What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Good Morning Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think 2.0 form would have still had a poor mix. 2.0 sounds terrible by comparison to PCM on LD. I think we can agree on that. Now if Disney had used the PCM soundtrack then I'm all for that :emoji_thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When you read my reviews, you must always remember that I'm a bitter, hateful bastard. That'll allow my point of view to make more sense! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I have a 36" Song WEGA, and I watch flicks with the "anamorphic squeeze" activated. Perhaps not the world's most revealing TV, but I think it's decent. (I'd like to get a bigger set but I won't do so until I move someday - the WEGA weighs 200+ lbs., so I have nowhere else to put it!)

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Not only was it released in true stereo (Dolby Stereo), it also had 70mm 6-track Dolby Stereo prints in play in 1987-88.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the news, my interest in this release just went up considerably. The old release was fine for my needs, but the lip sync issue in the middle was irritating.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
In the green header at the top of page it says Release Date: January 17, 2005. Did this come out last year or is that a typo?

David

Drea Bruss

Grip

I still have the old disc, and the packaging says it's DD 5.1, but my Marantz receiver says it is 4.1, it is showing a mono surround channel, not stereo.

I listened to parts of it and the 4.1 track does sound very front centric, and very "big fat mono" like.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
That's a shame, sounds like they used the same audio for both dvd's.....I think they would have been much better off using the laserdisc audio tracks, now those kick!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I always wonder how these decisions get made. It also seems typical that beyond the surface "DD compression versus PCM" issues, that the 2.0 on laserdiscs sounds so much better...even "mix" wise (which is especially ironic to say that a "2.0 mix" can sound so much better than a 5.1 mix...but it's so often the case!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks