What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Gone With The Wind - Four Disc Collector's Ed. (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Absolutely...I agree 100%. Disclaimers are good for putting such material in perspective. Snipping out such material in the name of political correctness is obviously another matter altogether.

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
I've only had a chance to skim through all four disks. I found the audio on the "Making of a Legend" documentary terrible. It sounds as if a stereo/delay/reverb filter was applied resulting in almost no audio in the center channel. The narration is hard to hear above the music, and sounds as if it was recorded in a tunnel. I checked my VHS copy of the same program, and that was fine - with most of the music and all of the narration in the center channel. There are no other audio channels on the documentary, and the rest of the special features on the same disc sound fine.

On disc 4, the Vivian Leigh documentary sounds fine except for one piece of narration at 34:00. It has that same effect spread across the front speakers. When it goes next to an interview clip, the audio returns to normal. I've also noticed that the film clip audio on the Clark Gable documentary has a large amount of hiss, which is not present anywhere else.

I am have not seen this problem mentioned anywhere else, and am curious to see if anyone else has this on their set, or if this is just a problem with the Canadian version.I am sure it is not my DVD player or audio setup. I have not yet exchanged the set.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I've watched all the bonus material and I will agree that the Vivian Leigh doc is better than the Clark Gable doc. I didn't think the Gable doc was boring, but the film clips showed from his career are long clips.

The two hour doc was fascinating, but my favorite doc was about the restoration of the movie.

The I've only made it through half of the movie, but the PQ is just stunning.

Peace,

DM

Real Name
Anthony
I finally got round to watching GWTW for the FIRST time last night !! It's a great movie, much better and more involving than I thought it would be, and the WB disc is exemplary.

However . . . on my copy there seems to be a horrible glitch at 18.11 minutes into the movie. It's brief but quite shocking, as if the print is completely misregistered for a second (though it looks more digital than that). Anyone else noticed this, or do I have a faulty disc ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks