What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "In America" (with screenshots): HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Adam why is there controversy?? If you feel that strongly about a film it's your perogative to tag it as such. I have enjoyed your reviews immensely, but I know to keep in mind that they are opinion!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
bringing this back up do to i just watched it and it is coming out this week.

not much i can addd except it is too bad it wasnt promoted to the theater more when it was showing.

just A terrific movie all the way around.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite film of 2003, it made me cry when I saw it in the theatres in January. This and Kill Bill should have been nominated for Best Picture. Just got the DVD, and I'm very happy. I hope you all give this film a chance.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this tonight-fantastic film. My only comment would be that it could have easily been a little longer, but that's a good sign. Thought the transfer looked great as well.

I noticed the film's year listed on the DVD is 2002-I wonder why it was delayed. I remember seeing trailers for it in the theater almost a year before it finally hit theaters.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmmm.....

I thought links to reviews on other sites wasn't permitted. Maybe if Ron likes the movie enough. :p)

I think maybe you guys should actually tone down your praise a bit. I may have been expecting too much and ended up being a little disappointed.

I was floored by Sarah Bolger, though. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for her. I'd also like to point out that Samantha Morton is an outstanding and mostly unappreciated actress. Everyone should check out Sweet and Lowdown. Not only is it a hilarious film and Sean Penn is great, Morton is amazing.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
This movie was very sweet. The African in this movie is one of my favortie black actors, he was amazing in Amistad. The little girls in this movie did a excellent job. You actually believed that they were a family.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I was afraid someone as going to say that and make me feel like a moron. Damn you ADAM!!!:D

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Yeah, I looked it up and confirmed it, the two girls are real life sisters. This is definately why they worked so well together and were so believable in the film.

ps: you are not a moron ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was mentioned in the featurette on the dvd.
thats how i found out they were sisters.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I bought this solely based on the recommendation of HTF. I watched it tonight. It’s an excellent movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

One question, does this movie happen in the 80s or nowadays? Because they watched E.T. and I’m concerned if they have seen the real version or the fake version?! :D

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Sam, it doesn't take place in a specific real-world time. It's a fantasy amalgam of various decades. Like Blue Velvet.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
We just rented this movie on DVD, and I must say, this is one of the best films to come out on DVD this year.

LaMarcus, I too thought Djimon Hounsou's character was wonderful in this movie. Of course, all the characters and actors were wonderful in this movie, especially those two little girls.

Such a shame this movie did not get more recognition than it did - with the press, at the Oscars, and the general movie going audience.

Heck, I had no desire to see this film at first, but after a few minutes... I was hooked!

I highly recommend this movie as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks