What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Gone With The Wind - Four Disc Collector's Ed. (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't agree more. As God is my witness :D I never said I wanted those outtakes back in the film.

May I dare say that what we want is just to WATCH them? And not only the deleted scenes but real outtakes, that is, scenes not used because the costumes were wrong, the lighting poor or the performances needed to be improved. For instance, I'd love to see the opening porch scene the many times it was shot with Vivien's green dress instead of the white one. Do I want it back in the movie? Heavens NO! But should I be blamed for wanting to see them?

As Will has said, those shots will probably never come out. Maybe not this time but tomorrow is another day.

OK, I know, enough with the GWTW quotes...
Sorry:b

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of questions if I may.

1. Do the documentaries have english subtitles?

2. What is the picture quality like on the 'Making of'?

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'm interested in subtitles too.
Do they have any kind of subtitles for the audio commentary track? English or spanish? (the latter would be swell)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Warner US does typically not subtitle extras, while Warner Europe does subtitle most extras in several languages. However, commentaries are never subtitled (AFAIK).

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Here's a fun photo of Ellen Degeneres dressed up as Scarlett on her Halloween episode:

One more week to go!! :) I don't know if I can wait!

Andy

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
In the "Women in Hollywood" Special Edition of Premiere magazine (the one with Angelina Jolie on the cover) there's this interview with Olivia de Havilland. She talks about her career and its highlights, including of course her turn as Melanie in GWTW. Give it a read!

BTW: thanks Andrew for the funny picture! I laughed out loud just watching Ellen's expression.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a copy of "GWTW" over the weekend in NYC and I agree completely with the HTF review: the film looks splendid and the level of detail in the image is at times stunning (the supplement describing the restoration process provides some before-and-after comparisons).

I haven't had a chance to watch the two hour making-of documentary but some of the other supplements are fascinating. What a treat to have Olivia de Havilland's extensive recollections about the making of the film (shot earlier this year), although her melodramatic speaking style takes some getting used to. I particularly enjoyed the short video biographies of the supporting players---which even include the child who played the daughter of Scarlett and Rhett, who only made one other film (vocal work in "Bambi") and according to the video biography was later quoted as saying that "my career peaked at the age of five."

A terrific achievement.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

That's a publicity still of the dress she does in fact wear at the end of the film. Only in the film it's darkened to a silhouette.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, that was USED as a publicity still but it belonged to a longer scene regarded in the shooting script as "Walk to Tara" end scene, that was shot and later deleted. I guess the silouette at the end was part of that scene.

Oh my! I've repeated the whole end scene so many times I'm beginning to hate myself for ever bringing it out :angry:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
NEVER hate yourself, sweet Alejandro!

The other thread was so massive that it's understandable that people are reluctant to wade all the way through it. It contains some WONDERFUL discussions and information though (like descriptions of deleted scenes and the "other ending") so I would highly recommend it for fans who have an hour (or two) to spare in preparation for the dvd release. ;)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=gwtw

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
And there was also, another missing scene with BELLE WATLING , I read about in the 70's. But, I can't recall,
what it was.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

There were two bits with her that were cut that I can recall: during the famous scene at the carshed, Belle was originally shown tending to the wounded. And after the Klan sequence, Belle and her girls were shown at an inquest that Melanie aludes to in the carriage scene. Since the first bit was not in the novel and the second bit was never directly depicted, the Selznick and his editor were wise to eliminate them.

Bob Thomas, in the roadshow booklet for the 1967 reissue, says the preview cut ran 4 hours and 25 minutes or so. And as this footage was being eliminated, the bridging sequences with Ben Hecht's titles were being added and new bits, like the hiding under the bridge during the rainstorm, were being added. The preview cut was never, at any point, intended to be THE final cut. It was a work-in-progress.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone!

I've been trolling the forum for a good while, but I thought the time was now right to participate.

I'm embarassed to say that I've never actually seen the film, although if the treatment given to Robin Hood is any indication this is gonna be an incredible release.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Since It seems I can't post any link that works, I'll post the NY Times interview with Olivia regarding this DVD edition:

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Thanks for posting that great interview, Alejandro! Makes me look forward to what Olivia will say on the DVD, along with her apparent future participation on the Errol Flynn set. Especially liked the details about Leslie Howard (perhaps his "secret life" explains why his performance wasn't so great compared to others he gave).

Olivia really let the viewer see the soul of Melanie, who could have been boring in less capable hands. This is a controversial view, but I think Olivia is just a little bit more beautiful than Vivien in Gone with the Wind. Just a little.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Well, if it's controversial, Amy, then allow me to take your side in this argument, as I always found Olivia to be more beautiful than Vivien also. She really embodied at least my ideal of Southern womanhood in that performance.

Olivia DeHavilland is closely related to one of the first American airplane manufacturers, I believe (I recall that one of Charles Lindbergh's first planes was an "old, beat-up DeHavilland"). Thank God she did not become a permanent recluse abroad like Dietrich or Garbo and the world finally is able to know her precious memories of perhaps the greatest film of all time.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thanks for posting that great interview with Olivia, Alejandro! It was most informative, and whetted my appetite even further for Tuesday! :)

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks