What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Oscar

Second Unit
Guys, i think we should start a petition to Warner to release a reissue of this DVD.

Personally i won´t buy the May 28th one.

Here is what i want:

1:An audio-commentary with someone of the crew.

I don´t think Chris Columbus can, but if Stephen Sommers or Brendan Fraser could for the audio-commentary of the Ultimate edition of The Mummy could, i don´t see why not taking out 2 and a half hours of your life sitting in a chair commenting about how they made the film and everything.

Considering that C.Columbus loves doing commentaries.

2:Video tapes of auditions.

3:Interviews with the cast and crew

4:Featurettes on the making of the film.

5: Photos from the set.

6:Storyboards played to the music of John Williams.

7: All the talk show appeareances of the cast.

Also i would want a DTS-ES track.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Oscar: You can boycott if you want, but as long as they provide me with a fairly decent transfer in it's OAR, then the extras are just that, extras.

Oscar

Second Unit
I never said that i wanted to boycott the May edition.

But how about Warner releasing a Muggle edition of the DVD?.

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok guys. But i am not speaking for myself, i am speaking in thousands of HTphiles and HP fans out there who were dissapointed with what WB did.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, perhaps i am behaving like an idiot.

I forgot that DVD is about the quality presentation of the film.

And after all, i only watch the extras that interest me.

I am an idiot.

Oscar

Second Unit
I will still think about it.

For example i never brought the first edition of Memento because i felt that it was an important film, i thought it deserved more.

Same with Harry Potter. Harry Potter is about to become or already is a children´s classic, it wouldn´t be bad for WB to release an edition directed towards adults or muggles.

Also i am afraid that i won´t be buying the disc in regards of the quality.

But don´t worry there is always THX Optmode.

But i am not dissapointing with what they are saying about the soundtrack, as long as it sounds as good or surpasses the theatrical version, I am happy.

I think we will have to wait and see, i will go to Best Buy (considering that Wal-Mart won´t have the widescreen version) and look at the specs and think and re-think if it needs that kind of treatment.

Depending on what my soul and mind tell me, i will buy it or i will leave it there and wait for a Super Muggle Special Edition.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
I can not wait for this DVD. My 6 and 5 year old kids have been asking about it for weeks now. They will have no problem with the transfer or lack of extras. This should be one of the highest selling DVDs this year.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'm not buying it due to the extras. I have no interest in trying to navigate the second disc (I know how much of a pain it is from people I know with the DVD) and the actual content does not swing it for me to buy a movie I thought reasonable but not excellent.

However, if I were a massive fan of the film I would buy it...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I wanted to buy this DVD, and I still might. But is there any chance Warner will put out a version with the trasnfer improved. From what I've read of the reviews, that is the worst thing about this release. Followed by piss-poor extras that are a real pain in the a$$ to access. Why don't they put an option at the beginning menu for Normal Menus or Magic Menus.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I wanted to buy this DVD, and I still might. But is there any chance Warner will put out a version with the transfer improved.
If I remember correctly the original film quality was not that great. Is it fair to criticize a DVD that faithfully duplicates the movie? Is it even possible for a DVD to look better than the original master is? I suspect if you are going to wait for a better transfer, you will be waiting quite a long time. I am going to be buying this DVD so that my family and I can once again enjoy the movie we saw last year. In my opinion that is the only reason to buy any DVD. Anything else included on the DVD (whether you appreciate the extras or not) is a bonus.

Chris

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
But how about Warner releasing a Muggle edition of the DVD?
I recently interviewed Paul Hemstreet, who produced the DVD, and he hinted that WHV would eventually be revisiting the Harry Potter movies either in some kind of boxed set or, more likely, companion discs along the lines of The Matrix Revisited.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Muggle edition? Isn't that the P&S version?

I already have this on pre-order (from Canada), so I guess my vote is already in.

Hi Ron,
I own the (identical ?) RC2 Release and finding the correct key is not a problem at all. The problem rather seems to be your dvd locking up.
It should work like this: When you pick the wrong key the keys change places BUT the right key is moved closer and closer to the viewer. After the second wrong pick the magic key is put largely in the centre of the screen - impossible to miss.
So it's all quite easy, provided the DVD is ok. ;)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I got my Canadian copy yesterday from an unnamed source. It is very nice and the dialogs and cover all contain the word philosopher. Nice to finally see the movie as it was intended.

About the second disc... well, I spend over an hour trying to find something interesting and just wasted my time. Most of the extras are just short summaries/edits from the movie itself about different subject. I.e. hardly any new content. The 15 minute interviews was very nice, but I would like to see so much more.

And having to go through all these puzzles to see something puzzles me alot. I guess we need a title number list to the different sections for fast access.

Ron Birk

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I am an idiot.
I wouldn't go that far... I was just confused as you seemed to contradict yourself. I understand that you were speaking for others with your post. No harm, no foul:)
As for me, Chapters online just shipped my Canadian HP disc. Should have it a few days before it's on shelves here. Maybe I should import more often;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks