What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Ghost Ship" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried to compare this to the Canadian title Triangle which is another similar movie?
Well, since I haven't seen Ghost Ship yet I can't compare them, but Triangle was mediocre at best. I'm not expecting Ghost Ship to be anything more than the same story with better production values; I'd suggest you go in without any higher expectations...:D

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts but have a feeling that this will be bad. God bless free rentals for working at video stores, I can usually watch anything knowing that it was free.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Uh, Ron...this isn't from me.

I haven't seen the film.

But my wife saw it in theaters with friends and loved it. Uh, she says something that rhymes with "bright me". :b

She appreciates that you think the video and audio are top notch, and the supplements sound cool to her. So she's getting it. Thanks.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Ghost Ship came from the same director who gave us Thirteen Ghosts
SOLD! My son loved that movie! SOME things are more important than actual movie "quality" - like seeing your son's eyes light up at the thought of a cool/gross scary movie. A "priceless" moment for $15 and the cost of some Orville Reddenbocker.

What can I say??? My dad did the same thing for me at that age ... sat through some truly horrific stinkers that I enjoyed.

BTW, love the poster/artwork!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to bad horror films so despite the fact that I haven't even BEGUN my toenail collection, I am compelled to give this a rent.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
The first 2 minutes of the movie are it's best part. After that it sinks like a rock. The picture quality may be fantastic, but it definately doesn't make up for the rest of the movie.

Glad I got a free viewing...

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are nuts. This movie was awesome. It was fun and wasn't cracking one liners every 10 seconds. One of the best horror films of 2002. Last year was a down year for horror, but this was a very enjoyable film. It was way better than the ultra crappy Halloween Ressurection, Fear Dot Com and The Ring.

I will definately be picking it up.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

transfer is fine.
sound is low and front heavy - certainly not on par with previous Dark Castle releases.

rent only!

if you're desperate!

the montage was the best scene.
and Francesca :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ghost Ship, 13 Ghosts, and House on Haunted Hill remind me of those American International horror flicks of the early 60s--lotsa tasty cheese with good production values.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost Ship.

Below was a film, and a very good one.

Ghost Ship is a movie, and imho a very good one.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I wasn't even going to rent this because of all the bad reviews, but my wife went ahead and picked it up at Best Buy today. We just finished watching it and we both enjoyed it a lot! I don't understand while people are trashing it so badly. It may not be the most original film in the world, but it was a fun ride--far from boring. Maybe we were just in the right mood. Anyway, I'm really glad she picked it up. I think it's worthy of at least a Friday night popcorn rental.

FredK

Second Unit

NOOOOOOOOOOO! When I saw this cover last week I had nightmares about getting the a 1st, non-SE, Reloaded release with one of these covers and nothing but flashy green code... like the poor release poster and st covers.

BTW, GS is a horrible movie, it doesn't even have a lot of the redeeming dead people make-up/effects that makes this stuff worth while (13 Ghosts).

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't understand what's so bad about this movie. Sure it's stupid..all horror movies are stupid. I found it to be just as "scary" as almost every other horror movie I've seen. It's reading threads like this that make me REAL glad I'm the only one that chooses which DVD's I watch.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well... my wife and I are some of the weird folks who enjoyed this flick. Even if the best part was that opening scene! ;) (Doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for "haunted boat" flicks... loved "Below" too!)

Personally, I enjoy these schlocky Dark Castle flicks. A guilty pleasure!! :) As Steve said above "lotsa tasty cheese with good production values". :D

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys,

well i got to admit, that i like the film and enjoyed watching it. it is certainly not a big art work but i do like gabriel byrne and i do like those *ten little niggers* stories. i also liked the woman dressed in red, even better when she was undressed later :D :D :D

btw: is it just me, or are there a few people more who think ghost ship is actually a remake of *event horizon* ? i mean one film is set in space the other is set on an ocean but the plot is IMO nearly 100% the same (a ship which disappeard for many years, a rescue/recovery team, the encounter of *something evil*, the unability to get away during the destroying of the crews ship, the shocking beginning and the shocking end)

regards, holger

p.s. *event horizon* is still way better of course

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I watched it last night. Yep, the missus asked and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

Not nearly as bad as y'all made it out to be, at all. I was prepared to be appalled, and found myself rather enjoying various twists here and there...even the cliche ones (like the bean-eating scene).

As the main climax hit during what I'll refer to as the "floating upward scene" (I think that's a spoiler-free way of indicating which one so that folks who watched it know what I mean), as you saw things swirling around the stern of the ship I was thinking that it wasn't great, it wasn't art, I might not be inclined to watch it again (though the missus has seen it 3 times now, incl. the theater). But that I had enjoyed myself.

After that scene's conclusion, there was the "afterward" sequence with just the actress from ER (I can never spell her name right). During that I was thinking "what's the point of this part?", except for wrapping things up. Then there was the end, when you saw what the flunky-guys were bringing up the ramp. If they had cut it there, and left things as a question mark, it would have been nifty.

Instead, they added those few seconds at the end (the part which left her screaming). That was a bad attempt at an Oh, Henry ending, and brought us firmly into the Twilight Zone. And not one of the good episodes, either. :)

They should have left it the question mark, instead of the oh shit. The last moment, coupled with the wildly out-of-place music (I didn't hate the music, it just didn't belong there...a Goldsmith-type score would have been more appropriate) over the end credits, took a film that I had just a few moments ago considered in the "B to B-" territory, and brought it down to "C-" territory, emotionally.

The film had a nice visual look and style. And even though you could see many things coming, I for one was surprised as to the nature of the situation, and what/who was behind it. And the DVD was certainly a great disc overall - Warner cannot be faulted for this release.

In the end, My feeling is that it was a fun enough ride and I appreciate that Bob Zemeckis and Joel Silver and Gilbert Adler brought it to us...even if there WAS a speedbump at the very end.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Agree about the speed bump at the end, but it was no worse than "what's her name?" at the end of Red Dragon.

Maybe they were setting us up for the possibility of a sequel? Of course they could still have stopped with the reveal of what cargo was being loaded.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
That opeing scene was utterly disturbing to the infinite degree. I hated it. I guess I'm not a big fan of the "gross, disturbing scene". Still disturbs me just thinking about it!! I think I need therapy now.:frowning:

Nick P

Second Unit
I absolutely love these schlockey Dark Castle movies. I'd place Thir13en Ghosts as my favorite, Ghost Ship second and House on Haunted Hill running a close third.

BTW, since I have no life I went through this thread and took a score. Of those who actually saw the movie and offered their opinion the yea's are out scoring the na's 14-6!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks