually it is damn good! :D

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
But I'm a tad disappointed to hear that Ron isn't completely thrilled by the audio/video quality. And a little confused... reading the DVD FILE reviews of these discs, I was under the impression that the "Jackie Brown" DVD looked and sounded brilliant, whereas "Pulp Fiction" came up lacking in both departments.
Rich, I didn't look at Pulp Fiction yet, but I watched the first half of Jackie Brown and I thought it looked and sounded darn near perfect. I'm sure that Ron's video equipment is capable of revealing flaws that mine isn't, but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.
BTW, I had forgotten all about the French credits -- does Monsieur Tarantino give and explanation about them anywhere in the extras?
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks