What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Heat - Two Disc Special Edition (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit

Hey CraigL I would like to see it. I'm thinking of buying the R2 Jap disk since this one doesn't look to be much of an improvement over the previous. Is the R2 transfer better than the R1? Thanks

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

No offense to Herb -- he did a GREAT review. But, when do a true valid comparison of shots, you must use the exact same frame.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Marco - the Marx Brothers transfers were hardly "ported" over from anything. They are all better than their Image counterparts, especially Duck Soup.

I went out of my way to say I hadn't seen the Heat DVD - I have now. It's a fine transfer, but I don't have the original DVD to compare it to. The bigger question for me is, what's the big deal about the movie. I didn't really care for it when it came out and seeing it again did nothing to change my opinion of it. It's a two hour movie that runs three hours. I watched the extras which I felt were the usual Warners boring talking heads and clips affair.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
What's the big deal about the movie?

Well...

Pacino and De Niro together for the first time in a film, headlining an excellent cast.
Mann's gifted eye for filming Los Angeles at night, and Dante Spinotti's fine cinematography.
A crime thriller that contrasts relationships on both sides of the law with thoughtful, considered dialog.
A filmmaker who is willing to tell his story patiently, allowing the film time to develop its characters.
The single best choreographed and edited robbery / gun battle committed to film.
Excellent sound design throughout the film, in particular during the opening heist sequence, and later following the bank robbery.

- Walter.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Dave… Agreed. So much so in fact, I have deleted the last set of caps from the review.

John… I have uploaded your new pics into the review.

There’s really not much more I can say with regards to this new Special Edition. Even after I posted the review, I went back checking various scenes and still, I see virtually no difference whatsoever. And that’s projected on a 96” screen (Sharp XV-Z9000u DLP on a Stewart Firehawk). Unfortunately, reviewers are rarely (if ever) privy to what was used as source elements or info relating to the transfer etc. All I can do is reiterate that the artifacting/noise that is (abundantly) present on the original version can be observed at the identical locations on the Special Edition… While upgrading for improved A/V seems (at least to me) pointless, whether or not you’ll want to upgrade for the special features is a personal decision.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Nothing has ever came close to that intense gun battle scene.

And as far as the new dvd goes, I have to buy it. I already sold my original copy. And I would still buy it even if I had my original copy. Even if there is only a slight improvement in picture and sound quality this would still be worth the purchase.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
If I missed it in the first 90 posts, I apologize, but has anyone else besides Herb compared the 2 dvds? Looking at the screen shots is nice, but obviously not the same as comparing the dvds while watching them. I own the original disc and if the new picture is actually better could see spending for it. Right now, Herb has said the pq is roughly the same and I don't think anyone else has said "I have both versions and the new one looks better." :)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Well, some find it one of their five best movies ever (really - in the whole history of film since time began), and some find it on overrated overlong film with good performances and some interesting scenes. Some find the robbery and shootout the best ever put on film, some don't. What can we learn from this? That different people feel different things. None of us are lesser for it, although reading some posts here you'd sure think that those who are not fawning over this thing are somehow not as "with it" as those who are.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

You haven't seen my dvd collection have you? I have a huge collection of crime drama dvds. Movies ranging from LA Confidential,The Usual Suspects,Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and so on. I still feel Heat is in a league of it's own.
Yes, LA Confidential is another spectacular movie, I enjoyed that movie very much. I was raving about Guy Pierce and Russell Crowe's performance well before anyone knew who they were. But again, there is something special about Heat and if you think that I am overrating it then that's fine, to each his own. I love it! And if you can show me another shootout scene as intense and good as the one in Heat then I would like to hear your opinion. Even the build up to it in the bank had my heart racing.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

If you are referring to the HTF at large, you may be correct. If you are referring to this particular thread then I don't see that type of behaviour. I do see someone accusing another HTF member of not viewing many crime films though. :)

BTW, since this is a DVD review thread, it logically follows that the majority of posters are likely to be fans of the reviewed work. Since you profess to not liking the film, do you expect to be showered with praise? :)

- Walter.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Here's a novel idea: maybe this thread can get back on track and discuss the actual DVD that's being released next Tuesday.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I agree. Everybody is different and has different opinions, I don't want us to live in the Equilibrium society. I love discussing films with people on this forum whether or not we agree. But by the time the discussion is over, you better agree with me. Just kidding.:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yes, that is a novel idea Brent, but show me a dvd review where sooner or later people don't start discussing the film content itself and how good or bad it is. Never happens.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
"I do see someone accusing another HTF member of not viewing many crime films though."

Well, Mr. Kittel, since you were responding to my post, it would seem like you're attributing the above to ME. Tain't so, McGee. Never said it. It'd be nice if you didn't lump everyone together in your responses, which you do a lot.

I don't expect huzzahs for my having a different opinion, neither do I expect to be preached at as if I were somehow lesser for not liking this film like others. I'm sorry, but that IS what comes through some of these posts.

I have posted my thoughts on the quality of the transfer, which is excellent as is the sound. I have posted my thoughts on the extras, which I found to be the usual Warners talking heads and clips - just doesn't interest me at all.

Again, I enjoy parts of the film, and I certainly like some of the performances. I just find it overlong at close to three hours. IMO, tighter would be better. Too many scenes just go on and on, as if Mr. Mann were afraid to cut one frame of his film.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

According to two of three other DVD review sites, they give a slight edge to the new version.

The other said the older version is slightly more detailed with more artifacts and a digital look, where as the new one is slightly softer but fewer artifacts and less digital looking.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Arthur - My apologies if I ruffled your feathers. I was ( I thought obviously since it was only three posts back. ) making a reference to Steve's post.

Everyone else - sorry for cluttering up this thread.

I'm on the fence about this edition, but I'll probably give it a go. It was my second favorite film of '95; so why not?

- Walter.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Amazon and DDD dont have this listed?! Ive seen this on Amazon but its gone; I want to preorder!

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks